Help Identify this crossover for La Scala's

I have been given these two different La Scala's one works one has No Bass...They also have Two Different Crossovers in each unit. Here is the first one the none working Bass is pictured...These are in Dire Straights of some TLC...If by chance where could I find a Schematic or Service Manual...Thanks for All who Answer...

Edited by The Glazierman

The aluminum strip that has the word 'Klipsch' on it has the model of the crossover. Clean it off so you can read it. Most all the schematics are in a post pinned at the top of the Technical Modifications pages.

Given the age of these, the capacitors should probably be replaced, but first, loosen the screws on the terminal block and re-tighten. That may help.

Do you have a meter to check voltage/current/resistance? If so, you could then remove the two wires to the woofer and measure the resistance. They are four ohm woofers, but the dc resistance will be slightly different and I don't have the figure for it. If you get an infinite reading, either a lead is broken/burned through or come loose from the speaker. You could open up the woofer compartment by removing the bottom, but it's a lot of screws. The bottom would also likely be stuck on pretty tight due to the old gasket.

And... welcome to the forums!

Bruce

Edited by Marvel
  • Like 2

I forgot how these are connected... There is a terminal block mounted on the top of the doghouse area, I think just behind the crossover. The woofer wires from the crossover attach to this. make sure those are connected. Without making it too hard, removing the leads here should give you a straight connex to the woofer. Otherwise, you be measuring through the crossover parts (Inductor and cap, etc.)

Bruce

those are very early AL's AKA tweeter killers.   

Is there a thread somewhere detailing how to upgrade the AL's to something better?  Or is total replacement the way to go?

Here is a pic of an AL crossover.  It looks very different from the one pictured above in Post 3. 

post-58280-0-18680000-1459909049_thumb.j

Edited by wvu80

I do prefer them over the AL's, too much correction circuits, sucks the life out of music IMHO. Correction networks gives you a nice flat graph to look at though if you care for those things.

Clarification, what is "them?"  Are you saying you like the AA's over the AL's?

I'm not sure what the "correction circuit" is either.  I have LS's with AA's and the AL's which are orphaned and in need of some sprucing up, if that can be done.

What is your preference in terms of ranking the networks?  (ie  A, AL, AA. etc)  Or is that a bad question?

Edited by wvu80

I had a pair of AL crossovers.  They were in pretty rough shape.  Contacted Bob Crites and he told me that is the only crossover he does NOT rebuild and that total replacement would be the suggested route.  Perhaps he just wanted to sell me a new set?

Keep you eyes peeled, occasionally used AA networks come available for sale.

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

So... what he needs to do, as I said above, is clean off the plate and it will tell him what model they are...

I hated the AL, built some DHA2 type, would also like A, AA crossovers. If I had the money I would have Dean build me a pair of special ones.

Bruce

Edited by Marvel

Thanks for the responses i believe it is AA not quite got all the gunk off but i did ohm the woofer and it was a connection that was loose...  the speaker was 3.90 ohm

and both tweeters show 18 ohm...and no sound from either one...

Edited by The Glazierman

What are your serial numbers?  They should be stamped in the edge plys in the rear if the tags are unreadable. 

Your crossovers are surely Type AL.  They have frequency response contouring that messes up the sound in the 400 Hz crossover range.  French horns sound like a howl. 

Your woofers should have a DCResistance of 3.2 ohms.  More means you likely have corrossion on a terminal, or 2. 

Your Tweeters should have a DCR of 7.5 ohms.  18 ohms indicates some odd problem, or that you measured them while connected to the crossover.  Very old K-77 tweeters, with round, cadmium-plated magnet covers, may have a DCR of about 12 ohms as they carried a 16 ohm rating. 

wvu80, the square plastic caps were used in later Type AL networks.  Mine had all metal paper in oil caps. 

Thanks for the responses i believe it is AA not quite got all the gunk off but i did ohm the woofer and it was a connection that was loose...  the speaker was 3.90 ohm

and both tweeters show 18 ohm...and no sound from either one...

Trace the tweeter wire and the mid wire back to the network and remove the wires from network. Try your speaker wire hooked to one driver at a time separated from the network at a very low power level. I bet you get sound from each.  I wouldn't do this if you are running tubes though.

Look at these:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/163404-aa-crossovers-from-klipschorns/

I don't know him, and he's a new user.... Also he says Crites spice, and I haven't a clue about that. Look original and in need of caps to me. Also the tower caps or whatever those things in the back are is puzzling.

Edited by mustang guy