Very 5 yr old question

The whole reason for this post is,-----    years ago I had this Yamaha receiver feeding a pair of LaScalas, and it was good.

But then, I replaced it with a pair of Adcom  300 watt monos, and Adcom pre.

MUCH more chest hitting.

That was very able to make  the woofers violently  slap (overexcurse sp?) if I went too stupid  nuts on the volume.

I know all about SPL, differing time exposures,permanent  hearing loss, etc.  Thank you.

So now I want to regain that with a bigger amp, but needing to keep costs LOW, wondering if I can control it w the old Yamaha.

So that's the whole story.

I don't listen for long periods of time, but I LOVE that "fix" of like just one dynamic song at very high volume, I want to feel those drums in my belly and chest  like I'm in the bleachers at an NHRA meet.

Lars

OK, so I see a few options in this this thread here to feed a big amp, possibly like Crown K2.

Of course, first, get a separate normal Pre amp. $ I don't have.

Then, not in any order, Headphone out w wye splitter to two RCA's.  

Speaker outputs  to attenuator like the previous in thread  Ebay example for like $7,

Shitt passive control (cheap, but I lose my "tone" functions that I want to retain)

Possibly I missed any other option.

So what is best bang for the buck??      lars

Not sure about the answer to the question, but I bought (and still have) a Yamaha R8 in 1985 - that's 31 years ago! So I guess it is a 31 year old question  :).  I have the manual somewhere.  I will try to find it and research the question.

BTW the R8 is not a bad receiver (85 WPC).  I use one to power the front mains and another for the front center (one channel) for my HT (all Cornwalls).  I have powered Lascalas with the R8 and while not as good as say an HK Twin Amp integrated amp, it is not a bad sounding solution for an integrated amp.

Somebody please comment - I live in the Woods and have NO ability to audition other systems - Even though my speakers are "high sensitivity",

What will I gain from a majorly higher wattage amp?

Won't I get way more "punch"???

Lars

I think,I know about,  maybe missed something,  wrong, of feeding the highly sensitive Klipsch Heritages and "clones"  (that I think I kind of have) with low wattages.

But I want it to hurt, like enough to change my heart rythim.

Am I nuts?   Lars

From your almost 6 year old article.

Quote:  When it comes to adding professional gear to a home audio system, the fly in the ointment is their vastly different signal rangesicon1.png. The mean operating signal level of pro gear is +4 dBu, while the average for consumer equipment is -10 dBV. The dbV and dBu values aren’t readily interchangeable, but they can be converted to a common standard, Vrms. The consumer -10 dBV translates to 0.316 Vrms, while the professional +4 dBu translates to 1.228 Vrms. So you can see that the professional signal reference is over four times higher than the consumer. In real world use this translates to a difference of 12-14 dB (depending on which information source you trust).

Since consumer and pro equipment have such a tremendous difference in average signal levels, it should be immediately obvious that the chance of achieving a textbook pro-audio-styled gain structure in a mixed system is nil. Nevertheless, a cadre of home audio enthusiasts presumes (beyond reason) that a paradigmatic gain structure is attainable in a mixed system. It merely requires keeping signal levels as high as possible throughout the signal chain. This, we are told, is the way to optimize dynamic range and signal : End quote

An art cleanbox will provide pro electronics with the voltage required to drive it to maximum output when using consumer level electronics to drive them.  Heck Dean, even you used a QSC amp to drove your RF-7's.  Currently I'm using 4 QSC amps and one Behringer amp in my HT with a consumer pre-pro with no issues.

I tried a lot of different things over the years -- some were better than others. Things that sound better than others are better than things that don't. :)

Just because the information is six years old doesn't mean it's false. You can hook a mishmash of gear together and make it work, but that doesn't mean it represents the ideal situation, or will contribute to the best 2-channel sound one can afford.

The Cleanbox was part of a failed experiment. It really wasn't all that clean, and I eventually ran the QSC straight up using just the gain controls. This was around the time that I started listening at much lower levels - and I finally dumped the setup.

If you want loud, clean and musical - you better be ready to pony up the dough. Half *** measures aren't going to get it done.

Edited by Deang

You should have no problem feeding your K2 from the headphone jack. You will still have a volume control that way. Those speaker level to line level thingys are cheeseball POS that I would not want in my system. YMMV. The K2 has a sensitivity switch on the back and gain controls on the front. Don't be shy about adjusting either one.

I guess, silly me, I am still looking for substantiation or oppossite of ------ If the huge amp will give me that "NHRA" belly turning feel that a smaller amp will not.

Ya, I know Heritage, and I guess my rig, are high sensitivity, so we're already ahead.

Still, folks talk about brief "headroom " capability.

This may be, in laypersons limitidly educated terms, what I'm talkin about ??   Lars