Anyone else noticing some movies mixed too hot?

Grizzog

I've been noticing on some movies, it seems they weren't really paying attention to mic levels. Special effects/explosions sound awesome, but sometimes in scenes where there is yelling dialog, there will be crackling/clipping in the center channel.

I don't listen above -17 on my receiver and my center is also set at -8. It is repeatable and happens in the same spot within the movie. Apparently some people can't hear this sound, but once you do, it is awful. The RP series is ruthless with showing poor recordings, so these sounds just can't hide.

Apparently some people can't hear this sound, but once you do, it is awful.
You're not alone. A crap mix is just that, and where dialogue is concerned it's just that much more annoying to have to put up with.

I feel your pain. It makes you curl up in your chair, grit your teeth in disgust, and has you quickly dropping anchor on the volume knob.

Bear with it because there's nothing you can do with it at the source end. Cooked is simply cooked, no matter what. There's no bringing it back. The only positive is that the listening experience builds a sincere appreciation for a better mix. :emotion-21:

Tested it this morning on an iTunes movie. Watched it on my main system and could hear the overloaded mic sound. I then put it on my iPhone and through headphones: same part of the movie, same overloaded sound. It's just during yelling dialog in some spots.

Edited by Grizzog

Now...don't laugh at the movie choice, but I knew it had issues.  Step Brothers.  About 19 minutes in (19:20 on my counter), when John C Reilly yells "Hey, did you touch my drum set!?" and throws Will Ferrel's legs off the couch.  That's the most noticeable part, but there are some more examples in that exchange they have.

I also tried it on my computer setup, same issue.

I doubt the movie was mixed too hot. Though sometimes in movies the dialog can get buried in the effects mix. It sounds like it's simply a bad recording... Maybe it's a compression artifact related to iTunes?

And if you're listening at -17, with a center that's another -8 dB down, then there's very little chance any "clipping" is taking place... particularly for a movie like Step Brothers.

Some movies drive me crazy with voices. Transformers 4 is mixed with too much midbass or low midrange in voices and when Tessa screams its just toe curlingly bad. Colombiana has voices so low they come out of the subs.

Lots of movies are just kind of hot in general. Looper is very loud. American Sniper didn't really record Bradley Cooper's fake slang very well, hard to understand, have to turn it up to uncomfortable levels for it to be real clear.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I doubt the movie was mixed too hot. Though sometimes in movies the dialog can get buried in the effects mix. It sounds like it's simply a bad recording... Maybe it's a compression artifact related to iTunes?

And if you're listening at -17, with a center that's another -8 dB down, then there's very little chance any "clipping" is taking place... particularly for a movie like Step Brothers.

I don't mean the amp clipping, but the movie itself - such as overloaded mics.

I noticed it on some blu rays as well. Some are amazing, some not so much.

I don't trust iTunes. 

The movie mixers are supposed stay below "full scale" (in a calibrated control room full scale is 105 dB through any speaker except the sub(s) which are allowed 115 dB).  Anything over that will sound terrible.  BUT, if the dialog elements, recorded at an earlier date, often in another studio, or on set, are delivered to them with microphone diaphragm crashing, or condenser mic electronic overload, there isn't much they can do about it, short of asking the money guys for a re-do. 

The better your speakers, the more distortion in the source will show up (unless they are High End speakers designed to veil both distortion and detail :rolleyes:).

That being said, I have had better luck with Blu-ray discs than with any other medium.  So far (about three years of seeing 2 movies per week) my impression is that DTS Master is marvelous almost every time. 

Edited by garyrc
  • Like 1

The DTS master of Star Wars was pretty awesome.

Agree.

The Force Awakens had a tremendous mix on Blu-ray.  Dialog was super clear (better than at the theater) and the music was dynamic, matching the action and had plenty of low end grunt for those of you who live for that stuff.