Klipsch RSW 15 vs Klipsch R-115 better deal?

JeffKKlipsch

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and have been starting my Klipsch obsession over the past few months. Through craigslist I've picked up the following system and looking to upgrade my sub to have more volume to match the floorstanding and center channel and also hit the lower range so you can feel it more during movies. 

Klipsch RF-63's

Klipsch RC-64

Klipsch RB-61's (use for surrounds) 

I currently have a Klipsch R-12SW

I'm debating between a used Klipsch RSW-15 advertised for $600 local pick up an hour from me, and can try to talk him down to $500 or buying a new open box R-115 for $650 deliver included. 

Based on research the RSW was more expensive when it was new and may be more "musical" and potentially the R-115 has better qualities for Home Theater. My question simply put is with price relatively equal does the RSW-15 significantly beat the R-115 to justify buying a much older used sub? 

Eventually I'd like to add some true surrounds in for 7.1 and also when I move consider going to a 7.2 purchasing a second sub. Also considering Atmos as well which would then be 9.1 or 9.2

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts on the Subs and what you would do! Thank you in advance to anyone taking time to respond. 

IbizaFlame, thanks for the quick response. What makes the difference between the RSW-15 and the newer counterpart? Assuming simply higher quality components and construction. I've seen Youthman's home theater setup and it looks awesome! It seems like all of the speakers have improved in quality with the recent lineup however the subwoofers have gone down in quality compared to the RSW and also the RT line. I looked at the RT-12D. The RT-12 seems to be much harder to find and still more expensive than the RSW-15. 

I'm not sure I'd say exactly that they're of lesser quality.  The RSW line tended to use more beefy amplification, and as such had a bit more oomph.  The RT line I BELIEVE either had dual active drivers and a single passive, or the opposite coupled with a digital BASH amp.  That made it highly sought after, and still does.  The RSW-10D uses a digital BASH as well, and it is also fairly well sought after.

I have a bias against Gen 3-5 Reference gear.  I stuck mainly in 1 and 2, preferring the sound of that generation.  I exclude the RB-75 and the RP-160M from my conditions only.

The R-115SW uses a front loaded slot port as well vs. a passive radiator.  The ladder of which I tend to feel provides a more even distribution of sound, but again...that's just me.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JeffKKlipsch said:

IbizaFlame, thanks for the quick response. What makes the difference between the RSW-15 and the newer counterpart? Assuming simply higher quality components and construction. I've seen Youthman's home theater setup and it looks awesome! It seems like all of the speakers have improved in quality with the recent lineup however the subwoofers have gone down in quality compared to the RSW and also the RT line. I looked at the RT-12D. The RT-12 seems to be much harder to find and still more expensive than the RSW-15. 

The new sub is decent but, the old RSW could output more power for dynamic swings.  Pro's of new vs old sub, the new sub will have a warranty and amp issues can popup in old subs.  Subs alone are only part of the picture, room size, listening habits, music vs movies, ect.

• Like 2

I'd go with the RSW-15. That being said, as mentioned if the RSW line is ageing and if the r115sw has a warranty that might offer you some piece of mind. If it doesn't have a warranty and you can talk the guy down a bit, then I'd keep a little extra aside for the amp repair if it ever needs it. I had the amp on my RSW-12 go out, but I paid to have it repaired as I prefer the sound (and looks) of this sub.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fizik said:

I'd go with the RSW-15. That being said, as mentioned if the RSW line is ageing and if the r115sw has a warranty that might offer you some piece of mind. If it doesn't have a warranty and you can talk the guy down a bit, then I'd keep a little extra aside for the amp repair if it ever needs it. I had the amp on my RSW-12 go out, but I paid to have it repaired as I prefer the sound (and looks) of this sub.

What did it cost to get it repaired? I do a lot of DIY in other areas so may be up to working on the sub if needed. (Currently work on a Nissan Xterra offroad mods and car sound system, build furniture, etc so eventually would like to get into it with audio also)

I do like the RSW look as well, the full 15 inch copper drive almost seems a bit much. Plus with the 63's, 64, and 61's they are all 6.5inch copper and I think that looks good with the RSW actually. 

31 minutes ago, Fizik said:

A DIY 18" would also be an option, if you're handy and feel up to building a subwoofer for about the same budget you're currently looking at.

