TSA undercover

Matthews

I put my faith in Matt last year and he built me a 6 watt SET amp. Than one is named Emotive 5i. It is the best sounding amp I have ever owned. I am really amazed at the volume's it can reach and play with such authority from a mere 6 watts. Build quality is way above and beyond any piece of gear I have owned as well.

What output tubes did Matt use in your amp?  Just curious.......

Maynard

Maynard, they are EL84, or SV83's can be used as well.

That's what I suspected from the pics you posted.  You may want to check with TS Matt about the mode of operation.  Those tubes can deliver around 6 watts when run as pentodes, but far less when triode strapped.  Either way, they are nice sounding tubes!

Maynard

Maynard, they are EL84, or SV83's can be used as well.

That's what I suspected from the pics you posted.  You may want to check with TS Matt about the mode of operation.  Those tubes can deliver around 6 watts when run as pentodes, but far less when triode strapped.  Either way, they are nice sounding tubes!

Maynard

The EL84's are biased slightly over 5 watts, the SV83's run a hair hotter, but still less than 150v on G2. Most definitely "Pentode", NO strapping here. :)   

TS Matt. :)

Thanks for posting the clarification Matt!  In fact, a couple of days ago I discussed with a forum member a possible custom parallel SEP build, with around 10 wpc output, using electrically similar tubes and a huge Hammond opt.  Now if I could just "borrow" some of your artistic talent I'd be in good shape.......

Maynard

Thanks for posting the clarification Matt!  In fact, a couple of days ago I discussed with a forum member a possible custom parallel SEP build, with around 10 wpc output, using electrically similar tubes and a huge Hammond opt.  Now if I could just "borrow" some of your artistic talent I'd be in good shape.......

Maynard

Thank you for the kind words Maynard! I may have "just what the doctor ordered", I had recently been turned on to a tube type by an existing customer and forum member that just may be the perfect tube for your 10 watt parallel SEP project. Take a look at a data sheet for E80L/6227. It has absolutely fantastic curves. :)

Matt.

Thank you for the kind words Maynard! I may have "just what the doctor ordered", I had recently been turned on to a tube type by an existing customer and forum member that just may be the perfect tube for your 10 watt parallel SEP project. Take a look at a data sheet for E80L/6227. It has absolutely fantastic curves. :)

Matt.

Yes, the 6227 is a nice tube especially given its low current draw.  Unfortunately, its price is absurd!  And, needing to run 4 in parallel to get around 10 watts out simply isn't practical due to the probable parasitic oscillation issues, as well as needing almost 3A for filament current per channel.  Besides, using tubes costing more than $5 makes my palms sweat!!!

Maynard

Matt.

Yes, the 6227 is a nice tube especially given its low current draw.  Unfortunately, its price is absurd!  And, needing to run 4 in parallel to get around 10 watts out simply isn't practical due to the probable parasitic oscillation issues, as well as needing almost 3A for filament current per channel.  Besides, using tubes costing more than $5 makes my palms sweat!!!

Maynard

Ahh....I'm certain you are right regarding the oscillation issues. My thoughts on this tube was to use it as the little gem that it is. 2.5 watt S.E. "Bedroom" or possibly "Headphone" amp. Maybe with a cute little power supply using the super cool little 84 rectifier. Whoa......I'll design it right now, I think I'll use 6AU6 drivers in the spirit of "tiny", and it'll still be a "Pentode-Driven-Pentode" amp. :)

Matt.

post-61896-0-35060000-1453478960_thumb.j

just may be the perfect tube for your 10 watt parallel SEP project. Take a look at a data sheet for E80L/6227

My thoughts on this tube was to use it as the little gem that it is. 2.5 watt S.E. "Bedroom" or possibly "Headphone" amp.

You people would rather protect someone that is blatantly lying to customers and forum members.   

And TSMatt never answered the question about the rectifier filament because he doesn't want to admit his error or show he has no idea what the heck he is doing.

Great Job Moderators!!

I'm pretty sure everyone is sick of your negativity. In any case, no one is lying to anyone. My use of the E80L is more in line with the type of thing I do. On the other hand I'm sure Maynard is competent enough to design an amp with the E80L similar to the attached schematic. Be well JPM.

attachicon.gifParalleledEL34Schematic.jpg

just may be the perfect tube for your 10 watt parallel SEP project. Take a look at a data sheet for E80L/6227

My thoughts on this tube was to use it as the little gem that it is. 2.5 watt S.E. "Bedroom" or possibly "Headphone" amp.

You people would rather protect someone that is blatantly lying to customers and forum members.   

And TSMatt never answered the question about the rectifier filament because he doesn't want to admit his error or show he has no idea what the heck he is doing.

Great Job Moderators!!

I'm pretty sure everyone is sick of your negativity. In any case, no one is lying to anyone. My use of the E80L is more in line with the type of thing I do. On the other hand I'm sure Maynard is competent enough to design an amp with the E80L similar to the attached schematic. Be well JPM.

Where is this quote from?  I can't find it.