Automobile tweeters

Trying to help a friend out. He needs a simple crossover for some tweeters in his car. High pass. Any suggestions on what frequency a car tweeter high pass crossover needs to be? Perhaps a link?

Thanks,

Matt

What car or what tweeter?

Some cars are multi-amped and use an electronic crossover. (or pretend to be electronic - built in).

• Like 1

Most car audio system 2-way passive networks cross the tweeter at 2500Hz.  I have some two way passive networks kicking around.  Some by Orion and a/d/s let me know and I can send you a set for shipping costs only. He should be crossing the woofer over as well to prevent frequencies lower than 80Hz to over task the mid bass units not just the tweeters even if the head unit has internal HF & LF filters.

If you want to go real simple typically a 2.2uf cap will do for most 1" soft dome tweeters.

Edited by Frzninvt
  • Like 1

Most car audio system 2-way passive networks cross the tweeter at 2500Hz. I have some two way passive networks kicking around. Some by Orion and a/d/s let me know and I can send you a set for shipping costs only. If you want to go real simple typically a 2.2uf cap will do for most 1" soft dome tweeters.

Awesome, "Frzninvt" :emotion-21:

My friend is running a very large amp and did not know he needed to cross his tweeters.  As expected, they blew immediately.  Let me get a little more info from my buddy and I'll get back with you.

Much appreciated,

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

all cars are different. It could be anything.. Its like shooting in the dark with a blindfold. We need a little bit more info..

Don't you think you are exaggerating just a tad?  :P  (I love this Star Trek quote from Scotty)

"...it's like trying to hit a bullet, with a smaller bullet, whilst wearing a blindfold, riding a horse."

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

A single cap is a first order hpf and -6db per octave. If your buddy has big amps, this might not be enough to protect the tweeters. I reckon it depends a lot on the tweeters.  I've been there twice. Fortunately, my JL dealer covered them as defective... :)

Here are the numbers with a 2.5k first order:

Hz / dB

2500 -3
1250 -9
625 -15
312 -21
156 -27
78 -33

edit: Here is the direct link to the 12volt site deang mentioned above:

The HPF diagram is here, and you will be using the C4, C5, L5 for a ~2500Hz - 18dB HPF. 

The 3rd order slope would be:
Hz / dB
2500 -3
1250 -21
625 -39
312 -57
156 -75
78 -93
Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

My friend is running a very large amp and did not know he needed to cross his tweeters.  As expected, they blew immediately.

He just bought two separate tweeters and installed them as a stand-alone solution with no crossover?

The easiest thing to do in situations like this is buy a matched set of separates and replace the woofer at the same time, they come with a proper crossover, not just a cheap capacitor.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

My friend is running a very large amp and did not know he needed to cross his tweeters.  As expected, they blew immediately.

He just bought two separate tweeters and installed them as a stand-alone solution with no crossover?

The easiest thing to do in situations like this is buy a matched set of separates and replace the woofer at the same time, they come with a proper crossover, not just a cheap capacitor.

I agree with that wholeheartedly.

These are great units, though a bit pricey.

http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-speakers-c2-component-systems

• Like 1

I thought that there was a lot of "phasing" between the rights, lefts, and rears for auto systems to sound right.

As for rights and lefts... I've heard systems with no DSP/delay magic where voices and drums seemed to come from right in front of you in the middle of the dash just like a nicely imaged home system would sound. Of course he also won IASCA nationals, not all will sound anywhere near that nice. Afterwards, most of his equipment went into my car since we drove the same thing. :) Anyway, angles and center channels go a long way. Yes, center channels in vehicles.

As for the rears, kids nowadays have access to cheap DSP's that let you do this easily, but realistically you just don't need much. If you turn them down and only use them for rear fill it just doesn't matter much. When I was winning trophies I didn't even have full range speakers in the rear, only midbass.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 2

Bossman, on 05 Jun 2016 - 9:36 PM, said: all cars are different. It could be anything.. Its like shooting in the dark with a blindfold. We need a little bit more info.. Don't you think you are exaggerating just a tad?    (I love this Star Trek quote from Scotty)   "...it's like trying to hit a bullet, with a smaller bullet, whilst wearing a blindfold, riding a horse."

Looks like Scotty knows what I'm talking about. Exaggerating a little?.. yeah maybe a little. :)  

• Like 1