RC64II vs RP450C

AaronB123

I recently purchased the RP450C center for my home theater and it is a good center but not exactly up to par with what I was looking for. I hate to say it but there is a noticable difference in sound quality when compared to my mains. I found someone on craigslist selling a RC64II and am wondering if it is worth just trying to sell this center and buying that one. I made a thread a while back about what to use as my center and many people did say the RC64II was better than the RP450C. Can anyone that has had experience with both centers please let me know if you think it is worth the upgrade if I already have the RP450C? 

I know many people have told me with my mains (Chorus I) that I should go with a vintage center like perhaps an academy but it's been tough trying to find one in good condition that is local. I am 99% sure I want to give the RC64II a shot I just need to know if the people with experience with it think it's worth it considering the price difference over the one I currently have. All opinions are much appreciated! 

Aaron, is there any chance the 450 needs some break-in time?  Some speakers do, some don't.  That 450c has gotten rave reviews everywhere so your choice would seem to be solid.

What is the setup on your 450?  I presume you ran your YPAO.  I don't know if these need power but I see the max power is 150 watts.

Aaron, is there any chance the 450 needs some break-in time?  Some speakers do, some don't.  That 450c has gotten rave reviews everywhere so your choice would seem to be solid.

What is the setup on your 450?  I presume you ran your YPAO.  I don't know if these need power but I see the max power is 150 watts.

Thanks for the response and I was actually wondering if perhaps it does need some more time to break in. I did run MCACC (Pioneer's version of YPAO) I am running a Pioneer Elite VSX-90 that pushes 100watts per channel with Klipsch Chorus I as mains and JBL S310 as rears. 

I definitely agree about the rave reviews which is why I chose to give it a shot but I mean it just kinda sounds thin and tinny in comparison with the Chorus's. I figured that could possibly be due to the fact that the Chorus's are much higher end speakers than the RP450 

How long do you guys suggest letting a speaker break in before you give it proper judgment? I would say truthfully I probably have about 5 hours of use on this thing so far. 

Scrappydue to the rescue. Others love that center channel. I don't care for it one bit. My guess is your used to a nice full big sound from your chorus. The 450c doesn't deliver any of that. Sounded small and veiled to my ears. And I've had three of them total at different times and have heard three of them in friends homes. Sounded the same at all of them. Some on denon others on pioneer elite. Just not a great center in my opinion.

Now will you like the 64ii better? Hard to say. I'm not a big fan of it either. But I'm used to very big speakers in my basement. Only center that has satisfied me since owing cinema gear was the palladium and my current diy center channel.

• Like 2

The official answer is to always match your mains as much as possible.  I can tell a slight difference A/B'ing them but I'm not sure I'd want to mix and match between the 64 and the ref premiere line.  As for it not matching the quality of your mains, well, the 64 doesn't match the quality of the 7's either.  At least the tweeters match.  All horizontal centers are a compromise, that's just the way it is.  If you want a perfect match then get a third tower.  

• Like 1

Scrappydue to the rescue. Others love that center channel. I don't care for it one bit. My guess is your used to a nice full big sound from your chorus. The 450c doesn't deliver any of that. Sounded small and veiled to my ears. And I've had three of them total at different times and have heard three of them in friends homes. Sounded the same at all of them. Some on denon others on pioneer elite. Just not a great center in my opinion.

Now will you like the 64ii better? Hard to say. I'm not a big fan of it either. But I'm used to very big speakers in my basement. Only center that has satisfied me since owing cinema gear was the palladium and my current diy center channel.

Pretty much exactly how I am feeling! The sound just sounds very small and thin when compared to the chorus and even the JBL rears. You can definitely tell a difference when the center is the one playing. That palladium is definitely way out of my price range and I'm not sure I'm advanced enough to make my own center. Do you have any experience with the Academy or any other vintage speaker that you think would make a good match? 

What's this craigslist guy wanting for it?  If you can get it cheap enough just get it to dink around with then dump whichever one you don't like the most on ebay.  