Would love to DIY a few different speakers in the future. Would like to build a whole HT setup with a projector, hang the surrounds and rears on the wall, etc when I move. Don't currently have the space for duel 18's! But I can dream for now. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JeffKKlipsch said:

Would love to DIY a few different speakers in the future. Would like to build a whole HT setup with a projector, hang the surrounds and rears on the wall, etc when I move. Don't currently have the space for duel 18's! But I can dream for now. 

you said you build furniture which means you can build a sub. if you can fit a single rsw-15 or a r-115 then you can fit a single 18" cabinet no problem. you can get the most performance from diy subs period. you could do a single 18 and but a powerful amp that will run two then down the road you just add the other sub and you already have the power needed for it. 

as far as between the two subs mentioned. the rsw-15 is MOST likely the better of the two however they are getting older. so that needs to be taken into consideration. as far as the open box deal. skip it. I'm gonna send you a pm regarding that. check your messages. 

• Like 1

I also say go for the RSW15 between the two subs mentioned.  Based on room size and placement, the RSW15 can excel very well for HT and does excel for music.  The midbass punch is an experience you have to hear for yourself.  Amp failure could be a potential setback in the future but from my understanding, repairs/replacement are affordable.

Bill

• Like 1

I can argue the RSW-15 which I recently had one of, the 115SW, or DIY.  It really comes down to what you want.  You need to hear an RSW if possible, or at least go hear the 115SW in a store to compare to the RSW you might go visit at someone's home.  

RSW-15 is a classy sub, looks great, considered to be one of if not the top Klipsch-made consumer sub ever.  That's saying a lot.  Resale value is very high, assuming you keep it in good shape.

R-115SW is the current top dog at Klipsch, getting excellent reviews here and elsewhere such as AVSForum -- not a small thing.  You get a warranty, specs that match performance (see a few threads in our subwoofer sub-forum) and a very reasonable price if you purchase it using the tips from the guys and gals here.  Resale values are currently very high still, even if you own it a year or two you can get much or most of your money back if you keep them pristine and keep the boxes.  

DIY is another animal.  It requires either some work - or better yet, if you're not interested in the work, finding someone to build them for you (usually easy) -- or someone who already has some built but is willing to sell them.  Why do this?  Well you get much more for your money, especially once you go beyond just 1 sub.   The simplest and most key thing to understand about DIY is this -- we build DIY subs because most of the big box companies including Klipsch design their subs with aesthetics foremost in mind -- performance is important, but secondary to how well it well look and it's size in an average room.  Compromise is usually the size of the enclosure, limiting performance.  The 115SW however is beyond that typical sub.  Those would be more like the 110 or 112 or their lesser counterparts, the 10 or 12sw

Listen, consider, purchase, and if not satisfied, buy something else.  Don't worry about it, have fun with it, and buy whichever is on your mind the most. 

• Like 1

I am the current owner of a R-115SW, and I love it.  I has great power and clarity.  Now, having said that, I have 0 experience with the RSW, so the other member's input matters greatly.  But I can say, in my large room, one R-115SW shakes the room, yet is very clear.  Not just powerful.  I am into high quality master music via DSD and am using a few other members' input to get my vinyl going.  Thus far, my R-115SW has been very clear when bass transitions in my Jazz music occur.  It is capable of providing powerful sound without being 'boomy' or obtrusive. 

Just wanted to give you my 2 cents on the matter.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for the opinions and your help, got a message about a 115sw for a good price with warranty delivered to the door. Going to listen to one at the Crutchfield an hour from me. Want to have the Klipsch look for now. Will eventually do a diy when I have a larger house and build a whole setup. Curious if anyone does diy on tower speakers not just subs here. I have seen most diy on subs so far but haven't searched hard yet.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JeffKKlipsch said:

Thank you everyone for the opinions and your help, got a message about a 115sw for a good price with warranty delivered to the door. Going to listen to one at the Crutchfield an hour from me. Want to have the Klipsch look for now. Will eventually do a diy when I have a larger house and build a whole setup. Curious if anyone does diy on tower speakers not just subs here. I have seen most diy on subs so far but haven't searched hard yet.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If you ever on here on a computer look in my signature and you'll see three links. All build threads. I have a full diy theater in my living room. I'm probably one of ten people in this forum with a full diy theater. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Scrappydue said:

If you ever on here on a computer look in my signature and you'll see three links. All build threads. I have a full diy theater in my living room. I'm probably one of ten people in this forum with a full diy theater. 

DIY, oh yeah??!!!  I plugged all my own stuff in myself.  So haha.  LOL  J/K :D

15 hours ago, Scrappydue said:

only 10 people on this forum out of 27,872 members that have built their own theater

7 hours ago, Budman said:

only 10 people on this forum out of 27,872 members that have built their own theater

Maybe you didn't read my post correctly. DIY (as in speakers and subs) my living room is full of speakers and subs that I built myself. Get it now? 

Maybe be try reading the post I responded to before being a smartass yeah? The guy clearly asked if anyone has ever built their own towers, not just subs. 

• Like 1