Newbie Here

AliRashdan

• 1 month later...

Ali, some receivers have a power button on the front, AND an on/off switch on the rear near the power cord.  Make sure your AVR is turned on in the back. 

And while you are back there, make sure the power cord is firmly seated.  They can go in a little but still not make good contact.

• Like 1

I looked up your Denon, that is a nice looking AVR.

XL_de_avrx6200w_e2_sp_re_bg001_hi.png

I did not see an off/off switch in the back, so it's not that. 

I did have another thought.  Is the outlet you plugged into a SWITCHABLE outlet?  It might have an on/off switch on the wall.  You might try simply plugging the Denon into another outlet you know works and see if you can get it to at least light up.

• Like 1

I looked up your Denon, that is a nice looking AVR.

XL_de_avrx6200w_e2_sp_re_bg001_hi.png

I did not see an off/off switch in the back, so it's not that.

I did have another thought. Is the outlet you plugged into a SWITCHABLE outlet? It might have an on/off switch on the wall. You might try simply plugging the Denon into another outlet you know works and see if you can get it to at least light up.

Thank u wvu. I sorted it out. I needed a power converter cuz the voltage here is different than the US
  • Like 3

Now i just have a couple of quick questions. Bear with me.

First off, my samsung 4k bluray player won't display video just audio although my ps4, cable are working fine.

Second, is it normal for the speakers to sound a bit low?

I have to crank the volume up to 75% so it could be loud

Third, i ran the audyssey auto setup and i got 40hz for the main speakers. The SW settings are LFE and the LPF for LFE is 120hz

Should i change the main speakers to small? And change the crossover of them to 80hz and the LPF for LFE to 80hz?

Second, is it normal for the speakers to sound a bit low? I have to crank the volume up to 75% so it could be loud

This is normal with these newer AVR's.  If you turn the volume up to 50 you will barely hear anything from them.  My Onkyo is the same way and 72 is my average listening volume, but if they get up to reference sound levels , that is 82 on the Onkyo, and that is loud for me.

Think of 75 on your Denon as the normal starting point, then turn it up or down from there.

Second, is it normal for the speakers to sound a bit low? I have to crank the volume up to 75% so it could be loud

This is normal with these newer AVR's. If you turn the volume up to 50 you will barely hear anything from them. My Onkyo is the same way and 72 is my average listening volume, but if they get up to reference sound levels , that is 82 on the Onkyo, and that is loud for me.

Think of 75 on your Denon as the normal starting point, then turn it up or down from there.

Thanks wvu. I just increased the level for the speakers and the volume is now high enough at 40. Now i just need to get the atmos working

Do you have the RP-140 atmos speakers plugged into the "Height" location on your receiver? 

Some bluray tracks even though they are 7.1 DTS Atmos you have to manually find the correct sound field to get the height speakers to play.. I know On my Yamaha RX-A3050 It has atleast 30-40 different sound fields and only 5-7 of them are 7.1 and only 2 or 3 will enable "ATMOS" their should be a "information" button you can push once you change the sound fields to show you on your tv which speakers you are having sound played thru by your receiver. This will take a lot of getting used to and is quite annoying for someone new, as I'm in the same boat as you and was ticked I couldn't get my new ATMOS speakers to work, lol

But what really sucked for me once I added a second set of rear ATMOS ceiling speakers and went to 7.1.4 most 7.1 movies for me only play 5.1.4 now even with my 11 channel receiver my back two rear surrounds refuse to come on..

• Like 1

Do you have the RP-140 atmos speakers plugged into the "Height" location on your receiver?

Some bluray tracks even though they are 7.1 DTS Atmos you have to manually find the correct sound field to get the height speakers to play.. I know On my Yamaha RX-A3050 It has atleast 30-40 different sound fields and only 5-7 of them are 7.1 and only 2 or 3 will enable "ATMOS" their should be a "information" button you can push once you change the sound fields to show you on your tv which speakers you are having sound played thru by your receiver. This will take a lot of getting used to and is quite annoying for someone new, as I'm in the same boat as you and was ticked I couldn't get my new ATMOS speakers to work, lol

But what really sucked for me once I added a second set of rear ATMOS ceiling speakers and went to 7.1.4 most 7.1 movies for me only play 5.1.4 now even with my 11 channel receiver my back two rear surrounds refuse to come on..

Thanks buddy. Yeah i had all the correct settings. I was trying to play the The Martian 4k uhd bluray. I thought it was mixed in dolby atmos. It seems that only the version released in theatres is in dolby atmos and not the 4k bluray. Stupid me. I'm downloading the atmos demo disc and will give it a try.

Thanks wvu. I just increased the level for the speakers and the volume is now high enough at 40. Now i just need to get the atmos working

I don't think you should do that.  It will not allow the speakers to play loud without distortion.

The problem isn't you, it's these new AVR's, they are very different from the old two-channel receivers in the way they display the numbers for the volume.

In the old days the receiver was loud if you turned it up to 1/3rd, and if you used even 1/2 to 3/4 volume it would be so loud it would drive you out of the room, all with two speakers.

Now we have 5.1, 7.1 etc. And the volume display isn't absolute, the volume is relative to REFERENCE.  That's because of the way movie sound is recorded, and because of the magic of the room correction software.  My Onkyo uses Audyssey like your Denon does, but yours is much more high level.

When you use the calibration software it balances the speakers relative to reference, which on my AVR is 82, meaning 82 db.  That means 60 db is quiet, 90 db is loud.

If you really want your system to sound loud at 40, I suggest you put the speakers back to their default levels, then go into the Denon settings and change the way the Denon displays volume, changing from relative to absolute volume.  Then when you turn the volume up a quarter, it will blast you out of the room with sound! 

I know it feels strange having to turn the sound up to 75 as a starting point, but I assure you it's normal and that is the way it was designed.  It takes a little bit of time to get used to it, then it becomes the new normal.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

I don't think you should do that. It will not allow the speakers to play loud without distortion.

The problem isn't you, it's these new AVR's, they are very different from the old two-channel receivers in the way they display the numbers for the volume.

In the old days the receiver was loud if you turned it up to 1/3rd, and if you used even 1/2 to 3/4 volume it would be so loud it would drive you out of the room, all with two speakers.

Now we have 5.1, 7.1 etc. And the volume display isn't absolute, the volume is relative to REFERENCE. That's because of the way movie sound is recorded, and because of the magic of the room correction software. My Onkyo uses Audyssey.

When you use the calibration software it balances the speakers relative to reference, which on my AVR is 82, meaning 82 db. That means 60 db is quiet, 90 db is loud.

If you really want your system to sound loud at 40, I suggest you put the speakers back to their default levels, then go into the Denon settings and change the way the Denon displays volume, changing from relative to absolute volume. Then when you turn the volume up a quarter, it will blast you out of the room with sound!

I know it feels strange having to turn the sound up to 75 as a starting point, but I assure you it's normal and that is the way it was designed. It takes a little bit of time to get used to it, then it becomes the new normal.

Thanks wvu. I'll restore them back to the original audyssey settings

Ali, you have a great AVR and great speakers!  Once you get things calibrated I would expect the sound to be outstanding!

Have you used Audyssey to set up your speakers?  My Audyssey does an excellent job and your Audyssey is better than mine.

• Like 1