Thoughts on using an equalizer

joessportster

I know it is not the purist route, but this is after all for our enjoyment so I am considering 1 as it would allow me to tailor sound  

My issue is any added noise would be UN WELCOME,  so who has used / uses and EQ and do you find it adds to the noise floor

Name brands models please

I use the graphic and parametric eq that's part of the JRiver software for my music server but for all else it's just bass and treble. A little bit of adjustment doesn't hurt....but too much boost or cut is telling of problems elsewhere. I don't have the ability to do a bunch of room treatments in the living room but maybe when I build the room above the attic, I'll have more capability. But a new set of issues.

I also have an eq in another system with a Soundcraftsmen DX4002 preamp with an A5002 amp. Still just used sparingly.

Joe, are you looking for a digital EQ like Winamp or a stand alone unit?  I know some headphones bring out the Hi's which is appealing but, maybe not accurate.  Are you all digital in the music or both digital and analog?

Edited by derrickdj1

Just about anything that is done is the digital domain, and preferably using parametric equalization filters instead of graphic, i.e., not 1/3 octave band filters, will introduce essentially no noise.  That is why I so often suggest digital active crossovers - because they have all the elements needed to do it even if you don't use the crossover function. 

You can also use the digital EQ functions that come with your streaming software.  foobar2000 has several options available if you're using flac and you use a VST plugin component, many of which are free

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/parametric-eq-freeware.250972/

Chris

Edited by Chris A

I use both digital (w/ parametric and graphic), and analog graphic with the "sliders".

As mentioned the digital is pretty seamless as far as noise goes.  I use this because I need a digital speaker processor for my MCM setup that includes K510 and K402 horns that require EQ.

The graphic is all about "getting the most out it", adjusting the gain correctly for the changes you make to the FR.  Less of everything is more.  It adds a tiny amount of noise at most when done right.  Hard to notice at all.  I use this device because I need to EQ the K402 and 510 horns in a pure analog setup with passive networks (a second system).  No other way around it as my desire is to keep this system all analog.

I am more curious at the moment, I have a pretty good balanced sound currently, and JRMC has both parametric and graphic versions I have played a bit with the graphic but keep going back to flat, I need to learn some on the parametric versions

attached is a Frequency response graph for my pair of HD800,  looks like a slight rise in mid bass from around 200HZ and then looks fairly flat out to 6K where it starts to rise If I could play with an EQ if would be to flatten the highs a bit (although they are pleasant as is.

I was looking on ebay and see some of the vintage EQ still command big bucks, there is a 30 band Technics Graphic that looks like it would allow for massive tweaking

Back in my old analog days I always had one. First one was a Pioneer then BSR... Then I bought an ADC Sound shaper SS525x ..... That was the best...... Sold it for $100.00...

Now they go for $400.00.....that figures. I always thought of them as away to expand bass and treble controls. If you had 3 way speakers.... You could kick up tweeter/ midrange and woofer.. To your liking.

Edited by oldred

Took my freq Graph and used it to play with the JRMC onboard parametric EQ, this thing is pretty cool, you can enter any freq you desire and then enter the amount of gain you wish to add or sutract

Then seamlessly click the EQ on or off and clearly hear the differences

i subtracted 1.5 db at 5,6, & 7000 hz, and added 1.5 db at 80 and 60 HZ   sounds pretty darn good  :)