Thinking of perhaps sometime in the future upgrading the mains to La Scala's but is it worth it?

AaronB123

I know it's absolutely worth it in terms of the value of the speaker but I am speaking more in terms of the size of my theater room which is roughly 21x14 feet. For those that have been following my threads I am sure you know I currently have Chorus 1's as mains and I am in no way unhappy with them, I do love them very much and they are the best speaker I have heard thus far but that is half the reason I want to try the La Scala's I say to myself if these are this good I can't imagine what a pair of La Scala's would be like. 

If I did this I would buy used of course, and would without a doubt keep my Chorus's and probably move them to the rears which I sort of feel like is a waste for such a fine speaker but at the same time I would rather do that than get rid of them. They started my Klipsch heritage journey, I will never get rid of them. 

The main reason I ask if it's worth it is because I feel they might be overkill for my room size. I have dabbled at the idea of Klipschorns but I know that's a ridiculous idea for my current theater room as I would not be able to put them in the corners because I have a pipe coming out of one corner and the other is blocked off as well. I have heard those really require tons more space than what I have also so I figure the La Scala would be a happy medium as I have heard they are sort of like a Klipschorn that does't require a corner. 

What are your thoughts? Also I am in the CT area if anyone has a pair for sale. 

• Like 1

Two La Scalas will play as loud as four Chorus speakers and I much prefer a totally Horn loaded speaker system as well as the clarity youy will have on vocals. Before I upgraded to Klipsch TSCM's, I used to have Klipschorns with a La Scala center. Definately run 3 across the front if you can fit them and fill in the bottom end with a horn loaded sub.

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer
  • Like 3

The LaScala is a wonderful speaker but, if this is for HT or majority HT it may be worth it.  For stricly 2 channel the La Scala and Chorus are both excellent.

I would say my setup  is probably 75% 2 channel music and 25% movies and theater. The majority is definitely music. 

Two La Scalas will play as loud as four Chorus speakers and I much prefer a totally Horn loaded speaker system as well as the clarity youy will have on vocals. Before I upgraded to Klipsch TSCM's, I used to have Klipschorns with a La Scala center. Definately run 3 across the front if you can fit them and fill in the bottom end with a horn loaded sub.

Roger

And I thought the Chorus's had clear vocals! I definitely agree though, I have really been wanting to try a fully horn loaded setup! I'm all about the loud clear vocals so it sounds like this will be a really good idea! What's a Klipsch TSCM by the way? 

• Moderators

Dang it Roger!  Looks like we've got another one sucked into the abyss of Heritage Speakers.  LOL

Aaron, I never ever saw myself selling my RF-83's.  They were my first NEW speaker (even though I bartered for them in exchange for developing a website for a local installer).  I always told myself if I could find a pair of LaScalas for $500 or less, I would buy them just so I could say I had experienced them in my own home, with my own gear and with my own ears.  I LOVED the sound of the RF-83's and I have owned a ton of Klipsch over the years, including Forte II and Chorus II.  Although the Chorus II sounded nice, they didn't have the same slam that the RF-83's did so I kept the 83's.  But the day I purchased the LaScalas, something changed.  The LaScalas had ridiculous clarity and detail and vocals were MUCH better than the 83's.  The sound was full, and rich.  I wanted to give myself a week or two be certain that the LS were the right choice, especially because I have never liked the dated look of the LaScalas. 

A few weeks later, I purchased a third LaScala from wstrickland.  He had a meeting later that month about 45 min from me and offered to deliver the single LaScala to me.

Needless to say, as soon as I hooked up the center LaScala, strangely the RC-64 suddenly sounded small.  It was at that moment that I realized how good LaScalas were and having three identical LaScalas were absolutely phenomenal!  The ONLY thing I was disappointed in was they don't "slam" like the RF-83's, RF-7's, RF-7ii's, CF-4's and KLF-30's that I've owned. 

This is the last time I saw the RF-83's & RC-64

Klipsch-LaScala-vs-RF-83-2.jpg

I did MANY A/B comparisons because I did not want to sell my babies and end up regretting it.  The RF-83's are fantastic speakers.....but I have NEVER regretted my decision to keep the LaScalas.  Not only did I keep the LaScalas, but I'm now in the final stages of rebuilding the front wall.

Ask Roger, I was probably the least likely person to ever want to keep a pair of LaScalas due to their vintage look alone.  I've said this before but I can't imagine ever wanting to sell them...until something that sounds better comes along at a great price.  ;)

• Like 2

Great pic Busa….Rubik's fan?

Thanks... One of those cubes is an original from 1980 (when I was 14). I could solve it in under a minute back then. Now I need to refer to the book to get the last corners/edges. Still fun to play with.

• Like 1

Go for it!  My first Klipsch speakers were La Scalas.  Two years later, I converted them to 510 JubScalas.  Five years after that, they were reverted to regular La Scalas and became my side surround speakers, because the new mains are 510 JubScala IIs.  More is more!

The front centre is a Belle.  I usually listen in 5.1, but if 6.1 is called for, the rear centre is a Heresy III.

For serious listening, just the JubScala IIs and the sub are working.  The purity improvement is noticeable.  This means that your best bet is La Scalas all around.  There are some members with such a setup.

The room is 18' x 19' with an 8-foot ceiling, and the system is on the longer wall.  The sofa is about 12 feet from the speakers and about 4 feet from the back wall.

Edited by Islander
  • Like 1

You will definitely enjoy the sounds of a BIG horn. While not the La Scala, I've got a pair of Altec 19s which have the 811 horn. You will be amazed at the presence a big horn can give. The Chorus are most definitely nice, but aren't really a fair comparison for the big horn models.

You will definitely enjoy the sounds of a BIG horn. While not the La Scala, I've got a pair of Altec 19s which have the 811 horn. You will be amazed at the presence a big horn can give. The Chorus are most definitely nice, but aren't really a fair comparison for the big horn models.

I actually see a lot of those Altec 19's on eBay, How are they, how do they compare to the La Scala?