Hard Drive Advice

tigerwoodKhorns

I need to buy 2 1 TB hard drives for my computer

I have my OS on a SSD

My computer has 4 bays and an SAS raid controller so I can set up 2 mirror raids

on 1 mirror pair, I will have my documents and music files (which I stream all day). 

On the second mirror pair I will store backups. 

What HD's do you reccomend? 

I can also change this up and put my docuemtns on 1 mirror pair and music on a second mirror pair and back everythign up to a NAS that I have. 

What do you think? 

Thanks.  I have always used Seagate or WD.  I usually get the higher end models, but the WD Green have very good reviews.  I am using HDs from 2008 right now so they sure have lasted. 

If I stream music all day, should I have the music on a different HD than the HD that my work files ore stored on?  I will use different partitions, but I want to know, different HDs? 

I am thinking that maybe my best bet is to set up on pair of mirrored HD for my work files and one pair of mirrored HDs for my music.  Then use my server to store backups. 

I am thinking that maybe my best bet is to set up on pair of mirrored HD for my work files and one pair of mirrored HDs for my music. Then use my server to store backups.

Excellent thinking.  I use a program called "Mirrorfolder."  Incredibly versatile.  I have it set to mirror my files on local drives directly to my NAS.  So many options it's a bit daunting at first but by far the best and most reliable such program I've ever used.  Pretty cheap too, and I've been using it now for 5 years without failure.

Dave

I am thinking that maybe my best bet is to set up on pair of mirrored HD for my work files and one pair of mirrored HDs for my music. Then use my server to store backups.

Excellent thinking.  I use a program called "Mirrorfolder."  Incredibly versatile.  I have it set to mirror my files on local drives directly to my NAS.  So many options it's a bit daunting at first but by far the best and most reliable such program I've ever used.  Pretty cheap too, and I've been using it now for 5 years without failure.

Dave

So I am better off having the music on one pair of drives and my work files on another pair of drives?  I assume that reading music and iles from the same drive is not desirable.

Western Digital green. Good price, great reliability!

YMMV

I have the 1T WD Green.  I have had no problems with reliability.  The Green means when it is not in use it spins itself down to a lower RPM (maybe 5400, can't remember) to save electric, when in use it runs faster, maybe 7200, can't remember.

I think the other two choices at the time were Black (fast 7200 rpm) and maybe Blue.  I don't think Red was available at the time, so I don't know what it offers.

Edit:  I just looked it up, the internet is an amazing thing!  :D

The Red specifically engineered is for a NAS.  That looks like the way to go.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=810

Edited by wvu80

I'm a fan of the WD Red NAS drives. Currently have three 3TB drives configured RAID5 in my primary desktop PC.

I do PC support work for a living and the company I work for uses only WD drives. We put WAY too many Seagate drives in the trash to recommend them.