Kg, klf, etc

dtr20

So you had the original kg line 1,2,3,4, then you had the replacement kg line 1.2,2.2,3.2,4.2,5.2, then replaced again .5,1.5,2.5,3.5,4.5,5.5, and then kind of replaced by the klf line klf 10, klf 20, klf 30. What replaced this type of speaker after that? Was it the reference line? For some reason I thought the reference speakers were out the same time as the klf speakers. I don't think I have really heard any reference speakers. How do they compare to the lines listed above, more specifically kg5.2, kg5.5, and all the klf speakers? I have a pair of kg5.2, kg5.5, and klf 10 that I will be doing an A+B+C comparison on hopefully soon.

2 hours ago, dtr20 said:

So you had the original kg line 1,2,3,4, then you had the replacement kg line 1.2,2.2,3.2,4.2,5.2, then replaced again .5,1.5,2.5,3.5,4.5,5.5, and then kind of replaced by the klf line klf 10, klf 20, klf 30. What replaced this type of speaker after that? Was it the reference line? For some reason I thought the reference speakers were out the same time as the klf speakers. I don't think I have really heard any reference speakers. How do they compare to the lines listed above, more specifically kg5.2, kg5.5, and all the klf speakers? I have a pair of kg5.2, kg5.5, and klf 10 that I will be doing an A+B+C comparison on hopefully soon.

I have owned  the 3.2,4,4.2, 4.5,5.2 and the5.5 in the KG line and I have owned the KLF 20s and to be honest, the KLF 20s were the best, to my ears.

I felt there was no comparison to the KG series. I do like the KG series of speakers, but the KLF 20s were in a whole other league.

I have the KG 5.2s and Reference RP-280Fs. I haven't done a head to head yet, but I find that the RP-280F is better for a wider scope of material. The KG 5.2 sounds bright to me, to my ear it's better as a home theater speaker. I currently have the KG 5.2s set up next to my Heresies and I use the KGs for The Legend of Zelda because their pronounced treble makes for engaging location sound. The Heresies, I use for everything else.

3 hours ago, tom b. 57 said:

I have owned  the 3.2,4,4.2, 4.5,5.2 and the5.5 in the KG line and I have owned the KLF 20s and to be honest, the KLF 20s were the best, to my ears.

I felt there was no comparison to the KG series. I do like the KG series of speakers, but the KLF 20s were in a whole other league.

I have the klf10, klf20, and the klf30, I love my klf20's, but they can't compare to my klf30's. I'm just having fun picking up these older speakers. They have sine really good sound

• Like 1

CF line came just before the KLF line (thank you for the time correction  SWL and for checking DTR20). KG are not in the same performance level as the KLF or the CF line or the reference either. If you like the KG5.2 and the KG5.5 then you will love the CF3 and CF4. The KLF line very often have adhesive problems on the front and rear baffles which is a PITA but they are worth fixing but the two way CF are very good they have the largest wide band horn of ANY klipsch home loudspeaker and with horns larger is better. You would need to make the jump to the K510 to make an improvement it is a little bit larger and it has a two inch throat so you are jumping up to large format drivers a jump you will never regret. What are you looking for? Regards moray james.

Edited by moray james
date correction
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, hogwylde09 said:

Well, dang. I passed on a great deal then. KLF-30's with Crites upgrades. Because I read here on the forums, that the Cornwall II were the better choice. As far as bass extension and sheer power. Still think I am holding out for Heritage though.

a pair of twelve inch woofers will push much more air than a single fifteen inch woofer can. The KLF30 has a very nice mid horn, a CF4 would be a step up again to an even better horn. For the size they are tough to better.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, moray james said:

What are you looking for? Regards moray james.

I already have the entire klf line. I've repaired the front panels on klf 30s a couple of times. I love my klf 30s. I'm not really looking to upgrade, just interested in learning more of the klipsch timetable of the different lines. I've never heard the cf line. I am curious to hear them, although I've never understood the horn being so low.

3 minutes ago, moray james said:

suggest you look into some of the Klipsch Pro line of speakers with large format drivers. lower distortion higher efficiency should give you a thrill. jube with a K402 will get the heart pumping.

My wife is a saint with this hobby, but a jube would be an extremely hard sell. The only big upgrade she might allow at this point would be klipschorns.

31 minutes ago, dtr20 said:

My wife is a saint with this hobby, but a jube would be an extremely hard sell. The only big upgrade she might allow at this point would be klipschorns.

if you can consider a khorn you could also consider a set or corner mount DDB (dual Cornwall reflex loaded K33) if you are into building your own cabinets. Regards moray james.