Trust Building / Reputation

joessportster

can't believe how people have the balls to say what they say when it's none of their business.

Choking is a scary situation,panicked or not. I have to keep telling myself to take smaller bites and to cut things smaller and chew longer.

• Like 2

Well my cynical nature, not really cynical, just realistic, has been proven wrong. The Monster Power Center I bought off of the auction site was delivered. I had bought it knowing I would be on vacation & it was to be delivered to my house while I was there. Instead it sat on my porch for a few days indicating to anyone who cared that I was indeed not home.

Anyway an awesome packing job of deflated old airbags & some crumpled up newspapers protected the item so that it was delivered in working order. No Styrofoam or cardboard wedges for this item, no sir. One strip of tape down the middle of the box, why bother with sealing the sides? The tape holding the box closed was so cheap that I left the box on my porch on Friday night so as not to bring any crickets who could have set up home there, inside my house. I plugged it in & somehow it works perfectly, despite the combined efforts of the seller & the shipping gorillas. Will wonders ever cease?

• Like 1

I have 2 fears of how I'm going to die. Choking,and drowning. 

I've obsessed over this a lot in the past.  Realistically though, short of a gunshot to the head, most everybody goes in the same way... lack of oxygen to the brain.  The only question is how fast that happens and how conscious you are.  Very few people go peacefully with no pain or panic unfortunately.  One of my favorite song lyrics is from Metallica's Frantic:  Do I have the strength to know how I'll go? Can I find it inside to deal with what I shouldn't know?

Regarding my previous “coward” statement, had an example of that yesterday.  I was supposed to have a guy show up at 10 AM and was even giving him a good price.  He sent his information and I had everything ready to go and waiting on him.  He just doesn’t show up.  And, of course, he won’t answer his phone, as usual.  He’ll text though, as usual.  I asked him what happened to 10 AM, he said some rambling nonsensical crap about being called in to work and he doesn’t know when he can get there now and that I can sell it to somebody else.  This is usually the coward’s way of backing out, I’ve been around long enough to know this.  I push him a little just to admit it, straight up asking if he wants to reschedule or if he is backing out and he just wouldn’t answer.  I don’t understand why people won’t just man-up and be straightforward about their intentions.  People come across as a shady little coward when they do this.  

Same thing happened here 2 days ago, selling a junk car guy texts I live in same town and have XXXX$ Tell him bring cash and first come first served 6pm that evening I text him you coming over, he responds you said you had someone else getting it, I said no its here if you want it,  He says I am too busy I will call later

next day another guy calls offers dad more and picks the car up (I was happy to meet the 2nd guy)

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I didn't grow up with a good family backing, so I am very good at reading bad people, and have become accustomed to not really understanding someone when they are genuine with me, and feel I owe them something when they do something for me. I don't always feel thank you is enough. Maybe it's all in my head, but that's me. I will however go out of my way to help others when I can still as I believe in Karma.

Ah Karma.  Who knew she could be so-o-o Good, and so Very Bad?

Had wife and Kids heading for Disney Land when a guy got stuck to the axles in the fresh watered grass at a rest area.  Big PU with camper on the back so I said I'd pull em out.  Did so and the guy wanted to pay me.  Bad enough that the wife put the kids in the camper and got the shot gun.  Told him I didn't mean no insult and where I come from if somebody needs a hand you just do it.  Said it gave me something to discus with the family going down the road.

Learned much later that his mind set was that I felt I was Too Good to take his Money.  I'd just never thought of charging.

If you guys figure out that more trust / openness angle to living by all means share the info with me, I try to treat people the way I wish to be treated. Hell with this transaction I gave the guy every chance to do the right thing

once he started the name calling that was pretty much the last straw and the deal was called

There's both Good and bad people.  Don't let the Bad ruin it for the Good.  Hard to be happy if your pissed off.

