The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
jason str

Type A 4500 question

Picked up a set of 3636 Autotransformers from Bob Crites last week and need to know what taps to use for the type A 4500 crossover.

I called Bob this morning but he was out, both phone batteries are totally dead now but would like to get started.

My parts were in stock and arrived faster than Jimmy John's subs. :emotion-21:

• Like 1

Jason, I hate to tell you this at this late point in time in in your construction but I changed the 13 µF To a 6.8 µF And moved the tap from 4 to 3 on my La Scala crossovers, and it made a big difference in the smoothness of the mid range.

• Like 1

I have a couple of 6.8 µF caps if you want them, absolutely no charge. Just p.m. me your address

They are Dayton 1% caps.
  • Like 1

Thank you for the offer Jim but i have a set of those here already.

Going for the stock taps first, if I'm not happy with it i may try your suggestion.

2 hours ago, ricktate said:

Looooking good there ..... What you going to put them into ?

Thank you.

A set of empty LaScala cabinets i picked up for $100 that I;m refurbishing for myself.

That's what I paid for mine, too. I have a feeling you will be done before me and I have had mine for about five years. It's all looking good, Jason. I have all the parts at this point, but am still filing out the horns to get rid of the ridges. Still have to finish the mods on the cabs as well. Still trying to decide if I will front mount the k-400 horns...

Bruce

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Marvel said:

That's what I paid for mine, too. I have a feeling you will be done before me and I have had mine for about five years. It's all looking good, Jason. I have all the parts at this point, but am still filing out the horns to get rid of the ridges. Still have to finish the mods on the cabs as well. Still trying to decide if I will front mount the k-400 horns...

Bruce

Thank you Bruce.

I have one nearly stripped down for finish and have yet to get to the other. Luckily they are in pretty good shape so no major task really.

Going to brace the bass bin, no grille so it will go quickly.

Why would you want to mount the K-400 to the front ? Outdoor use maybe ?

Nicely done! I don't even have the connections labeled on mine. When I put mine back together I will have to get out the schematic, lol.

As to front mounting the K400, it should project cleaner without the 3/4 inch lip. I'm sure it's been debated. Of course, it will add more to the timing discontinuity between the woofer and mid, even if only about an inch.

Are you painting yours?

Bruce

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Nicely done! I don't even have the connections labeled on mine. When I put mine back together I will have to get out the schematic, lol.

As to front mounting the K400, it should project cleaner without the 3/4 inch lip. I'm sure it's been debated. Of course, it will add more to the timing discontinuity between the woofer and mid, even if only about an inch.

Are you painting yours?

Bruce

I will make due without the fancy labeled connection plate.

You can always trim the K-400 opening and router a 45 all the way around with it rear mounted.

Just going a shade lighter with the finish, laser tags came with them but are removed for safe keeping.

018.JPG

I ended up dropping the squawker down to the #3 tap and removing the 6.2 uF capacitor to drop down the midrange 3 dB but now find output just a bit too low and it does make the bass bins and tweets sound a bit hot with the modification as well.

What is the best way to add 1dB or so back to the squawker to balance out these La Scala's once and for all.

3 hours ago, jason str said:

What is the best way to add 1dB or so back to the squawker to balance out these La Scala's once and for all.

I'm not the expert and I couldn't even hazard a guess.  I would offer that I'm not sure if you add 1db to the mid range you would hear a difference.  It is my impression that it takes a 3db change to be able to hear a difference.

I am following what you are doing because I have some Khorns with AA's that will need updated at some point.  Do I build some new ones from scratch?  Do I build A, AA or the A/4500 like you are doing?  These are some of the questions I don't have answers to.  It seems like I change my mind every time I see a post on the subject.

• Like 1