Minimum wage. Should it be $15?

mustang guy

I do not spend my time studying buisiness, social and political philosophy or feel a need set others straight through stubourn debate and posturing. I focus on my job, my family, paying attention and voting my conscience and good tunes.

Well, there's your problem, right there!   :lol:  

Sad, innit?

well i aint givin up the tunes thats for sure!

Yeah. I go back to a dime for a Snickers bar, plus a penny tax.

My spending money through elementary school was a dime per day.  That bought a coke and a snickers, no tax at that time. 

Other than that there really wasn't anything for a kid to spend money for.  A 10 cent comic book, there were simply toys at that price.  But really not much else. 

Not too much difference for adults. 

Dave

No way anyone much younger can really see what 10 bucks was worth in 1965 by an inflation calculator.

$10 in 1965 would buy a tank full of gas ($5) plus about 4 to 6 quality paperback books.  $10 would buy 3 stereo record albums (although $4.98 list price -- every store discounted them to about $3.25), or 5 wonderful Nonesuch record albums.  Movie tickets were $1.49 in the best downtown first run theaters, except for 70mm, which went for up to $2.20.  Neighborhood theaters charged about $1.00.  All this was in California, the high priced spread.

Paperback books "back in the day" are a great example...magazines, too.  I didn't balk at 25 cents for a scifi novel or 50 cents for an audio magazine even with only 5 dollars to my name.  Today, at FAR more disposable income I balk at either of these.  Don't even know what paperbacks cost now as I quit buying them when they got past my comfort zone years ago, and 5 bucks or more for a magazine is nutzoid.  The few I get are subscriptions that are maybe 10 bucks a year. 

Dave

• Like 1

Paperback books "back in the day" are a great example...magazines, too.  I didn't balk at 25 cents for a scifi novel or 50 cents for an audio magazine even with only 5 dollars to my name.  Today, at FAR more disposable income I balk at either of these.  Don't even know what paperbacks cost now as I quit buying them when they got past my comfort zone years ago, and 5 bucks or more for a magazine is nutzoid.  The few I get are subscriptions that are maybe 10 bucks a year. 

Dave

It just goes to show what the internet has done to prior business models.

What I am not u derstanding is what would the code of ethics say for capitalists?

I rolled back through the piles of chaff to find this, the last interesting question here. The Capitalists it could be argued have a greater impact on your life than doctors. Not in the acute or emergent sense, but in the overall sense of the quality of your life from birth to death. They are the biggest economic actors, and they really define your economic world for you. Bankers, food suppliers, housing suppliers, medicine and entertainment are all supplied under your consent to let capitalists dictate the terms. They've told the public "no" to GMO labeling. They've told the public it will cost $100,000 for the cure to Hep-C. They've told the public there's no addiction to cigarettes, and no harm is being done to boxers and footballers from concussions through the years. They set the terms for all public debate. When the ACA was being debated initially, they told the WH and Congress and the public that "single payor" was "off the table." The answer to no one. Not the public, not the President, not the Generals, not the DOJ. No one. If you came down here from Mars, examined the situation, you would conclude they are "Dictators of the World" - Gods.  And, that would be utterly obvious. 

The mythical gods all promoted an orthodoxy based on a defined morality. People who regularly follow the mythical gods eagerly, enthusiastically, and with all their heart and soul, embrace whatever morality their mythical gods demand of them. That's well understood. They do it, to please the gods, and because they want all their social relations with the rest of humanity to be conducted with an eye to this particular morality. Often, it could be as simple as a "list of some number of commandments." They follow the commandments and expect others they interact with, to do so too. It becomes a "worldview". And is stated simply like this: If everyone follows this orthodoxy and moral code, the world will be in harmony. 

The mythical gods however, don't supply CableTV, or Cancer drugs or canned peas. For that, we must turn to what the Martians properly identified as Earth's real gods, the Capitalists. These dictators and petty gods declare they have no moral code, and everyone may simply do what they think they "ought" to do, as long as the law is followed. They declare there is no right and no wrong behavior, merely legal and illegal behavior. Charging 1200% interest is not something anyone "ought" to do, but it is legal to do, and that's the end of that. Adding 1200mg of sodium to a simple can of soup is not something a good chef "ought" to do, but since it is legal to do, and it sure helps sales, it is something they will do. Great fortunes can be made making people sick on the front end, and then greater fortunes yet can be made treating that sickness on the back end. Sound familiar?