Make up for it by giving extra Hugs all the way around.  The Family I mean.  Might be weird if you were to start hugging strangers.  :D

In my mid 20's went to the lake with the (then) wife and girls, hit a beach ball out of reach and swam out to retrieve Odd thing about a ball on open water when you grab at it it just spins out from your hands, attempted to grab it a few times and realized Damn I am tired, look around and see hey the shore is pretty far away........

Panic sets in, Thankfully I told myself to keep calm, and thought simple, roll over on your back and float, then lightly kick feet till I reach shore 

Had a choking incident early 30's as well, Eating dinner and some meat (cant recall) gets stuck Scared the hell outta me, went to the sink and calmed myself then drew back and hacked / coughed as hard as I could muster and it came up Current (and last) wife was freaking out

what did I learn PANIC is the killer  :ph34r:

Don't know how to post a link, but google

Self-Administering the Heimlich Maneuver

The Heimlich Maneuver is proven.  If no one else is there what ya gonna do?  Improvise :unsure:.  Know as much as you can of both doing the Heimlich on someone else.  Little Lady can do a Big Man.  If you have to do it on yourself it may be convenient if you are familiar with several ways.  It may help ya keep from panicking.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I didn't grow up with a good family backing, so I am very good at reading bad people, and have become accustomed to not really understanding someone when they are genuine with me, and feel I owe them something when they do something for me. I don't always feel thank you is enough. Maybe it's all in my head, but that's me. I will however go out of my way to help others when I can still as I believe in Karma.

Ah Karma.  Who knew she could be so-o-o Good, and so Very Bad?

Had wife and Kids heading for Disney Land when a guy got stuck to the axles in the fresh watered grass at a rest area.  Big PU with camper on the back so I said I'd pull em out.  Did so and the guy wanted to pay me.  Bad enough that the wife put the kids in the camper and got the shot gun.  Told him I didn't mean no insult and where I come from if somebody needs a hand you just do it.  Said it gave me something to discus with the family going down the road.

Learned much later that his mind set was that I felt I was Too Good to take his Money.  I'd just never thought of charging.

If you guys figure out that more trust / openness angle to living by all means share the info with me, I try to treat people the way I wish to be treated. Hell with this transaction I gave the guy every chance to do the right thing

once he started the name calling that was pretty much the last straw and the deal was called

There's both Good and bad people.  Don't let the Bad ruin it for the Good.  Hard to be happy if your pissed off.

Make up for it by giving extra Hugs all the way around.  The Family I mean.  Might be weird if you were to start hugging strangers.  :D

In my mid 20's went to the lake with the (then) wife and girls, hit a beach ball out of reach and swam out to retrieve Odd thing about a ball on open water when you grab at it it just spins out from your hands, attempted to grab it a few times and realized Damn I am tired, look around and see hey the shore is pretty far away........

Panic sets in, Thankfully I told myself to keep calm, and thought simple, roll over on your back and float, then lightly kick feet till I reach shore 

Had a choking incident early 30's as well, Eating dinner and some meat (cant recall) gets stuck Scared the hell outta me, went to the sink and calmed myself then drew back and hacked / coughed as hard as I could muster and it came up Current (and last) wife was freaking out

what did I learn PANIC is the killer  :ph34r:

Don't know how to post a link, but google

Self-Administering the Heimlich Maneuver

The Heimlich Maneuver is proven.  If no one else is there what ya gonna do?  Improvise :unsure:.  Know as much as you can of both doing the Heimlich on someone else.  Little Lady can do a Big Man.  If you have to do it on yourself it may be convenient if you are familiar with several ways.  It may help ya keep from panicking.

Yea I hear ya John Hugging strangers will likely land you in jail, At the very least in the dog house as I am sure the wife would frown on my selection of strangers to Hug  :unsure:

As far as choking I found another cure that has worked so far, Pull your teeth and you can not chew much meat so you are forced to cut it up smaller and smash it with gums (overdoing that starts to hurt like hell)  :D

Edited by joessportster
  • Like 1