New Here

Deronb1

What is your excuse for not doing this yet again????

Well, Ohio's a bit of a drive...

And as for Hope, last year during the gathering I was in St. Louis giving a presentation. This year I'll be prepping for finals the week of the gathering...so...yeah...are those valid?

Now, if you want to bring the horns here...well...I will make room. :D

Addictive, i know. I appreciate the offer, but im in no way ready to purchase LaScallas, Klipschorns and the like. Even if i fell in love couldnt pull the trigger. Kind of like listening to Magicos at the local high end shop and going, wow, awesome, but ill never own em.

• Like 1

And as for Hope, last year during the gathering I was in St. Louis giving a presentation. This year I'll be prepping for finals the week of the gathering...so...yeah...are those valid?

You know the date got changed to May, is this still a schedule problem for you?

Roger

Drive to Roger's for a little knowledge....

Things they will not teach you at your college.... :emotion-29: la la la la :emotion-29:

• Like 3

Addictive, i know. I appreciate the offer, but im in no way ready to purchase LaScallas, Klipschorns and the like. Even if i fell in love couldnt pull the trigger. Kind of like listening to Magicos at the local high end shop and going, wow, awesome, but ill never own em.

First, that is not the attitude to take, do you think I started out with the big stuff?

Secondly, I am trying to get you to listen to the clarity, image and response shared by a speaker that you most certainly can afford plus give you insight to what horns are really all about. You should experience fully horn loaded so you understand fully why?

If you wont make the trip, I can't force you, but you will never know if you like King Crab if you never at least try it :)

Rog

Hey Deronb1

Welcome to the forum.....

First of....Klipsch....get some!! Notice I said "some" meaning more than one pair.... I thought I had issues till I got to this crazy place. Lol lol

But for real you gotta hear some horns you will not look back... Now I got a pair of the Polk SDA 2.3's and they have some good sound and yes they image very good with some music if I didn't like em I would off them...

But when I want to "feel" the music Klipsch is the chitt....I love the look on people's faces when they hear my 35 year old LaScala's or my 25 year old Chorus there jaws dropp....

Again welcome......get some Klipsch...

Yea Rog...I like King Crab

MKP :-)

• Like 2

Looking to try some vintage Klipsch speakers as i keep hearing great things about the RB 5 and 75s.

For what it's worth, here are the RB-5 and RB-75 side by side. Willland has a very nice pair of the Cherry versions with DIY stands he made for his.

PICT0024_zpsq7xvqeg8.jpg

Certainly did not mean to offend. Its just been my experience between the two traditional floor standers and bookshelfs. That said, i have zero experience with horns, so i have no reference point.

If you have the time and can make the drive, I would suggest you take up the offer to listen to fullly-loaded horn speakers.  The traits you are looking for are there to a much greater degree than to what you are likely used to.  Yes, horn speakers can play extremely loud -- but that is not the reason (most) people bring them into their homes.  As an example, you will find there are some people that power these speakers with 3-watt amplifiers (that is not a typo).

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum!

What are your room dimensions?  Be sure to include height.

Even though you can't afford them, you owe it to yourself to hear widely spaced Klipschorns sealed into corners and also Klipsch Jubilees, with good recordings.  Even I haven't heard Jubilees, but the vast majority of those who have heard this redesign of the Klipschorn prefer it.  In case you don't know, the Jubilee was Paul Klipsch's last project, co-designed with Roy Delgado, then later refined by Roy.  There may be someone near you who has them they would probably let you listen.  They are available only directly from the factory, through Roy.

A good, fully horn loaded speaker (horn woofer, as well as the usual horn mid and tweeter) has bass attack with much lower frequency modulation distortion than anything else.  Good horn speakers sound great with good recordings in suitable rooms.  They can sometimes be brutally revealing of the shortcomings of bad recordings.  I like them with Audyssey room EQ, and about 3 to 6 dB bass boost (which stays clean & tight), but others prefer them "pure." 

Although both Klipschorns and Jubilees are capable of good imaging in suitable rooms, it is what some people call "tonality" that is so good with them.  Acoustical musicians can recognize their instruments, sounding "live," and effortless. 

See Chris A's remastering and dynamic range threads in this forum.  He is a Jubilee owner, and has a great deal of knowledge.   

Edited by garyrc
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forum!

What are your room dimensions?  Be sure to include height.

