April Madness 2017

DizRotus

On March 13, 2017 at 6:57 AM, DizRotus said:

This year Middle Tennesee is a 12 seed playing Minnesota, a 5 seed, in the first round.  It would not surprise me if the Blue Raiders got by the Gophers.

Last year Middle Tennessee was underrated as a 15 seed and MSU was overrated as a 2 seed.

i didn’t want to “like” your post; but, i have to give you props...you called this one.  i should have consulted you about my bracket.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

What an ending in the Vanderbilt/Northwestern game!  For those who missed it, ughhhh!

I missed it, so thanks for the link.  Vandy's player picked a bad time to go brain dead in a close game.

+++

My WVU Mountaineers did not look good in beating Bucknell.  Their next opponent Notre Dame did not look good in their 2 point win over #12 seed Princeton. 

Someone has to win the next stinker and then they will be done after a loss to whoever the regional semis opponent is, probably Gonzaga.

+++

Following Xavier's upset over Maryland in the 2017 NCAA tournament, only 3.5 percent of brackets remain perfect (653,905 out of 18,797,085).

It looks like the B1G conference did not deserve 7 teams in the tournament.  Minnesota and Maryland were both upset yesterday.  MSU, at a 9 seed, is the last B1G team to make the tournament.  There must be a lot of mid-major teams, with better records than MSU's 19-14, that feel cheated.

9 hours ago, DizRotus said:

It looks like the B1G conference did not deserve 7 teams in the tournament.  Minnesota and Maryland were both upset yesterday.  MSU, at a 9 seed, is the last B1G team to make the tournament.  There must be a lot of mid-major teams, with better records than MSU's 19-14, that feel cheated.

Michigan just beat Oklahoma State 91-90.  I would have picked OkSU to have won that.

3 hours ago, DizRotus said:

The MSU freshmen played well.  The B1G conference is now 5-2.

Agree, MSU looked solid where a lot of bigger seeds seemed to struggle.  They won by 20 against a pretty well regarded Miami team.  MSU has Kansas next and if Kansas takes MSU for granted this might be the upset of the tournament.

It's midnight on Friday with about three games going on, but all the higher seeds are on top.  I saw very few upsets, and no team yet that I would call a Cinderella.  Even though Michigan is an 11 seed I would have a hard time calling them a Cinderella.

+++

It looks like WVU gets the CBS game Noon Sat vs ND.

35 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

Has there even been a real upset so far? Maybe I missed it?

I'd call USC (a play-in team) defeating SMU, a 6 seed, the largest upset so far.  Nothing like MTSU's defeat of MSU last year, but an upset nonetheless.

The Mountaineers got off to a 10-0 start against ND.  I hope they do better with that start than Miami did yesterday.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

The Mountaineers advance to the sweet 16.  Now it's time to cheer for the Badgers.  On Wisconsin!

Back atcha!  Wis took out #1 and defending nat champ Villanova.  There's your upset of the tournament.

I thought the Badgers looked solid and played with confidence.  They played tough down the stretch, made their free throws and deserved to win. 

+++

Now watching Northwestern vs Gonzaga.  It's easy to root for NW in their first ever NCAA appearance.  I am not a big believer in the Zags.  In the NBA the record IS the record of how good you are, but in the NCAA a lot of wins doesn't always mean you are good.

This is a big-time game for NW, maybe their most important ever, national TV audience and all.  We'll see how they do.

+++

Edit:  First half and NW looks really tight, they can't buy a basket.  You can see they have some athletes but they don't have the poise or the shot selection skills of the Wisconsin team that played just before this game.

• Like 3