what is this Jolida thing?

Matthews

Considering a go with some tubes.  Have never tried them before.  Not easily convinced that tubes are really that much better than SS?  

Came across this Jolida listing.  However, I have no idea what I am looking at...  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262108681459?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Help? 

If you want to take a small step first get yourself a good tube preamplifier or a tube buffer. Not really the same as a tube amplifier but you will have some idea of what the tube sound is about. I definitely prefer a tube preamp with SS amps with Klipsch speakers. I also have a tube amplifier that I do enjoy also. There is a difference in sound. Both sound equally good but different.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jolida-JD102CRC-tube-amplifier-DEMO-/262064554174?hash=item3d0443c0be:g:vqUAAOSwa39UrJO

Actually that Jolida is a nice integrated for the price.

The small step of using a tube buffer will be nice but not indicative of a tube amplifier though will tell you a little about the smoothing many tube amp lovers like.

A tube amp typically

- has a complex interaction with the speaker which will make matching a key to get the desired target response and drive.

- does not punch like a GOOD solid state (lower impedance drive nor have the dampening) unless you pay big bucks

- will usually be noisier than a solid state amp

Tubes will usually provide a more relaxed and musical representation, less analytical.

My 2 cents at least.

Edited to clarify I wasn't talking about the original amp reference.

Edited by pzannucci
  • Like 2

So I have been doing a small bit of investigating.  Ideally, it is a single ended, class A tube amp that I need to be looking at?  I am completely in the dark about tubes. 

I don't understand what all the different terminology really means (i.e. single ended, push-pull, triode, bias). 

Would like to find something with a decent power output (20+ wpc) while at the same time staying under $600.  Is this unrealistic? Seems there are some deals out there but very reluctant to pull the trigger (you know, in the dark thing). 

with power, you'll lose out on the triode mode for the range you're looking, there will be a slight difference in SQ but not to the point you'll regret doing tubes.

I'm still learning, and I have both a push pull and a class a set. The set will give you the triode mode with less power, but again, don't be scared of the volume you'll get with it. Unless you really want to drown out people in the room it will work fine, most likely better than fine. The push pull will give more power for loudness, but won't give you the 3D almost in the room with you sound stage that triodes do. But it is definitely a step above SS as you'll have more crisp and clear mids and highs and with the speakers get a nice thump with bass.

If you are up for trying out a SET Class A amp-look at this one as a starter .  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nobsound-EL34-Single-ended-Class-A-Stereo-Tube-Amplifier-Rectifier-HIFI-AMP-/281312152025?hash=item417f82c9d9:g:rzEAAOSwHjNV7q9w

It comes with a 1 year warranty and is identical to the one I bought. It sounds very good and powers the forte's fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAQIN-MC-10T-GD-10L-EL34-x4-Vacuum-Tube-Push-Pull-Integrated-Amplifier-110v-240v-/290708862955?hash=item43af9937eb:g:-CEAAOSwGWNUW4ia

This is a push pull with a lot more pop on power and has nice sound to it and is pretty cheap also. I have no issues with it and it has my 2 turntables,computer,and cd player all hooked up and ready to go.

Both can be used with multiple tubes.

• Like 1

Thanks Jim, those are both very affordable.  The 2nd one looks hot too.

Please bare with me?  Tube dummy here :unsure:

The first example appears I would be able to run my Rotel pre?  The 2nd has multiple inputs.  Would I still be able to run my existing pre and just running it in one of the available inputs?

If this is not the case and these are truly integrated amplifiers, neither will work for me.  I do require the use of remote volume control.

Another barrier to these is the shipping from China.  I will only deal in the U.S.  If something happens my dollars could potentially be tied up for months.

Matthews, why don't you hold off and come to our tube gathering in November in St. Louis. We will have about twenty people to bend your ear, about a third of them have extra tube amps to sell, and three or four will be featured at the house. Talk to the owners, listen to a variety of amps on Klipsch, Altec, and other speakers, and see what you like. It is a lot easier talking face to face than posting on the web, where you may or may not convince yourself the right path for your needs. Come hold thirty amps.

www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=70

tube amp small balls gathering Nov 7 and 8

here is one wall...post-9790-0-79140000-1445736169_thumb.jp

Edited by sheltie dave
  • Like 3

neither has a remote control, but they can be used with a phono pre.

I have my smaller one set up with a Cambridge Audio 551P when doing my turntable only, but if I use the audio switch, everything runs into the switch and then out to the amp.

On the other one, I just run my 2 Cambridge Audio 551P's into the amp, as well as the others. You could technically run them through an AVR from the RCA jacks on the back of it.post-59264-0-41460000-1445735176_thumb.j This is my set up for them. I have also tried running them through the AVR, and it works fine that way also, but I prefer to use them more stand alone and just manually adjust the volume. I did use them through the AVR when I hooked my turntable up to the phono outputs and had the cd player hooked in also for the other towers and it wasn't bad.

• Like 1

that's what I was saying above, I purchased in the dark, and wished I had an offer like this in my neck.

As for me bearing with you, I have no problem giving my feedback on what little I do know. That's what we are supposed to be here for.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the input and helping me to better understand this tube thing.

Thinking I have it in mind the direction I would want to pursue.  Lack of dollars to do this "right" is the prohibitive factor. 

With the very little knowledge I have, I want a pair of mono block, SET amps :D  

Unfortunately, my $600 budget must increase 10 fold :angry:

Thank you all for the input and helping me to better understand this tube thing.

Thinking I have it in mind the direction I would want to pursue.  Lack of dollars to do this "right" is the prohibitive factor. 

With the very little knowledge I have, I want a pair of mono block, SET amps :D  

Unfortunately, my $600 budget must increase 10 fold :angry:

Maynard has a mono block sets he's building, costs about $300.00 to build them. I'm waiting to see if he's going to sell them and make others after he is done. Maybe look up some of the posts in the tube section for info.

Check out the tube gathering listen to some things, and make a decision. I am going to an auction next week that has a bunch of tube stuff. Most will probably need rebuilding, but the stuff there is going to be phenomenal so I may get something and have it rebuilt.

Edited by Jim
  • Like 1

Well, you missed the Welborne DRD300Bs, the Shuguang LX10, the United Electric ST70, and a flock of seagulls on the other wall. I'll stick your name on the monoblocs. :-)

At $600, there probably will be 6 to 10 amps. If you don't have a preamp, there should be three to five integrated amps. You can bypass the pre IF you have a two mV output cd player with a variable loudness remote, but you have to be anal about turning the volume down.

We are an easy two hour cruise from BoCoMo.

Dave

image_zpsdg4ghkan.jpg

Edited by sheltie dave
  • Like 1