Car you will own, may own, never own

mustang guy

Ride along with Shawn Langdon as he does a quarter mile in 3.77 seconds and reaches 317 MPH. You see what he sees. It makes a rocket look slow, IMO:

That's actually 1000 ft. They changed from 1/4 mile to 1000 feet in 2008.

Ride along with Shawn Langdon as he does a quarter mile in 3.77 seconds and reaches 317 MPH. You see what he sees. It makes a rocket look slow, IMO:

That's actually 1000 ft. They changed from 1/4 mile to 1000 feet in 2008.

I didn't know that. I wonder how fast he would have been going with an extra 320 ft on the throttle. 400? 

I thought the video was cool because it gave the perspective of the driver. Pretty exciting stuff!

I didn't know that. I wonder how fast he would have been going with an extra 320 ft on the throttle. 400?

Probably not much faster. The cars, whether 1/4 mile or 1000 foot, are set up right on the edge of disaster for their respective distances. Try to run a 1000 ft car for an extra 320 and it will probably break in a most spectacular fashion.

I've always wanted to be the 500hp club or close to it.

In the meantime I hope one day to own a Lexus LC 500. Now if Lexus came out with the LC 500 convertible version I'd be all over that and at a mad 467 HP that's close enough for me. No plans for it now though.

Zoom zoom baby.

post-63400-0-70060000-1468920169_thumb.j

post-63400-0-42300000-1468920713_thumb.j

Edited by Rxonmymind

The top fuel cars were going too fast. Scott Kalitta's death in a funny car prompted several changes, including the switch to 1000 feet. Such luminaries as Don Garlits and Kenny Bernstein were among those supporting the changes.

IMO, drag racing is not as good as it used to be, but I'm an old fart. I spent many a weekend at US 131 Dragway in Martin, MI. I saw all the big names, such as "Big Daddy" Don Garlits, Shirley Muldowney, Connie Kalitta, Don Prudhome, "Dyno" Don Nicholson, Arnie "The Farmer" Beswick and all the rest. Watching Garlits turn the first sub 7 second quarter at Martin was entertaining, but I really preferred the matchups in the higher stock classes.

Almost every week a black 64 427 Ford Galaxie would be in the finals against a red 65 Olds 442. They would take turns winning in high 11 second runs. The cars and drivers were well matched. The competition was exciting. That kind of drag racing died long ago.

Today many modern street cars are faster. Drag strips have "tuner" days. But it's not like the days when the radio blasted, "SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY .. . see Tom The Mongoose McCewen go against Don The Snake Prudhomme. See TV Tommy Ivo's Buick powered four engine four wheel drive dragster at beautiful U.S. 131 Dragway."

post-6832-0-26940000-1468932314_thumb.jp

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 2

Today many modern street cars are faster.

Steven St. Croix said it best; something to the effect of, "Yes, today's cars really are faster [than the old muscle cars]. But they have absolutely no soul."

• Like 1

It's not what Honda motor but how many Honda motors. Ten or eleven Accord motors might do it - but doubtful.

Your estimate is a bit off.   :)

It t would take 44 of the 252 HP Accord V6 engines to make the 11,000 HP of that car.

It would take 13 of the 850 HP NASCAR engines.

Steven St. Croix said it best; something to the effect of, "Yes, today's cars really are faster [than the old muscle cars]. But they have absolutely no soul."

Yes, but they also have better brakes.   :)

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

A top fuel dragster weighs 2,320 LBS. A2016 V6 Accord weighs 3,605 and a Winston Cup NASCAR weighs 3,250.

Power to weight ratio:

Top fuel dragster    4.74 to 1

Honda Accord V6:    0.7 to 1

NASCAR:    0.26 to 1

Edited by mustang guy

That may very well be true, on both counts. My friend who owns a really nice 1965 GTO Tri-power 4-speed and I had a little fun a while back testing his Goat against my '15 Challenger with the 6.4L 392 Hemi w/8 speed auto. I was so far ahead of him he stopped running early in his third gear. Keep in mind the Dodge is a big heavy pig but with nearly 500hp and a paddle shift auto that shifts in milliseconds it was no contest from the start. While it may not have "soul" when it's going through the gears with manual shift and the active exhaust is howling it stirs my soul.

That may very well be true, on both counts. My friend who owns a really nice 1965 GTO Tri-power 4-speed and I had a little fun a while back testing his Goat against my '15 Challenger with the 6.4L 392 Hemi w/8 speed auto. I was so far ahead of him he stopped running early in his third gear. Keep in mind the Dodge is a big heavy pig but with nearly 500hp and a paddle shift auto that shifts in milliseconds it was no contest from the start. While it may not have "soul" when it's going through the gears with manual shift and the active exhaust is howling it stirs my soul.

An exhaust can really make the difference! 

Take your Challenger out and line up against a new Tesla in ludicrous mode. It is as quiet as a golf cart and as fast as a rocket. Passengers go full Tourettes when those things launch. The Tesla is to the modern muscle car what the modern muscle car is to the old muscle car. If you think a modern muscle car has no soul, then race a Tesla.

How about some Tesla Tourettes:

Go to about 1:57 in this vid to have a laugh

This is funny too:

Edited by mustang guy