Does anyone have a 2-channel multipurpose system?

AccessDenied

I keep hearing the term "multipurpose system" thrown around...

I have one room for everything.
In my opinion the room is sub-optimal... but it'll have to do!

14x19, basically a large sun-room addition but with 3/4inch ply behind drywall. There is a very large walkway to the room in the corner of the 19' wall, opening is probably 5' - 6' wide.
There are 5 large windows, a sliding glass door, and vaulted ceiling with fan. The windows and glass door all have thick fabric curtains.
The vaulted ceiling is centered to the room (dashed line in drawing). So the couch and viewing field doesn't fall directly underneath the ceiling's peak.

OK, here's an extremely ROUGH drawing of the room... Not to scale. The windows are very close to one another so the TV cannot go on the right 14' wall. I've considered that but it just won't work.

The TV has to stay where it is.

Can I get by with a 2-channel system here?

Chorus II?

I would be listening to music and watching movies/playing games through the same system..

Or should I relay this post to the HT threads for feedback on adding rears and center to the Chorus IIs?

Cheers!

IMG_20161004_114732.jpg

• Like 1

I use one room for both.  My signature shows what I'm using.  I do have another amp that I like for 2 ch. also.  A HT does not make the speakers not function for 2 ch.  Your 2 ch system can be used for TV/movies.  The biggest problem for that room is all the glass.  Some roll down blinds or similar may held.  Also, some plush frunishing for absorption.  Trial, error and experimentation may be in your future.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

I use one room for both.  My signature shows what I'm using.  I do have another amp that I like for 2 ch. also.  A HT does not make the speakers not function for 2 ch.  Your 2 ch system can be used for TV/movies.  The biggest problem for that room is all the glass.  Some roll down blinds or similar may held.  Also, some plush frunishing for absorption.  Trial, error and experimentation may be in your future.

Yes we have thick roll-down curtains and will be adding more to cut down on the glare as well.
We just had new saxony carpet installed. (thick and plush)
The couch is a microfiber, and the rest of the furniture I have made and is primarily pine cabinets/tables/etc.

So Chorus IIs would be worth the investment to try out as a 2-channel first?

8 minutes ago, Marvel said:

I would be tempted to put a small/short wall just to the left of the left speaker. Even only three feet into the room, to provide a corner...

Bruce

Highly doubt this would go over well with the spouse, and I can't imagine it would look very good either.  Sure, two corners are mostly desirable, but not always possible.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AccessDenied said:

IMG_20161004_114732.jpg

I see corners. Turn the couch 90 degrees clockwise, move the TV between the windows at the blue line, replace the AVR with Pro amps, place the RF7ii, FR83, CF4, Chorus II, KLF 30, Khorn, KP362, or... into the corners on each side of the TV, relegate the RB to the bedroom, kid's room, guest room, office, etc... or don't 

(EDIT) - cover, partially cover the windows,  or do whatever it takes to make a nice listening room - It's worth it.  

I'm single for a reason. B)

I'll try to post some pictures tonight or tomorrow of the actual room.
We're still moving in so nothing is really setup yet... Aside from the wallmount for TV and couch.

My wife does want some "leaning tower shelving" that lay flush against the wall on the TV side. (just google image it if you don't know what I mean...)
Maybe if I can build them out from the entrance to the room and the corner by the window, I can put the two tower speakers next to them and have pseudo corners created?

Would that help with the left speaker that otherwise would just be sitting out in the open?

I need help with this room!

haha

20 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

If your avr has room eq it will help with a lack of a corner.  I have a very similar issue in my living room and with calibration it's a non issue.

How do I find our if my AVR has that capability?
I have a Pioneer VSX 822. Lost the remote and ordered a new one so I really won't be able to do much with settings for another week until the new one comes in...