The guy on craigslist is asking 550 which is a bit tough because I just bought this center. I was hoping to perhaps sell this one and then buy that one. Do you think 550 is a fair price? He says it's around 3 years old. 

Aaron if the XO is at 80 Hz, move it down to 50 Hz .  Ideally you need a Heritage speakers for the center but, sometime it's a bit of a space problem.  As far as the RC 64 and 64 II, it is an excellent center and is made for the large Reference speakers.  I have heard HT with 3 identical speakers and have no intentions of getting rid of my RC 64.  The older RC 64 may be a better match if the Chorus tweeter is 1 inch.  There are some guys on the forum using the RC 64/II with Heritage speakers.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

What's this craigslist guy wanting for it?  If you can get it cheap enough just get it to dink around with then dump whichever one you don't like the most on ebay.  

The guy on craigslist is asking 550 which is a bit tough because I just bought this center. I was hoping to perhaps sell this one and then buy that one. Do you think 550 is a fair price? He says it's around 3 years old. 

If it's in near perfect condition then that's one of the cheaper ones I've seen.  Haggle a bit more and I seriously doubt you'll lose anything if you resell it.  As soon as you do that though you'll be wanting to upgrade your towers to the matching compression driver of your center.  :)  

• Like 1

Aaron if the XO is at 80 Hz, move it down to 50 Hz . Ideally you need a Heritage speakers for the center but, sometime it's a bit of a space problem. As far as the RC 64 and 64 II, it is an excellent center and is made for the large Reference speakers. I have heard HT with 3 identical speakers and have no intentions of getting rid of my RC 64. The older RC 64 may be a better match if the Chorus tweeter is 1 inch. There are some guys on the forum using the RC 64/II with Heritage speakers.

this is hard for me to imagine. I know you attend gtg's. I'm sure you have heard some great LCR setups. The very first time I heard one my 64 just didn't cut it at all anymore

If it's in near perfect condition then that's one of the cheaper ones I've seen.  Haggle a bit more and I seriously doubt you'll lose anything if you resell it.  As soon as you do that though you'll be wanting to upgrade your towers to the matching compression driver of your center.   :)

I dont see myself ever upgrading my Chorus's unless I moved to the La Scala's or the Klipschorns in which case I would most likely move the Chorus's to the rear and use them as rears. 

Aaron if the XO is at 80 Hz, move it down to 50 Hz .  Ideally you need a Heritage speakers for the center but, sometime it's a bit of a space problem.  As far as the RC 64 and 64 II, it is an excellent center and is made for the large Reference speakers.  I have heard HT with 3 identical speakers and have no intentions of getting rid of my RC 64.  The older RC 64 may be a better match if the Chorus tweeter is 1 inch.  There are some guys on the forum using the RC 64/II with Heritage speakers.

The X over is actually set at 80. I'll give that a try and see how it does. 

Aaron if the XO is at 80 Hz, move it down to 50 Hz . Ideally you need a Heritage speakers for the center but, sometime it's a bit of a space problem. As far as the RC 64 and 64 II, it is an excellent center and is made for the large Reference speakers. I have heard HT with 3 identical speakers and have no intentions of getting rid of my RC 64. The older RC 64 may be a better match if the Chorus tweeter is 1 inch. There are some guys on the forum using the RC 64/II with Heritage speakers.

this is hard for me to imagine. I know you attend gtg's. I'm sure you have heard some great LCR setups. The very first time I heard one my 64 just didn't cut it at all anymore

The different gtg's are a great way to hear different setups.  Nothing wrong with 3 identical speakers and it does sound great.  The RC 64 works great in my particular system since the screen stops a couple of feet above the floor.  I just don't have problems with dialogue clarity, thinness, spl or blending with the mains.  I like the 6.5 woofers: perfect for voices and not to much bass.  I would have gotten an RF 63 but, the RF 7's came up first.  Now, I am an RF 7 fan. Sometimes I think the RF 7 are a little bass heavy. I like 6.5 and 8 in. woofers for HT since I rely on subs.  I guess it's just personal choice.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1