wet/dirty sock syndrome - HVAC

Paducah Home Theater

Any HVAC guys here?  Any ideas on how to fix this?  Having trouble finding a local contractor who knows their stuff.  Only two solutions I've heard of is to ship your coils off to get them coated, and also there's apparently some water soluble pills you can apply somehow.  

If you're wondering what I'm talking about, apparently AC manufacturers have been getting their copper from China, and it is not pure, instead full of pores.  During the summer bacteria gets into these pores and have a big party.  Come winter time, if you have a gas heater, the heat is high enough to kill the bacteria.  If you have electric heat, not so much, and right when the unit cycles but the heat isn't fully on, it fills your house with the smell of funk.  Manufacturers blame it on "environmental factors", but that's BS, it's because they used cheap Chinese copper in an electric unit.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

If the evaporator lines was full of pores my guess is that it would leak refrigerant.

I was told it is copper but this article says it is aluminum:

http://www.achrnews.com/articles/97993-a-new-solution-found-for-dirty-sock-syndrome

"Dirty Sock started appearing just about the time OEMs started using recycled aluminum in their coils instead of virgin. The belief is that the recycled is more porous and provides a kind of petri dish for bacteria growth."

Never seen a aluminum coil on an A/C unit before but i guess it could be done.

Anything that holds moisture can mold and not just the coils but the surrounding duct work would also be susceptible as well.

If the coating works it may be an option but how long does it last would be my first question and second would be are there any guarantees the coating will solve the problem.

Heat Pumps only. The defrost cycle doesn't help. I can tell you that what you do in your home absolutely is a factor. Doesn't mean you're nasty, it's just the right "concoction".

Clean the coil completely. Clean it again. Then there's some stuff that can be sprayed on that lasts a season. 

We install literally thousands of systems a year and only have problem with one or two tops. It's not the copper or aluminum tubing.

Can't have cheap or expensive copper.  It just Cu.

Over in China, seemingly nothing is pure.  That's why there's cheap screwdrivers that will bend and break easily.  They melt stuff down and don't purify it like we would over here.  If you notice on IST's page:

http://www.istonline.ca/mach5_ftw_21.html

"Unlike Chinese-based steel products, there are no car doors in the steel used here!"

It's a big widespread issue that's pretty common.

I can tell you that what you do in your home absolutely is a factor. Doesn't mean you're nasty, it's just the right "concoction".

What I was surprised about is how fast it appeared. This is a new house and a new system. It appeared soon after the first time it got real cold. I swap out filters regularly. Seems like there should have been a build-up time of a few years or something.

I'm just a DIY guy so I just have amateur advice...

So, could you kick on "emergency heat" so the heat strips kick on?  I'm wondering if that would make it hot enough to clean it up?  Now that I think about it the heat strips might be after the coil so that wouldn't do you any good.  

I'm curious how the coil in a heat pump could have enough moisture to support bacteria when it is running in heat mode?  Mine is dry as a bone in the winter.  Hmmmm... what about that Bacticide stuff you use in your humidifier water to keep the water from getting funky?  I wonder if you could spray that on your coil in the winter when you are changing over from Cool to Heat.  I would think you would only have to do it once after you are done with Cool mode for the Winter.  

What I don't understand is how cleaning your air conditioner keeps your heater smelling nice and fresh. Makes no sense to me. Apparently this is what it takes though, this is a local company, apparently I need to give them a call.

They seem to be using these tablets.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/DiversiTech-PROTREAT-151-Pro-Treat-151-Premium-Drain-Pan-Treatment-100-Tablets?gclid=CjwKEAiAt_K0BRCzjtv92_HGoR0SJAA9QNn_NmuasrxZSiWa6ZOYhRPw-aVsXiBA7JP-hPHKL2vrfRoC_63w_wcB

actually:

http://ingramswaterandair.com/ac-rescue-p-16746.html

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Those tabs are fine for the drain pan in the summer but won't do a thing during the winter.  Did you notice how undersized the filter was that he installed?... and all the rubble around the return air vent?  

The evaporator coil is pretty dry during the winter.  On my systems we get a funky smell the first time the heat strips kick on but it all burns off in short order.  Keeping the filters changed seems to have kept my coils very clean.  I don't see a bit of dust in there.