New Here

Deronb1

Hey, I think you guys are being a little rough on Deron!  
i dont know that i would say rough

He has just acquired what arguably may be the best Klipsch bookshelf speakers on the planet and you guys are trying to bust his budget by having him go larger!  I've never heard the RB-75's but I remember a recent discussion here were the RB-75's were compared favorably to the RF-7's.  
did i miss where he said he bought these? thought he said may have a line on some rb-5's?

I admit being a member of the "bigger is better" fan club, but shouldn't the guy at least plug in the new speakers, be allowed to go "wow these things friggin' rock!" before you try to get him to upsize his happy meal? 
i agree with this. let the guy settle in a bit before  you push the pro line on him.  

Scrappy,

Don't think I will lead him all the way to the promised land yet, but sounds like he is no more than 1.5 hours away.

I'm thinking about having him come up here with his best pair of book shelves and letting him do an A/B comparison on a pair of Klipschorns on a 24 foot wall and A/B with a pair of LaScalas so he gets some real experience with fully loaded horn sound and learns about the affects of efficiency, then ask him again about clarity, clear mids, sparkling highs and imaging :emotion-14:  :emotion-14:  :emotion-14:

Roger

• Like 4

Lol. A bit of a haul i think. Something tells me you are not going to let this go, i fear. :)

So you are saying that you would not drive 1.5 hours to hear a $3,000 set of used speakers that are $12,000 new now, just to see if there is something you haven't experienced yet?

By the way, they are not for sale, but that is what they would fetch on eBay in their condition :)

Roger

Thanks, but that wasnt me who bought the 75s. Probably someone here... ;)

Oops, my bad.  You are LOOKING at RB-75's.  I though you had bought them already.  :blush:

Good choice though, the RB-75's.  That's a "can't miss" speaker.  :)

+++

I would suggest you be open to the suggestions to others here, as many of these guys have tried and owned every speaker you are probably thinking about getting.  It's great to have access to that experience.

• Like 1

Yes, been down the rabbit hole a bit. Been on the Polk forum for five years now. Learned a lot, modded a few speakers. Good group over there too.

Polks are very inefficient and they have never built anything close to Klipschgorns. Do some google for the 10 or 20 best speakers of all time and you will not find a Polk, but you will find Klipschorns and greater efficiency also has the added benefit of less distortion. I am not beating my chest hear, I am more than willing to show you the dark side :)

Roger

• Like 1

I've had RTi's in my configuration and owned TSi's along with the two subs (the last of which I finally got rid of). There's not comparison between the two brands. However, I think Polk handles the low-end of the money spectrum better than Klipsch does - but that's another story.

The RB-5's and 75's will give you the output of a floorstander, for sure. Nothing will beat the low end when it comes to floorstanding though.

Edited by IbizaFlame

Just joined the forum. Been on Polk forum for the last 5 years. Looking to try some vintage Klipsch speakers as i keep hearing great things about the RB 5 and 75s.

Welcome to the promised land!

I own both of those bookshelves and you won't be disappointed with either selection. As mentioned tho the Heritage and Pro lines are great choices too so just ease into whatever your budget and space will allow.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Certainly did not mean to offend.

You didn't offend anybody, certainly not me.  I always post with a smile on my face.  B)

+++

I appreciate what you are saying about no experience with horns.  I have had my first set in the last two years.  I now have a nice set of large horn based speakers with dual 12" woofers, but when I heard a setup with three La Scala's for L/C/R, the difference in the sound stage is so completely different I had to re-imagine what sound reproduction is supposed to sound like.

If you can go audition a good setup with Klipsch speakers I encourage you to do so.  I'm not sure we have the words here to convey what that sounds like, you have to experience it to believe it.  It's stunning.

Edited by wvu80

Certainly did not mean to offend. Its just been my experience between the two traditional floor standers and bookshelfs. That said, i have zero experience with horns, so i have no reference point.

Make the drive and we will pop your cherry BIG TIME!

No offense taken!

If you want to find out what horns sound like, bring your best speakers and we will hook them up to the same system and let you descide on the difference!

I am talking fully horn loaded, horn tweeter, horn mid and horn woofer!

As stated previously, there are many on here that do not live close enough. I have driven to texas and Boston, and Maine, and Pitsburg, and to Minesota to buy speakers before, 1.5 hours to listen is nothing, because there aren't any dealers around anymore that carry speakers like this like when I was in Highschool :)

Roger

• Like 2

To build onto what Roger said:

That's one of the nice things about this forum. People here are generally open to help each other out and welcome them with an open door to listen to their setup. They kick around thoughts, and ideas that might help others achieve that same "melodic bliss."

Of course, that can also be a bad thing, since when I joined I had just one Klipsch configuration, and now have 5...hmmm....

• Like 2

I cant spend that coinage on speakers right now. I am sure they are dynamite and obviously a bookshelf speaker wont have the output, but that is really not the droids i am looking for ;)

Just trying to broaden your scope, so you will have a better idea what Klipsch Heritage Heresys will sound like wich you can buy for $600 used in great shape or La Scalas wich can be had on eBay for around $1,500 new. At the price range you are looking at, the Herisys aren't a huge amount larger and will crush the bookshelves in the mids and tweeters.

The Heresys have been built in the original series, the 1.5 series, the series 2, and the present series 3 configuration. The original series one Hereseys use the exact same tweeter and exact same midrange driver ( except it has a smaller horn on it ) as the great big Klipschorns I would have you listen too...

Roger

Deronb1,

Welcome to the forum.

I prefer how booksheles image. Have had best results on my gear with monitors, good stands paired with two musical subs.

I could not agree more with this.  My RB-75's paired with an RSW-10d sounds as "big" as my RF-63's and image as well.

But, something sure can be said for a pair of Klipschorns or LaScalas with a nice tube amp.

Bill

• Like 1