Question about RF-7 II : Distance from the wall

LeoeL

I read in many fora (forums...) the RF7 speakers need at least 1 meter distance from the wall.
At first I did it but the sound of drum rollings were very strange. It seemed skin drums were "flaccid".

So that now they are closer but still there are 50 cm.

Is there anybody who has some experience about that?

Another question is: Your RF-7 speakers fire straight to the listener or they are parallel to the walls (or... something in the middle)? 

• Moderators

There are digested settings and then there is what sounds best to your ears. The key is to try different distances from the wall until it sounds best to you. It doesn't matter if it's "right" if you do not like how it sounds. Parallel to the wall typically does not yield the best sound, especially for imaging. I typically start with the tweeters aimed slightly hehind the listening position and make minor adjustments from there. It takes time to get it just right but it's worth the effort.

• Moderators

Also, once you toe in your speakers, sit in your LP and listen to a song and slowly lean your body forward. Sometimes you will hear a huge difference within only a few inches. I actually just was listening to Adelle's "Hello" on the RF7ii and did the very thing I'm suggesting and ended up adjusting the angle of my RF7ii ever so slightly for an even wider soundstage.

The distance to the back wall will affect the quality and quantity of bass.  Also if the speakers are paired with a sub, they can be closer to the wall.  The distance to the side wall will affect imaging.  18 in. from the side wall is a good starting point.  Give the setup process days and make small changes along the way.

• Moderators

Read...... Read.... Read!! It is not a secret, you are supposed to toe in your speakers so that they converge slightly IN FRONT OF you! :)

This will create the largest sweet spot for listening.

Roger

This is the first time I have ever heard that.  I always heard to aim them slightly behind your LP.  I'll have to give it a try.

• Like 1

Digested.... to absorb the aggregate of cumulative knowledge recommended for proper placement & position. Otherwise it might sound like crap.  :D  Works for me.

Although, I am curious what hehind is. Actually... I'm not curious about that one.  :)

Depending on which device I'm using to navigate the forum... various keypads, touch pads, touch screens, spell check can all take on a life of their own. 

I have my 7ii's 14 inches from rear wall and about 12" to front side of tower from side walls. (Not at home right now to measure and give precise measurements -- but you get the idea)

I had my distances larger before I had subs (and then changed again with dual subs)

Each subwoofer I added I moved speakers closer to rear and side walls and like how it sounds.

As far as toe-in, I have my tweeters aimed at both of my shoulders as I am sitting in the main listening position. This seems to give me better sound stage as I slouch left and right, or scoot around to a different area on the couch.

When I toe them in so they converge in front of my position as some here do, I didn't care for the sound...

It's all trial and error & personal preference.

My rear 7ii's are 18" from rear wall & are aimed more towards the center of the room - convergence is about 3 feet in front of me & I like how that sounds for my rear surrounds.

Edited by MercedesBerater

If the speakers converge in front of you, the sweet spot will be very small.  With horn speakers, many of find that convergence behind the ear/shoulder leads to a more pleasant listening experience.

That's how mine are positioned. But I'm sure different rooms, spaces, reflections, wall angles-heights, furniture may have different demands. Easy to toe-in, or toe-out & test optimal placement specific to one's space.

• Like 1

I'm getting ready to purchase a set of 7's due to a great deal here locally(1500 for the pair),I am dealing with a small room and have been reading here about placement,I am dealing with a 12x16 room I question even if they would perform correctly in such a small area.

I'm going to grab them anyway because passing this deal up would cause me to kick my own arse for years to come. Is there such a thing as too small a room for these monsters? Ive read many threads on avr or seperates,placement,whether to run a sub with with,many different opinions.

Youthman, you do realize that you've put your son in a position where he'll never be able to own or listen to an average system? I guess that will also help motivate him to choose a path so he can earn a comfortable living and free up all the money it's going to take to replace his "bedroom system". What a DAD!

• Moderators
Youthman, you do realize that you've put your son in a position where he'll never be able to own or listen to an average system?

That's exactly what I've done.  He had a nice 2ch system since he was 12yrs old.  Started out with B&W DM602 S3 (not enough bass), moved up to the Klipsch CF-2 (still not enough bass) then to RF-7's & RC-64ii when he was 13yrs old.  He's only known quality systems but he has taken excellent care of it.  His bed is made every morning and everything in his room has a place (and he knows if you move something even the slightest bit).

I guess that will also help motivate him to choose a path so he can earn a comfortable living and free up all the money it's going to take to replace his "bedroom system". What a DAD!

A good job will help but I've taught him that Craigslist is his friend.  Staying out of debt, putting some money aside, continually looking on CL and being patient will allow anyone to own a very nice setup.  I paid $400 for his RF-7's (in near mint condition) and only $181.00 for the RC-64ii.  The system will be his when he moves out.  He can use what I've taught him to find a sweet deal on a sub (or I could sell him my RSW-15's and get IB or Horn subs) and surrounds.

Edited by Youthman

Only problem I've had with the original question is with strong bass when they were near the wall, crossed over low, and toe'ed in. What happened is that the bass out of the ports like bounced off the front wall, up against the side wall, then to the listening position, so it was like bass was coming out of the window. Just really weird. Adjusting the positioning and the crossover got rid of it.

Only problem I've had with the original question is with strong bass when they were near the wall, crossed over low, and toe'ed in. What happened is that the bass out of the ports like bounced off the front wall, up against the side wall, then to the listening position, so it was like bass was coming out of the window. Just really weird. Adjusting the positioning and the crossover got rid of it.

I hear you my friend.

My RF-63's are about 13 inches from front wall, 30 inches from side walls(RT-10d's in front corners), toed in about 18 degrees, and crossovers set at 60Hz.  This is their final resting place after several changes in the last few years.  

Needless to say, I am very pleased with the results.

Bill