Speakers for tube amps

baronkyle

Hi,

I have an Eico HF-81 that is currently being restored. Once home, I'll connect it to my Klipsch KG4. I listen in a medium sized square room at medium/moderate volume levels. I know pretty much anything from the Heritage line works well.

What are some other speaker options? Does anything by Altec, JBL, Others(?) play nicely with lower wattage, vintage tube gear?

My brother in law has Alec Studio Monitor Model 19s, but his Klipschorns are much preferred :)

I have heard V.O.T.s that sounded outstanding with tubes :)

Roger

Roger

• Like 1

Kelly Holsten (mobile homeless) had quite the admiration for the Eico HF-81.

http://home.earthlink.net/~eico_hf81/

The measurements of this amp look more like those of something single ended than push-pull.  And, that's probably why people find its sound so appealing!  The 10 kHz square wave, for example, looks very much like what we see with some single ended amps using modest output xfmrs.  I haven't thought about this amp in a very long time!  Personally, I don't see any reason to use speakers with it other than Klipsch.  The synergy should be quite good, and considering that 1 wpc can blow you out of the room, there certainly won't be any headroom concerns.

Maynard

http://www.stereophile.com/content/eico-hf-81-integrated-amplifier-measurements#biv33qHzFYlRPMWI.97

I would try some Altec 604 8g's. If you look up Jean Hiraga speakers at the Munich High end show, many thought his room sounded the best and he uses very low powered tube amps. There are tons of DIY design info for these speakers and they can be used in many different size boxes. I guy I know who has built a lot studios in CA, knows a bunch of execs that have built rooms around this type of speaker, and he says he has never heard better. Sadly the rooms alone cost over 70k.

Chorus 1 uses a mid horn which is the same horn used in the Heresy models.
  Not according to the documentation. The Heresy mid horn is an 80x30 exponential, Chorus a 90x40. Of course, the website could be wrong.

Bruce

Altec A-7's are good but there are better choices among the Klipsch lineup in my honest opinion.

Might be worthwhile looking into them using a low power setup but you pump some power into those Altecs and the bass bin runs out of steam rather quickly and bottoms out.

If space is tight you may want to look into Forte, Forte II, or Quartet.

• Like 2