reciever options

sdfanfl

I have a Denon 3600 that is still working  and it has great two channel sound. I have it hooked to a couple of KG 4's in a two channel setup. It probably weighs as much as my decade and a half newer Denon 4311. You're probably getting the picture here. However, my Denon 4311 is pretty dang close in sound quality as my Macintosh amp. My old KLF 30's sounded great, but they did seem to be a little power hungry with their dual woofers.  Sound quality should be pretty close among most of the upper models of the AVR manufactures. Personally I think you should step up a model or two regardless of what brand you go with to get a bigger power output and create more headroom and get better hardware. If you are after pure SQ, turn off all the EQ and Audyssey mess, get the treble and bass flat or just run it in pure mode like mentioned earlier.  You can do much better than the 3100 for just a couple hundred more.

Willand, No not san diego, but Steely Dan. Philadelphia transplant actually. Love all kinds of music, but Steely Dan is my all time all around favorite. Theirs were always the discs I took with me to demo speakers . Long live Becker and Fagan. Probably the the best recorded albums to find a reference point.

Willand, No not san diego, but Steely Dan. Philadelphia transplant actually. Love all kinds of music, but Steely Dan is my all time all around favorite. Theirs were always the discs I took with me to demo speakers . Long live Becker and Fagan. Probably the the best recorded albums to find a reference point.

Wow, I was way off.  Funny you say that, Aja and Two Against Nature are two of my main demo CD's.  If all "music" was recorded with such precision and dynamics, I would be one happy fool.

I saw them in Tampa in 2000 and instantly my eyes(ears) were open to what real music dynamics are all about.

Bill

Edited by willland

Willand , tell me about it. Do you have their first concert dvd? It is also a reference disc. Those guys are task masters!

I don't, just the two CD's and WAV files on my PC hard drive.

You mentioned a Yamaha RS700 stereo receiver.  Go grab this this Yamaha A-S1000 integrated amp if you live in the Philadelphia area.

http://delaware.craigslist.org/ele/5255689633.html

I have one driving my RB-75's in my living room and let me tell you it is one awesome beast.

Bill

Edited by willland

Willand, I live  in Melbourne  Florida now, also known as Melboring., for the past 22 years.

Sorry, I thought you meant transplant to Philly.

Cool, you live right down the street.

You should make your way over to Saint Cloud sometime.

Bill

Edited by willland

The denon is packed up and on its way to ups tomorrow for a return, I've spent alot of time fooling with it to no avail..

You know, I was thinking about that as well.

Yeah, you could have spent more time trying to tweak and fiddle with settings for more hours to get it to sound right, but why should you have to?

Good luck with your research and finding your next AVR.

thanks for all your help guys. The denon is packed up and on its way to ups tomorrow for a return, I've spent alot of time fooling with it to no avail.. I'm currently doing research. I'm looking at the pioneer elite sc series, yamaha aventage , and even a plain old fashioned yamaha rs700 stereo receiver. It's funny, the yamaha 2 channel receiver weighs more at 2X100 watts than their receiver that is 7X100 watts. I don't want to go the seperates route unless I have to. I also noticed that my 3801 was made in Japan, whereas the 3100 is made in china. Don't know if that makes a difference? But like I said, my cheap Sherwood sounds way better than the denon 3100, Denon is off my list. I can't say it enough, but THANK YOU All for your input. My friends with their sony/bose setups think I'm a lunatic; It's nice to know I have friends here in the asylum!

Your friends will change their mind when they hear your system1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have experience with either AVR.  This must be a new hot-off-the-presses AVR, right?  There are few reviews on it.

I did read the 3 reviews on Crutchfield, and it got panned with some specific complaints.  OTOH the 7 reviews on Amazon gave it perfect marks each time.  I don't trust reviews on Amazon, especially when it is obviously and brainlessly hyped (awesome!) but there were reviews on each site (one!) which seemed to be "real" reviews to me.

Sorry I couldn't help.

My brother-in-law had a Yamaha set up years ago and it sounded very nice on his SK's.  It was and early HT but no center channel.  Now he has moved up to a more sophisticated Yamaha, IIRC.

If I were buying something I'd seriously consider the R-S300 which is near the bottom of their line.  Still I think the variable loudness could come in handy.  From the specs it will drive down to 2 ohms which makes me think the series will handle even the low impedance Klipsch speakers.  (We here get complaints from people who say their amps have shut down and I think this is the reason.)

This might well be along the notion that with more and more channels and a processor some basic and essential qualities of the amp have to be compromised.   You alluded to this.

One feature I'd like to experiment with, or test, is HD F.M. radio. This is because I live and work in a high multipath urban environment.  And some stations have additional program on the HD.  Of course then you're talking money and perhaps you don't need it.

Best,

WMcD