Trust Building / Reputation

joessportster

Until there's an in-person interaction I pretty much assume all people I meet online are scumbags.

This.  The cheaper the product and the more they haggle, the more this is true.  I'd rather sell nothing but higher dollar items where I only get 5% of the interest than to sell cheap stuff and have to wade through scumbags every day.  Which, is exactly what will happen.  

• Like 1

I can honestly say though, that 99.9% of the time I do what I say I'm going to do

I do what I say I'm going to do, period, even if I regret that later.  If there's a delay, I communicate that.  On the horrifically rare occasion that I change my mind, I communicate that.  Anybody who does otherwise is a coward.  The internet and texting has made it too easy for cowards to disappear.  I'm old school, I like the most real interaction as possible given the circumstances, agree on something and stick with it.  Cowards don't like that, they can disappear or go against their word too easily without giving a reason for doing so.  The more anonymous the interaction the worse this is.  I really don't like people who make this their lifestyle.  People nowadays need to man up and go old school.  Younger people with lesser income are the worst about this.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Well, I will leave it at this, the situation was closed out and there will always be 3 sides to a story. Anyone else on here that has dealt with me knows how easy it is/was to contact me. That was also why I had stated to post emails with responses.

I don't want to go back to that issue however, both parties have their opinions and there is an electronic paper trail right through this site alone. And I did offer to make things right even after everything and was told no. But I also did not go out and threaten anyone with a "lawsuit" over a verbal agreement.

He had a right to be pee oed, as I would be, but at the same time, I would not trash someone online in a forum like I was trashed. Especially since he did not know the reason for everything.

I personally would have emailed here (as he did do), emailed my personal email (not saying he did or didn't as it may have gone into my junk), called my office as it's in my signature along with my address and cell phone, and would have sent regular mail.

Now from a business transaction, if I had something to sell, and had this issue,even as angry as I may have been would have still sold item for sale to same person. But that's just me. And after the situation that was had, and after sale, I would then distance myself.

Until there's an in-person interaction I pretty much assume all people I meet online are scumbags. It doesn't mean I won't interact with you, and it's certainly not personal.. it just keeps me from getting sloppy and surprised.

So the guy with the badge is looking inward and wondering if the stereo gear is to impress people, and then turns around and say he assumes most people online are scumbags. Same advice as before with an addition

1. Change the pic

2. DROP THE BADGE!

"Right-On Sarg!

Could not have said it better.

And to think someone gave this Debbie-Downer a Badge :o"  MM

Mark

Edited by ZEUS121996
  • Like 1

Until there's an in-person interaction I pretty much assume all people I meet online are scumbags. It doesn't mean I won't interact with you, and it's certainly not personal.. it just keeps me from getting sloppy and surprised.

A cautious cynic. Sounds bad but I understand completely. I've worked with the public all my life in a few different career configurations. My great respite from this is my long time involvement with Freemasonry. My Lodge Brethren are all straight shooters that I trust implicitly. It makes for a nice space and great relationships with guys and thier families where one dosent need the wall or filter up all the time.

• Like 1

I too have been lucky, although I shouldn't have to use that particular word in normal relations, but I have never had a bad experience with another forum member, whether a transaction or personal interaction. I always go by the old saying "Fool me once, shame on you - fool me twice, you ah ..can't get fooled again".

I bought an H/K 430 from a forum member. It came, loosely packed with some styrofoam peanuts and a towel wrapped around it. Amazingly, nothing was broken and it has worked flawlessly for a number of years.

I wouldn't buy anything from him again.

Bruce

I've got plenty of great friendships that began as an online-only interaction. i simply keep my guard up to some degree until i can look a man in the eye and shake his hand.

as of today, there's only two people from the forum that i have no real desire to meet.. everyone else gets me giddy at the prospect. so unhurt thine butts.

• Like 1

A cautious cynic. Sounds bad but I understand completely. I've worked with the public all my life in a few different career configurations. My great respite from this is my long time involvement with Freemasonry. My Lodge Brethren are all straight shooters that I trust implicitly. It makes for a nice space and great relationships with guys and thier families where one dosent need the wall or filter up all the time.

How far have you traveled... :)

Roger

• Like 1

The forum members I have met both in person and net have been wonderful people, never an issue here that was not dealt with in an adult manner

There is like this I want to help air about this forum, most other forums I visit you can ask till blue in the face with no responses unless it is some snide remark or some jerk trying to show off his vocabulary and tell you how many ways you are an idiot

I had a dealing with Jim and he was pretty much spot on with what our agreement was, I heard about the other thing but stayed neutral, I consider both of them friends

Glad your back is better Jim (I know how that can be)

People didn't change just because the internet was invented. What did change was the communication. It got much more narrow and sparse. An email has about 1% of the total communication you get in person. If a picture is worth a thousands words, a face to face is worth 10,000.

Email and text is a sparse, threadbare type of communication. Lots of people seem to misunderstand the shortcomings of it. It's true that if you rely on narrow communications you will have problems. People haven't changed.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

How far have you traveled... :)Roger

Made my way through the chairs and was Worshipful Master in 2012. Following my IPM year I found myself at the Secretary's desk and am still there. Yellowknife Lodge 162 under the Grand Lodge of Alberta.

Still planning on the Scottish Rite....

People didn't change just because the internet was invented. What did change was the communication. It got much more narrow and sparse. An email has about 1% of the total communication you get in person. If a picture is worth a thousands words, a face to face is worth 10,000.

Email and text is a sparse, threadbare type of communication. Lots of people seem to misunderstand the shortcomings of it. It's true that if you rely on narrow communications you will have problems. People haven't changed.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Not sure who you deal with but it is inherently clear to me that people have indeed changed quite a bit, You would have to live in a cave to believe that values today are the same as they were back in the 50's..................Like it or not we are what our values are