Klipsch KL-650 THX or RF-7s?

jcasemusic

I am going all separates now and going with an Onkyo's PRSC5530 Pre amp and an Emotiva XPA-7. I mainly watch movies hardly EVER do music if that helps and wanted to know what you guys thought. I have nowhere to listen to the KL's where I am and know the 7's sound good but I wasn't as impressed with them as I thought I would be. I've also thought about the KL's as a left and right and the rc64 as center but didn't know how well they would match up. Please any info would be great as I have been obsessing over this now for far too long and there isn't enough KL-650's reviews that have satisfied and most reviews are from people that don't even have them or may have heard them for a second or so. PLEASE HELP lol.

• Moderators

I've own RF-7 and RF-7ii and enjoy them both for music.  I've heard wakejunkie's RF-7ii with custom RF-7ii center and it sounds absolutely fantastic for both music and movies.  What is it that you do not like about the RF-7's?  I haven't heard the THX Ultra2's yet myself. From what I've read, they definitely take more power, sound great for home theater, pretty blah for movies so they might be a great fit for you.  Hopefully someone has owned or at least heard both to help give you some advice.

JCMusic, in what kind of room will these be going?  ie dedicated theater, living room, downstairs TV room, etc. and what size is that room?

I've never heard the RF-7's but their reputation is solid.  But if you didn't like the sound for whatever reason, you can certainly move on to something else.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't heard the RF-7s in a theater.  I have the THX Ultra2s and love them for movies.  They are ok for music.  I never have time to do critical listening, so they work great for me.  I don't think you could go wrong with either.  I would recommend 3 650s across the front.

• Like 1

The RF 7's are great for HT.  If they did not impress, they may not have been optimally setup.  I have not hear the KL series but, have read some good stuff by owners on the forum.  A lot depends on what type of room the system will be in and how much space you have to work with.  Either would most like be an excellent choice.  I lover the dialogue clarity and power of my RF system.  I truly can't find a negative thing to say about the Ref. system for HT.

Edited by derrickdj1

I have nowhere to listen to the KL's where I am

Sure you do. :) As I mentioned before I have a personally owned set that I got awhile ago from a different dealer, you can even A/B them with my 7's. I'm two hours away.

Generally speaking:

RF-7ii's: fairly colorful which is great for music, thick on the low end which is good for that good midbass rock growl, has the famous Klipsch sound which makes things like horns in an orchestra really shine, has a larger compression driver and lower crossover than the other reference speakers, gives cymbals a nice thick tone. Basically the perfect rock speaker in my opinion.

KL-650-THX: really flat, really boring for music unless you're into that sort of thing, in which they are excellent I suppose. Super nice for movie dialogue, speech sounds about as good as you're going to get in the consumer oriented Klipsch speakers, has no weird response issues. Virtually zero bass extension comparatively, you have to blend with a sub well and pretty high. Basically the perfect consumer oriented speaker for well mixed movies, things like Star Wars is awesome on them.  Does not have what I consider to be the famous Klipsch sound, they're just pretty flat.  Probably very similar to how James speakers sound.  

Specifically comparing the 650 to the RC-64ii, the 650 wins easily.  The only thing that it would be lacking is things like concert blu rays where the kick drum comes through strong on the center channel.  The 64 probably sounds better for that purpose.  Speech though, especially off-axis, 650's going to win.  

Oh, and yeah, don't mix them.  They are way too different to do that.  Need to match whatever mains you go with.  

thx%20reference_zpsds0hwmma.png

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

Sure you do. As I mentioned before I have a personally owned set that I got awhile ago from a different dealer, you can even A/B them with my 7's. I'm two hours away.

I always cringe when I see subjective analysis of speakers as much as I do hearing someone say they didn't like how a certain, well regarded speaker sounded....The thing I noticed back in the old days, a salesman tells you what he hears (or is trained to say) about a speaker and it sure is easier to agree with them than spend a lot of time forming your own opinion.

That's not to say that the person isn't necessarily correct or another doesn't like the sound of a speaker, but personalities, expectations, room acoustics, power, processor settings, and SPL all play into what you are hearing.

