Newbie needs Khorn advice

gbs

I'm a total newbie to this forum, and 'm sorry if the following is something that has been discussed many times before.  But I have been longing for Khorns for many decades, and now finally have the money and appropriate room for them (my wife will even let me do it).  Could I get advice on which ones to focus on?  They have been made for almost eighty years.  Are some decades better than others?  Are the new ones better than the old ones--or vice versa?  Anything else to look out for?  Thanks so much.  I just don't want to make a mistake in this once-in-a-lifetime purchase.

Welcome to the forum, there are some folks on here that can give you detailed info.  Such as, which were BB, MDF, or even marine grade plywood (fir I believe).  Each one of those will have different woofers, either the K401 or k400 for the mid horn.  K55v, k55m, and one newer K55 mid horn driver.  Then there is the tweeter which I believe most of them are the k-77, and last the networks. This all depends on your listening on which you think is best.  You will even see some older units ( Pre 1960's) that will have wooden horns and university drivers.  Me personally I would look for the best appearance with lowest price, as you can all ways upgrade your components.  How about your location and maybe we can help find you a good deal, good luck on your search.

its been said before on here. the best year for k-horns are the ones you own

i've had 7 pairs in the last 25 years

personally i like the years from the 60's up to 1978. the 60's have the pie slice logo and the years of 76-77-78 have the laser logo.

also i have to have the B style k-horns ( KB ) with the collar and i also like ( KD - Decorator in birch raw ) no oak - no black

Edited by Budman
  • Like 2

The best ones are ones that are close to you...buy those..lol. Don't forget the top horn comes off when you try to put them in your vehicle. Make sure all drivers work before making offer. You would not believe what mine looked like before I fixed them up its a lot of work but I got them for 1000.00.

As the Sage of Chicago, Ann Landers, wrote: "All generalizations are false, including this one." (Ann must have been channeling Kurt Gödel.)

Also: A writer of an automotive column wrote (roughly): "People ask me what car they should buy. I tell them, "Honda Civic. Mostly because there is little chance it will disappoint them and they'll come back at me asking why I recommended this lemon."

And then there is Sara Lee -- Nobody doesn't like Sara Lee.

Overall, the advice given above doesn't give a definite answer.

Let me suggest that you familiarize yourself with the K-Horn via this link.

http://www.klipsch.com/klipschorn-history

When you're shopping around you'll be able to get an idea of where the unit fits into the history.

If pressed, I'd say, look at post 1987 units. That is when the resin K-400 midrange came into use. Not much was wrong with the metal version and the switch was probably to address production costs. Klipsch said the resin unit had a little bit lower distortion. (Ringing?)

My thought is that post 1987 units are fairly close to what is being made today. The more recent ones get very expense and cost benefit considerations get murky.

There are, admittedly, complicated changes in the mid driver and crossovers, over the years also.

As mentioned above: As you are shopping there will be issues of cabinet type, veneer condition, and distance from you. These factors are pretty much up to you.

WMcD

All Khorns are great -- condition will be the most important.  Older ones will more than likely need capacitor replacements in the crossovers.  Then there are the different styles that came out -- B, C, D and of course there is the new style that is produced today which is more of a C-style (not sure if it is actually called that anymore).  And the most personal choice you can make is the wood finish.  New versions are $12k per pair, so if that is above your budget then you will have to go used and you will be constrained by what is available and location.