Older Crown

The Dude

They are 40lbs of rock solid amp. Essentially a brick of condensed lightning.

Not only that, the sound quality of this amp for two-channel (mains) is very, very good. Definitely NOT an entry-level pro-amp. In fact, I think this was used as a studio amp?

I remember a red one for sale awhile ago in the garage sale section

It's in Beaumont now ;)

Cool, it seems that you have a good eye for gear with the Njoe Tjoeb, the Crown D-45 with the Juicy Music mods and a Crown K2. :emotion-21:B)  

When I was looking for a K2 for a future subwoofer project (thanks in part to your great build threads) I ended up finding a 'can't pass it up' deal on a QSC PLX3402.  I'm not sure if anyone has experience with both and if the QSC is a decent choice. 

Did the K2 fall out of favor or are they still a bargain on the used market?

Mine is still in favor with me.  Use them just about every day.  Had a hard time figuring out where to place it, wife did not want a shelf above the speaker to set it on....so I mounted a 2x6 to one side of it and stood it upright on it's side and set it behind the K402.  Working like a charm.  If they fall out of favor (cheaper) I'll buy another one or three.  Pardon the dust.

Edit:  I also lashed the top of the amp to the bracket on the 402 to minimize chances of it falling over

DSCN6934 - Copy.JPG

Nice, your set up sure gives new meaning to the term "powered loudspeaker.'   B)

• Like 1

It seems that the Crown K2 amplifiers were popular at one point and available in a variety of colors. I remember a red one for sale awhile ago in the garage sale section a year or so ago. Did the K2 fall out of favor or are they still a bargain on the used market?

_ Crown K2 amps.jpg

I think this is another i see used quite a bit. Its a little pricey.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Yes, more so that the lower watt Crowns, but it is a beast at the following wattage.  1,250 into 2 ohms. :emotion-21:

500 watts 8 ohms

800 watts 4 ohms

1,250 watts 2 ohms

These are still great, quiet, powerful amps. One design feature is that they don't draw air through for cooling, so they are great for outdoor stages. The old Biergarten where I worked is up to 5 of them now, I know a PA company that uses 8 with some other amps to power a EAW 730 line array rig.  Make certain to mount them in a SEALED enclosure where you're drawing lots of air through the slots between the housings to keep them cool if you're running them hard. I've seen guys make mistake of just putting them in open racks and that's not enough air. 

Thanks, for the immediate future my stuff is indoors; however, depending upon the situation of my next house, I may start to think like Richard in terms of something really large for outside. 

Did the K2 fall out of favor or are they still a bargain on the used market?
Depends upon the purpose. They are a straight-up power amp, so when compared to the latest crop of SOA feature-intensive gear (on board DSP, network capability, ultra high efficiency), the decision quickly falls into a gray area. OTOH, with the K2 you clearly get what you pay for in terms of hardware. They are 40lbs of rock solid amp. Essentially a brick of condensed lightning.

Two things to consider regarding well-implemented legacy amps:

1. Good sound never goes out of style

2. A clean, easily serviceable design (inside &out) will stand the test of time

I still have have two in service, and they can warp space/time on demand. Same as the additional pair of Crowns I've got, I simply cannot find any reason to part with them. :emotion-22:

Thanks, great endorsement.  As I mentioned in response to Carl, when I was looking for a K2 for a future subwoofer project I ended up finding a "can't pass it up" deal on a QSC PLX3402.   

I keep meaning to get back to the Pioneer SC-85 threads and see if you or anyone of the other Pioneer guys has any opinions about the additional features of MCACC Pro vs Advanced MCACC.  It sure looks like a Pioneer SC-95 with MCACC Pro would go a long way in mitigating a lot of problems in a heritage speaker / horn surround system.

I ended up finding a "can't pass it up" deal on a QSC PLX3402.

The PLX2 series are incredible amps.  They're very good on your mains as well.  I run them in my living room HT and they don't take a back seat to any amp in SQ.

I believe the guy I bought my 3402 PLX from upgraded to the 3602 PLX2 model.  The 3602 wasn't much more power than the 3402 predecessor; however, it did have some type of high-pass and low-pass filters that he found worth the upgrade. 

Based on this topic I just picked up a Crown PS200 on Ebay for $100. It will be interesting to plug it into the system.

Dang that was the exact one I was looking at, just kidding.

However, i am excited to hear what you have to think.

Make certain to mount them in a SEALED enclosure where you're drawing lots of air through the slots between the housings to keep them cool if you're running them hard. I've seen guys make mistake of just putting them in open racks and that's not enough air. 

Can you explain further?

Seems counter intuitive to me that putting them into a sealed enclosure would give them more air than an open rack?

I would have thought as long as the front faceplate was in the open air you were good to go.  (I learned a bit differently when I had them stacked on each other while sitting on the floor and had the thermo protection light come on)

sealed in terms of a back, blank spaces filled in the rack etc. so that the vent fans (installed in the rack) move a substantial amount of air in the cracks specially built in to the chassis design of the K2. See the owner's manual. If you rack mount two K series amps there is about a 1/8" gap between them, you need to move some serious air through there. An open rack cabinet or one with lots of leaks won't give you the velocity you need. 

• Like 1

Based on this topic I just picked up a Crown PS200 on Ebay for $100. It will be interesting to plug it into the system.

PS200 arrived today via US Mule and I am listening to it now on the QP system. Compared to the Pioneer D3 amps it really brings out the sound of the QP bass horns as well as seems more dynamic. I will have to play with the system to see if I like it as much in the mids and above, but it sounds really good. $110 on Ebay plus shipping. WOW

Dead quiet too and solid. One of the more substantial amps I have handled recently.

Edited by tromprof
  • Like 1

PS200 arrived today via US Mule and I am listening to it now on the QP system. Compared to the Pioneer D3 amps it really brings out the sound of the QP bass horns as well as seems more dynamic. I will have to play with the system to see if I like it as much in the mids and above, but it sounds really good. $110 on Ebay plus shipping. WOW

Dead quiet too and solid. One of the more substantial amps I have handled recently.

Thats good tok hear. Any chance you'll run it on your mid/hi horns?

Thats good tok hear. Any chance you'll run it on your mid/hi horns?

I am running on the LR channels, all three horns (QP, mid, tweets) but have not AB-ed yet. Having too much fun listening.

• Like 1

I have a d45 which sounds pretty good. I was wondering what some thought of the d150, series one and two. I have read fears that the dc coupled amps will blow speakers. What are all your thoughts. Sound, safety, worth it, can the be modified for better?

I thought the D45 was the best sounding of the older (linear PS) amplifiers. Never cared for thee bigger ones which sounded very strident.

Never cared for thee bigger ones

Such as the d75 and d60?

I believe that the D75 is the predecessor to the D75A.  The D75A and the D45 are shown together in the same operating manual and my understanding is that the circuits are very similar except for output power.

• Like 1