What Book Are You Reading?

Wolfbane

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2024 at 1:13 PM, Morgangon said:

Don't laugh, but I'm reading The Chronicles of Narnia right now.

It's about time. No laughter here.

And I would add, a bit easier to read compared to Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, which my mother gave to me in the '60s. I kept falling asleep in school and I stayed up many nights reading into the early morning.

To add to that bit of info, in 2005 I met a woman whose mother was English (father was an American), and as a teenager lived in England where her father worked. Her father passed away, but the family knew Tokien's, and afterwards, he would pick up her and her mother and take them to church.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2023 at 6:22 PM, Zen Traveler said:

20230903_181226.thumb.jpg.799184b72d96aab50c1f0717c67c3b13.jpgI have a fascination with the history in the 3 centuries surrounding 70 CE and how it relates to the Dead Sea Scrolls. I started a few months ago reading the Bible again using the 2 commentaries above and comparing. The "Harper Collins Study Bible" on the left is more scholarly oriented and I got for my birthday in June, while the "Jeremiah Study Bible" was given to me by a friend/student as a gift and has more of a sermon point of view. Ironically, both at the same time and not knowing about the other. I'm currently reading a fascinating American book called "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams. I like that this is a novel with humor, it is not as boring to read as I thought. Speaking of which, I was asked a week ago in college to come up with topics for narrative essays, I found https://papersowl.com/blog/narrative-essay-topics for this. But I think I’ll just write about this book and take something from it. I still have one more book, I’ll continue reading.

I usually joke when I say that I read the Bible and so on. I don’t know when I’ll get through it and want to read it.

Edited by stevenaughtonnsx11

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/19/2024 at 10:58 AM, stevenaughtonnsx11 said:

I usually joke when I say that I read the Bible and so on. I don’t know when I’ll get through it and want to read it.

Ha! You're not alone...It's not an easy book to read and a harder one to understand until you consider the time it was written. I highly recommend having a Bible Parallel with the 3 Synoptic Gospels for those studying the New Testament--really eye-opening, imo.