Mixing Impedence

It's about that time of year when I'm thinking about outdoors.

With that being said, I'm examining some options for outdoor speakers, I want 4 in total, two of them are going to be courtesy of some car speakers in their own enclosure, the other two I was looking at Klipsch initially, but there are some Emotiva ones that are smokin' awesome in deals.

The problem is, this will be running off an amp in the house which is running 8 ohm speakers (actually, it'll be the garage unit). The speakers I'm looking at are 4 ohm. Is there a problem with running these on the same amp? Is there anything special I need to do with these to make sure I don't damage the amp or the speakers? I ran 6 ohm speakers in a mix with 8 ohm speakers in the past with no issues, but these I feel are maybe a little different?

Thoughts?

I run a pair of 8 Ohm speakers with a single 4 Ohm center using a 2013 Onk 717 AVR.  No problems.

My understanding is running 4 Ohm speakers can make the AVR or amp run hotter, but most modern AVR's can handle the load.

• Moderators

It's about that time of year when I'm thinking about outdoors.With that being said, I'm examining some options for outdoor speakers, I want 4 in total, two of them are going to be courtesy of some car speakers in their own enclosure, the other two I was looking at Klipsch initially, but there are some Emotiva ones that are smokin' awesome in deals.The problem is, this will be running off an amp in the house which is running 8 ohm speakers (actually, it'll be the garage unit). The speakers I'm looking at are 4 ohm. Is there a problem with running these on the same amp? Is there anything special I need to do with these to make sure I don't damage the amp or the speakers? I ran 6 ohm speakers in a mix with 8 ohm speakers in the past with no issues, but these I feel are maybe a little different?Thoughts?

Yes, you get a passive speaker multiple switch box and you avoid any problems.

I will look to see if I can post what I am talking about.

Travis

I don't think most modern day AVR's can handle 4 Ohm loads--

How loud will you be playing these speakers and what are you using.

Even with my H-K--I'd be careful about driving 4 Ohm Speakers--HEAT

I though about a set of Maggies but they are a constant 4 Ohm Load

and I might need a 4 Ohm Capable Amp.

Edited by rebuy

A Yamaha RX-V730 will be powering the speakers. These will be running only when multi-channel stereo is selected and only need to be loud enough to push sound onto the deck. Maybe a 10'x20' open space?