Insofar as the OPs question--I would graciously take Metro up on his offer because I've compared the RF-7s and KL-650s in several HT configurations and can't imagine a person who owned one wouldn't like the other and in a blind test would be comparing different ice creams or Pizza, imo.

Not sure how accurate SPL phone apps are but it would be a good idea for anyone comparing speakers to at least to level match what you are listening too--For the most part people prefer 'louder" when comparing 2 speakers and that can really skew your perception. My 2 cents

Edited by Zen Traveler

I don't think you can go wrong with either route you take. Personally I would go with a full line of Heresies. I enjoy the three way for sound reproduction and they are small enough to remain unobtrusive. You can fly them, wall mount them or put them on stands. My .02... 

Tim

I always cringe when I see subjective analysis of speakers

He asked what we thought, which is basically asking for opinions, and by definition every opinion about speakers short of actual measurements is subjective. Such things ought to be expected. When you ask for speaker opinions, about all you can hope for is to notice recurring themes from multiple people. Saying that THX is rather bland for music is kind of a recurring theme.

But yes, proper integration is the key. Either one could be awesome in a properly integrated home theater especially for movies. That doesn't mean that each is without its pros and cons. Yes, what exactly those pros and cons are is in fact subjective. I don't see how you can get around that short of boycotting the conversation.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

When you ask for speaker opinions, about all you can hope for is to notice recurring themes from multiple people. Saying that THX is rather bland for music is kind of a recurring theme.

I understand and didn't mean to come across as being combative. You gave an informed opinion, which agreed is what the OP was looking for...If he were to use the search function he would see what mine and others are as well. I gave what I thought was good advice and you are the man with a plan inviting him over for an audition. :) Good Luck.

Edited by Zen Traveler
  • Like 1

The only thing I feel strongly about and isn't really subjective is the superiority of identical LCR's. A horizontal center channel that is not on the same plane is always a compromise, doesn't really matter what speaker we are talking about. The THX is going to really shine in this regard comparatively unless you can fit three towers in a row.

http://www.seymourav.com/centerbestpractice.asp

Here is a good question:

JCMusic, in what kind of room will these be going? ie dedicated theater, living room, downstairs TV room, etc. and what size is that room?

I admit the science shows 3 identical speakers would be the best, but their footprint IS something to consider---If these aren't going behind a screen, placing that Center channel could be problematic.

Edited by Zen Traveler

I am going all separates now and going with an Onkyo's PRSC5530 Pre amp and an Emotiva XPA-7. I mainly watch movies hardly EVER do music if that helps and wanted to know what you guys thought. I have nowhere to listen to the KL's where I am and know the 7's sound good but I wasn't as impressed with them as I thought I would be. I've also thought about the KL's as a left and right and the rc64 as center but didn't know how well they would match up. Please any info would be great as I have been obsessing over this now for far too long and there isn't enough KL-650's reviews that have satisfied and most reviews are from people that don't even have them or may have heard them for a second or so. PLEASE HELP lol.

I own the KL-650's ,5 total for front and rear along with KS-525 sides and 2 KW-120 subs . I can tell you that for Movies they are phenomenal and short of Pro Gear they are the best I have heard especially considering the foot print and flexibility. I run everything but the subs of off 2 Emotiva    XPA-5's . I highly recommend matching the whole system instead of inserting random speakers. Since you mainly run movies I would lean this direction, if you were to be using them more for split duty I would start leaning more towards the 7's. I think the general consensus would be that the 7's are better for music and the THX Ultra II system is better for Movies unless your room starts getting too big then the 7's will cover it better. Hope this helps.

Since he almost never listens to music, the Ultra2 is likely the choice.

You are paying a premium for the THX certification, however it is designed to be forgiving in the installation to provide a no bad seat in the house experience for the right sized room.

They are a little more power hungry as gnote will attest to.

I would take MetropolisLakeOutfitters up on his offer.

It is impressive that the Ultra2 are a ~10 year old design and are still very highly regarded.

Fwiw, I don't believe the KL-650 are more power hungry than the RF7IIs.

I don't know for sure but they need more power than any other Klipsch product I've owned and quite a bit more.

Opusk has owned just about everything twice over , so when he says they are a little more power hungry I would believe him !