April Madness 2017

DizRotus

The latter Dave.

Tonight my Spartans play Nebraska in East Lansing.  If they lose, the dance is over.  If they win, the bubble does not yet burst and the 19 year NCAA tournament streak survives.   Frankly, if they can't beat the Cornhuskers in Breslin, they deserve the NIT.  My apologies to The Dude in advance for the slight to Nebraska.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wvu80 said:

So NC takes out Louisville 74-63, and right on cue, Villanova loses to Butler 74-66, opening up that 4th #1 seed.

Diz, are you really that smart, or did you just stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night? 

Yea Butler beat them twice this year. It's amazing when a small school like Butler can compete with the big guys. Watching a game at their gym is like walking back in time about 80 years.

Michigan State is holding steady with a 10th seed.  They just need to keep winning and they should be in.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

+++

I know it's way to early to do any serious speculating but if projected seedings hold, my WVU Mountaineers are projected to be in the West regional semis with Gonzaga.  WVU has a better than average chance of taking out the 'Zags with that game-long full court press. 

The press can be beat if a team does it the way the pros do, which is to give the ball to their best ball handler, clear the backcourt and let him advance the ball.  If you stop your dribble or go backwards, WVU has got you. 

WVU is national #1 in creating turnovers and making steals for good reason.

46 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Michigan State is holding steady with a 10th seed.  They just need to keep winning and they should be in.

Unfortunately, they have to play Wisconsin in East Lansing and Maryland on the road.  to "keep winning" might be more than this collection of freshman can accomplish.  Perhaps a disappointing season will be enough to convince Miles Bridges to pass up lottery pick $$$ to return for another season.  Then again, perhaps pigs will fly.

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

+++

I know it's way to early to do any serious speculating but if projected seedings hold, my WVU Mountaineers are projected to be in the West regional semis with Gonzaga.  WVU has a better than average chance of taking out the 'Zags with that game-long full court press. 

The press can be beat if a team does it the way the pros do, which is to give the ball to their best ball handler, clear the backcourt and let him advance the ball.  If you stop your dribble or go backwards, WVU has got you. 

WVU is national #1 in creating turnovers and making steals for good reason.

Dave, did I hear correctly that the WVU coach had a scare during a game recently? Dropped to his knees clutching his chest? I hope he is ok.

-- not Dave here but yes Bob Huggins, his heart defibulater? triggered inadvertently and put his heart out of rhythm. Went on to coach the remainder of the game. Step in to correct but I think I got the story right as Huggie explained it. Was watching the game as it happened, kind of scary. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, richieb said:

-- not Dave here but yes Bob Huggins, his heart defibulater? triggered inadvertently and put his heart out of rhythm. Went on to coach the remainder of the game. Step in to correct but I think I got the story right as Huggie explained it. Was watching the game as it happened, kind of scary. 

Thanks...I just heard a quick blip on the radio about that, glad he's ok.

42 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Dave, did I hear correctly that the WVU coach had a scare during a game recently? Dropped to his knees clutching his chest? I hope he is ok.

WVU was on ESPN Monday night vs Texas.  Huggins has a history of health problems and he did drop to his knees during a timeout just before halftime.  He later said his pacemaker went off.  He was interviewed coming out of the locker room and said he was fine and finished the game.  That appeared foolish to me. 

The WVU Med Center is about 3 minutes from the WVU Coliseum and he should have gone to get checked out.  He sent a bad message that a mere basketball game was more important than his health, or his life.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

You know, Huggins has had his challenges as a coach and a human being but I have always liked the guy. Hope his health allows him to continue pursuing his passion.

You are being very diplomatic, and I appreciate what you are saying.  Hugg's personal life history is well known and there is no reason to bring it up again.  He is also well known around Morgantown and I can assure you when he gets silly there is a bubble of people around him to support him.

When you are the center of a major sports program that generates millions of dollars, you are in the limelight all the time which brings its own pressures that most of us will never know. Huggs was a senior when I was a freshman at WVU, and I can see how his health problems have progressed.

It's the life of a celebrity, I guess.

• Like 2

Well, the Spartans took care of business tonight against the Huskers.  Even the friendly confines of The Breslin Center will not make Sunday's game against Wisconsin go as well.  If they beat the Badgers, I think their bubble will not burst and the 19 year NCAA  streak would continue.

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

State is playing really well today. Wisconsin looks dazed and confused.

Mich State 84-74 over Wis.  How about that, you Spartan fans were all concerned about nothing.  :P

When making Big Dance predictions The talking heads on ESPN all seem to agree that the in-conference record is all-important.  They say the Committee looks dimly on a team with a good record if they can't go at least .500 within the conference.  If that's true then the 10-6 Spartans look solid.

Nothing to worry about.  B)

• Like 2

That Northwestern victory over Michigan was exciting.  I can't help but root for Northwestern to get into the NCAA tournament for the first time in school history.

The Illini outlasted the Spartans.  Tum Tum Nairn is the last person you want to heave up a desperation shot.  The NCAA is probably still safe, but getting a double bye for the B1G tournament is looking doubtful.

The Michigan State vs Maryland game was exciting, but I didn't like the ending.

My assessment of North Carolina a few days back seems to be holding up.  The Tarheels have the pressure of being the team to beat.  They also have the talent and coaching to withstand that pressure.

• Like 1