And so they people invoke their moral code from mythical gods, but it doesn't actually apply anywhere but in the special assemblies of their kind, maybe once a week. All the rest of the time, they agree to submit to the no moral code Gods that actually run their lives. They would not dare ask these petty dictator Gods for a moral code, even one which might protect them, because they were told DON'T ASK by the petty dictator Gods, who naturally want to be free to do as they please. People, being the obedient souls they are, always do as they are told, by whichever of the gods has their attention. And so, they happily dig into the unhealthy profitable food, booze and tobacco, so that at a later time they can turn over their life savings for the privilege of living 6 months longer with their cancer. Never once does it occur to ask, "what ought we be doing instead?"

Great fortunes can be made making people sick on the front end, and then greater fortunes yet can be made treating that sickness on the back end. Sound familiar?

Sounds like a singing endorsement for telling people what they can and can't eat, smoke, drink and screw.  From which gods will you derive these new standards?

Edited by Jeff Matthews

Great fortunes can be made making people sick on the front end, and then greater fortunes yet can be made treating that sickness on the back end. Sound familiar?

Sounds like a singing endorsement for telling people what they can and can't eat, smoke, drink and screw.  From which gods will you derive these new standards?

Really? That's how you read it? I'd like to improve me writing skill. Can you point to where I said anything about telling people what to eat, drink, smoke and screw?

Really? That's how you read it? I'd like to improve me writing skill. Can you point to where I said anything about telling people what to eat, drink, smoke and screw?

Your critique of capitalism was that capitalists were free to sell foods, alcohol, drugs, etc. to make money from making people sick, and then, when people are sick, to make money treating them.  If you don't tell people what they can eat, drink, smoke, etc., how else are you going to force them to have healthier lifestyles?

• Moderators

What I am not u derstanding is what would the code of ethics say for capitalists?

I rolled back through the piles of chaff to find this, the last interesting question here. The Capitalists it could be argued have a greater impact on your life than doctors. Not in the acute or emergent sense, but in the overall sense of the quality of your life from birth to death. They are the biggest economic actors, and they really define your economic world for you. Bankers, food suppliers, housing suppliers, medicine and entertainment are all supplied under your consent to let capitalists dictate the terms. They've told the public "no" to GMO labeling. They've told the public it will cost $100,000 for the cure to Hep-C. They've told the public there's no addiction to cigarettes, and no harm is being done to boxers and footballers from concussions through the years. They set the terms for all public debate. When the ACA was being debated initially, they told the WH and Congress and the public that "single payor" was "off the table." The answer to no one. Not the public, not the President, not the Generals, not the DOJ. No one. If you came down here from Mars, examined the situation, you would conclude they are "Dictators of the World" - Gods. And, that would be utterly obvious.

The mythical gods all promoted an orthodoxy based on a defined morality. People who regularly follow the mythical gods eagerly, enthusiastically, and with all their heart and soul, embrace whatever morality their mythical gods demand of them. That's well understood. They do it, to please the gods, and because they want all their social relations with the rest of humanity to be conducted with an eye to this particular morality. Often, it could be as simple as a "list of some number of commandments." They follow the commandments and expect others they interact with, to do so too. It becomes a "worldview". And is stated simply like this: If everyone follows this orthodoxy and moral code, the world will be in harmony.

The mythical gods however, don't supply CableTV, or Cancer drugs or canned peas. For that, we must turn to what the Martians properly identified as Earth's real gods, the Capitalists. These dictators and petty gods declare they have no moral code, and everyone may simply do what they think they "ought" to do, as long as the law is followed. They declare there is no right and no wrong behavior, merely legal and illegal behavior. Charging 1200% interest is not something anyone "ought" to do, but it is legal to do, and that's the end of that. Adding 1200mg of sodium to a simple can of soup is not something a good chef "ought" to do, but since it is legal to do, and it sure helps sales, it is something they will do. Great fortunes can be made making people sick on the front end, and then greater fortunes yet can be made treating that sickness on the back end. Sound familiar?

And so they people invoke their moral code from mythical gods, but it doesn't actually apply anywhere but in the special assemblies of their kind, maybe once a week. All the rest of the time, they agree to submit to the no moral code Gods that actually run their lives. They would not dare ask these petty dictator Gods for a moral code, even one which might protect them, because they were told DON'T ASK by the petty dictator Gods, who naturally want to be free to do as they please. People, being the obedient souls they are, always do as they are told, by whichever of the gods has their attention. And so, they happily dig into the unhealthy profitable food, booze and tobacco, so that at a later time they can turn over their life savings for the privilege of living 6 months longer with their cancer. Never once does it occur to ask, "what ought we be doing instead?"

Everything you have said is a complaint against the political process, not really the economic SYSTEM.

I think what your real beef should be is over campaign finance and lobbying.

But I still don't see an oath or code, even just one example, for capitalists.