Guitar solo faces make more sense when they're holding giant slugs.

Islander

I read an interview with Carlos Santana, in which he said he got the scheduling at Woodstock mixed up.  He thought they had twelve hours before they went onstage, so the band did some acid.

Instead, they had to go on in an hour or two.  Like real troupers, they did go on, but the neck of Carlos's guitar seemed to be a snake, so he had to wrestle with it to keep it in tune.  The band members talk about it in this clip.

Santana on Woodstock and LSD:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8LcqwL8a00

• Like 1

It doesn't work that way.  You learn to play decently first, without popping pills, usually at a young age before pills or other are available.  Or at least used to be.  Once you get to a certain level, your brain and muscle memory takes over and you can still play decently despite popping pills (or other).  Next in the progression if you let it get that far is that the pills (other) get out of hand and your playing then suffers.  Then you either get over it and return or it's all downhill from there.  But no one, I mean no one puts ketchup on a hot dog---wait I mean no one ever played decently from popping pills (other) without first being able to play decently beforehand.

• Like 2

oldtimer got it right.  Joe Walsh, for example, learned to play several instruments when he was young, including the oboe and clarinet.  He moved on to the guitar, and later to vodka.  Lots of vodka.  When I saw him play twice in 2012, Joe mentioned that he'd only been drunk once, but it lasted 38 years.

While he was touring in New Zealand in 1989, he started to straighten out, and after blacking out on a flight to Paris in 1994, he has been sober ever since.  This was a problem at first, because he'd long ago forgotten how to play sober.  After quite a bit of practice, and with encouragement from his wife, Marjorie Bach, he recorded his first "sober" record, Analog Man, in 2012.

Joe's song One Day at a Time is about his drinking and how he got over it.

Joe Walsh - One Day At A Time:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlfCyHbLdpI

Now he seems to have finally found happiness.

Joe Walsh - Family:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCqWMk8jXeY

His looks seem to be improving, since he looks to be losing the growing boozer nose he used to have.

Edited by Islander
  • Like 1