Someone want to take on a plumbing question?

Coytee

By bringing the drain line across the room, your plumber essentially created an "island" sink. A loop vent would have been ideal, but the air admittance valve is a viable solution. The biggest "problem" with air admittance valves is that they only open when water flow creates negative pressure. Once you address the "salt shaker" vs water tension issue, you'll be in business.

Your enemy seems to be surface tension, which is exacerbated by hard water. Larger holes and/or a new tailpiece should help tremendously.

The single thing that really intrigues me is the gurgling you will get if you take your finger and rub it over the sink drain

Did you read the link in post 2?

PM sent.

I hadn't read anything....I went to bed.  I just now looked at it.

Interestingly, we seem to have a lot of calcium in our water...  I don't know how hard it is but it's not soft!

I happened to tell the wife yesterday that it looks like there is a bubble trapped in there and I was betting the surface tension of the water was holding the bubble captive, making it act a bit like a plug.

I went so far as to take a straw in there.  I was going to poke the straw through the bubble and see if this mini-vent would help.

Well....the holes are about 1/4" of the diamater of the straw so I had to crush the top of the straw to fit it through the hole of the cover....  it was essentially a failed experiment but, I did tell the wife I still thought that was it and bet that if we replaced the entire tailpiece, it would help.

She has a pop-up stopper on hand, something like this

http://www.plumbingoverstock.com/p-7962-premier-15-non-overflow-pop-up-bathroom-sink-drain-d-208orb.aspx?CAWELAID=1919668744&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=420002110000164416&cadevice=c&gclid=COfShcHz_ssCFYaTfgodQLEMgg

Might have to give it a try.

She wanted to stay away from any kind of stopper because the vessel has no overflow and she didn't want any chance of it over flowing.

Gotta get ready for work.  Will take a picture later. 

The rest of the story:

We happened to have a pop-up stopper that was unused.  Wife actually bought it for this specific sink then decided she didn't want any chance of it holding water so we got the free flowing drain.  (how ironic)

I switched them out today and all I have to say is "OMG" the water just RUSHES out of there!!!

To be honest, I'm not really sure we actually needed the vent.  I say that from the perspective that we have 1 1/2" pipe going into a larger pipe.  I'm guessing there is enough pipe size to more than cover the water flow.

Be it as it may....we are now sitting with a vent in there so I'm leaving it.  Not having done it both ways, it might actually be of some help too so I can live with that reality.

Before, the rate of faucet putting water into the sink, exceeded the ability of the drain to keep up so it would slowly fill on you.

Now, you can fill the sink to the brim, turn water on 100%, pop the drain and within probably 5-7 seconds, that sucker is empty.  The water just RUNS out of there.

So, another successful group fix.  I appreciate all the thoughts from everyone.  Well...  Carl's idea to drill out the holes was a bit kooky.....  (however, it was something I had already thought of so I must paint myself with the same paint I'm throwing at you pal!)

I think they acted more like a dome.

Here's a picture of the cabinet during the process.  Note that you can see standing water in it and faucet isn't on.

You can also see how I had to rotate the P-trap forward at an angle to account for the extra length of the "T" fitting for the vent.  I trimmed all the extra length I could and still feel comfortable that the glue would hold.

post-12967-0-76960000-1460228241_thumb.j

post-12967-0-54440000-1460228255_thumb.j

The rest of the story:

We happened to have a pop-up stopper that was unused.  Wife actually bought it for this specific sink then decided she didn't want any chance of it holding water so we got the free flowing drain.  (how ironic)

I switched them out today and all I have to say is "OMG" the water just RUSHES out of there!!!

To be honest, I'm not really sure we actually needed the vent.  I say that from the perspective that we have 1 1/2" pipe going into a larger pipe.  I'm guessing there is enough pipe size to more than cover the water flow.

Be it as it may....we are now sitting with a vent in there so I'm leaving it.  Not having done it both ways, it might actually be of some help too so I can live with that reality.

Before, the rate of faucet putting water into the sink, exceeded the ability of the drain to keep up so it would slowly fill on you.

Now, you can fill the sink to the brim, turn water on 100%, pop the drain and within probably 5-7 seconds, that sucker is empty.  The water just RUNS out of there.

So, another successful group fix.  I appreciate all the thoughts from everyone.  Well...  Carl's idea to drill out the holes was a bit kooky.....  (however, it was something I had already thought of so I must paint myself with the same paint I'm throwing at you pal!)

I thought these projects required the enforcement of the "non interference doctrine" if you know what I mean.

JJK