Even though you can't afford them, you owe it to yourself to hear widely spaced Klipschorns sealed into corners and also Klipsch Jubilees, with good recordings.  Even I haven't heard Jubilees, but the vast majority of those who have heard this redesign of the Klipschorn prefer it.  In case you don't know, the Jubilee was Paul Klipsch's last project, co-designed with Roy Delgado, then later refined by Roy.  There may be someone near you who has them they would probably let you listen.  They are available only directly from the factory, through Roy.

A good, fully horn loaded speaker (horn woofer, as well as the usual horn mid and tweeter) has bass attack with much lower frequency modulation distortion than anything else.  Good horn speakers sound great with good recordings in suitable rooms.  They can sometimes be brutally revealing of the shortcomings of bad recordings.  I like them with Audyssey room EQ, and about 3 to 6 dB bass boost (which stays clean & tight), but others prefer them "pure." 

Although both Klipschorns and Jubilees are capable of good imaging in suitable rooms, it is what some people call "tonality" that is so good with them.  Acoustical musicians can recognize their instruments, sounding "live," and effortless. 

See Chris A's remastering and dynamic range threads in this forum.  He is a Jubilee owner, and has a great deal of knowledge.   

Richard would know better than I, but as far as I know with him living in Southern Ohio, Richards own pair in Tenn., is probably as close as any Jubilees that I am aware of!

Roger

I cant spend that coinage on speakers right now. I am sure they are dynamite and obviously a bookshelf speaker wont have the output, but that is really not the droids i am looking for ;)

Just trying to broaden your scope, so you will have a better idea what Klipsch Heritage Heresys will sound like wich you can buy for $600 used in great shape or La Scalas wich can be had on eBay for around $1,500 new. At the price range you are looking at, the Herisys aren't a huge amount larger and will crush the bookshelves in the mids and tweeters.

The Heresys have been built in the original series, the 1.5 series, the series 2, and the present series 3 configuration. The original series one Hereseys use the exact same tweeter and exact same midrange driver ( except it has a smaller horn on it ) as the great big Klipschorns I would have you listen too...

Roger

Welcome.

You owe, yourself, a listen, & with that invite on the table, how could you possibly refuse?

Tunes with speaker history & knowledge for free only 1-1/2 hours away - I'd plan a day and enjoy.

+1 on the Heresy recommendation for the reasons stated above.

Edited by Arrow#422
  • Like 2

A couple thoughts:

1.  Hi Deronb, welcome to the forum!

2.  What is up with this, let's all go to Rogers place and get crabs??  :unsure:

3.  Deron, Roger the Doger is giving a nice invite to hear some really cool things.  I live in Knoxville, TN and have had guys drive to my place as far as:  Lexington (Ky), Long Island (NY), Carrolton (Ga), Athens (Ga), Maryland, Charlotte (NC), and Florida.  

Though I don't think Roger is trying to push anything on you (other than some knowledge), what I think he's trying to do is take your eyes from 10% open.....up to 90% so you can see a more broad menu of what is really out there and available.  I doubt he (nor anyone) is expecting you to pull your wallet out and head to Ebay right away.  

Look at it this way....you go to a car dealer and you're looking to experience a car with a 2-barrel carb.  You've only had a single barrel jalopy over the years and hear 2-bbl is the cats meow.  You would hopefully appreciate the honest dealer who says 'yeah, we got you covered with 2bbl autos however, you should also know of and experience a tri-pack, 4-bbl, double pumpers and fuel injection so you might in the future, have a better base of understanding to make decisions.  You may find the 2-bbl to be your cats meow, then again, you may find benefits in some of the other configurations.

You really haven't done horns until you do a bass horn.

It's not all about volume either.  My big speakers will play just as quiet as my smallest!!  however, when the urge hits, my smallest will never play as nice as my biggest.

Roger's a well meaning, nice guy.  I know.  I've had the misfortune of meeting him a couple times  :o  (Sorry Rog, I couldn't resist the cheap shot) I luv ya bro  :wub:

Seriously, you'll find most here (as likely on your Polk forum) are pretty decent guys, willing to open their homes & share.  

I know I'd take Roger up on his offer.....but for the comment of getting crabs......  :ph34r:

• Like 3

I do appreciate the offer and om not completely against it. As far as cars go, i broke down and bought a Challenger RT Classic...lol.

Im gonna catch it for this remark, but it could be quite possible that i will not care for the horn. Wont know till i try right? Baby steps :)

• Like 1