Sub pops when getting off of the couch.

Mikekid

I believe the sound you are hearing is noise induced onto the input cable upon a static discharge. The static is using the shield on your cable to get to ground which induces a common impedance mode noise into the input of your sub which is single ended(not balanced) and therefore has very low CMR. The solution(or at least partial solution) is to give the static an easier path to ground. Does the sub have 2 or 3 prong input power cable?

• Like 3

Both subs are 3 prong. I'll try an adapter tomorrow and get back. Thanks! :emotion-21:

I'd be really surprised if that fixed it.  The problem is on the signal side as Eric stated.  If there was a practical way to ground the couch, that would probably take care of your problem.  What material is on the cushion covers?

CEC...

The couch is built on a metal base running around the entire edge of couch. It's a heavy sob. No legs. I know you guys are right in that it's a ground issue creating static running through the sub cable. I am going to look for some kind of thin rubber, or wood runners to put under the entire metal base of this thing. Just need to find something fairly thin, but tall enough to clear this rug so we don't have to use a ladder to get on the couch. (We are kind of short people) ;)  I think you have me going the right direction ..... I have not tried the foil option yet. Going to the store soon. Worth a try too. Thanks so much for all the replies here!~ And a few good laughs too!

Mike.

CECAA850,

I just finished wrapping the sub cable behind the couch with 2 layers of tinfoil and then stuffed it back under. All of these years listening to this and it was as simple as wrapping in tinfoil!!!! 90% FIXED! We can barely hear it now. This is one of the reasons I have been checking in to this forum for so many years now (June 1999). I appreciate you and the others here more than you know. If you ever wind up out here in western Montana, I owe you a dinner. :)  :emotion-21:

Thanks so much!

Mike.

Edited by Mikekid

I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around why this works. Are we talking about the signal input cable being wrapped with tinfoil? Or the power cord? Or both? And then it is just floating? Anybody got an explanation?

Oh and BTW its aluminum foil not tin right?

Edited by babadono

Oh and BTW its aluminum foil not tin right?

I'd assume so.  I've been saying "tin" as opposed to "aluminum" foil for years.  I guess out of laziness.

Funny how things get ingrained in our culture, the product's been made out of aluminum for who knows how long but we all still say "tinfoil". It is not your laziness I don't think.

Both subs are 3 prong. I'll try an adapter tomorrow and get back. Thanks! :emotion-21:

First things first.

Three prong plugs is what you want, plug them into a KNOWN grounded outlet.

My question is: are these outlets REALLY Grounded? have you checked?

Wrong!

All your equipment should be grounded at one point only. Everything else should have their grounds isolated (lifted) with a 3 to 2 prong adapter. This lets the system ground "float" and seek it's own level and avoids ground loops (which can be even more dangerous). "Ideally" one would have their audio equipment on a separate circuit using it's own isolated ground (isolated from the rest of the circuits in the building).

Yes, check to make sure the electrical outlet that everything is plugged into is actually grounded. Also check that the polarity is correct. Many older homes are not. Floating grounds in home wiring were generally allowed well into the 80's. You can buy a polarity checker at most hardware and electrical parts stores.

The electrical ground wire is usually green. If there isn't any green wire in the electrical outlet junction box then the building is just sending the ground through the wiring conduit. Building codes vary by location/community, and change over time.

If static electricity is getting in the signal line you might have a loose connection (cable or equipment connector).

If you live in a dry climate you might want to consider a humidifier. Also consider a permanent static treatment for the upholstery and carpet.

Edited by artto