Klipsch forte 2 with bobs drivers

fluidcool

yes no leaks..  well ill just let them run for a while .. I'm not gonna be nervous about running them at a 100 watts then.. If they are rated for 150 should be ok . We will see if they break in or not. got 30 plus hours on them now.. In the mean time I'll rebuild the old ones  :)

• Like 1

I would think that thirty hours is a proper amount of time for break-in.  I would expect the stiffer woofers to need break-in, not the soft rubber types, but that is speaking in general, not a definitive statement.

I've not heard of Crites woofs having this problem.  I suggest at this point you double-check the parts numbers on the driver itself (not just the box) to confirm those are the proper drivers.

Yes, the stock gaskets are extremely thin and old. I make a habit out of replacing all the gaskets with gasket tape any time I get new to me older speakers. They are thicker, squishy, provide an excellent seal and its really cheap and easy to do. I re-do all the gaskets including the one on the terminal cup.

Just now, fluidcool said:

yea they are me and bob have had several conversations on the phone ..

Well, you've done your due diligence and they clearly are not performing as expected.  I'll bow out of the conversation at this point because I don't have any other insight or suggestions.

I will follow the thread  because I'd like to see how this gets resolved.  Good luck.

• Like 1

Are these what your woofers looked like? I think Mr.Crites' woofers are the same. I agree on checking the passive seals and making sure you didn't cross wire the woofers when you installed them. If I remember correctly, the woofers also have gaskets, did you replace them or were gaskets even there? BTW Simply Speakers is a good company to deal with.

Mark

2s3.jpg

Forte 2s.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

These are them here:

cw1230front_med.jpg

cw1230back_med.jpg

There's no reason those won't work. The surround is pretty much a standard design Klipsch has used for years. Gaskets or cross wired. And I've never heard anyone blow out a woofer before the tweeters fried, that in itself is impressive

Mark

36 minutes ago, ZEUS121996 said:

I've never heard anyone blow out a woofer before the tweeters fried, that in itself is impressive

Mark

My late uncle bought a complete stereo system from Magnolia Hi-fi back in the early '90's that consisted of a Carver rack system with a TFM-45 amplifier and a pair of original Klipsch forte's. He blew out a woofer three times before they finally traded his speakers in for the forte II models, which he ended up blowing one of those woofers too. Of course he liked to drink too much and play music at concert level volumes for extended periods of time so that didn't help.

I talked with the guys at Magnolia Hi-fi at the time and they told me it was a common problem and that they should have never sold such high powered amps with Klipsch speakers as a set.

• Like 1

A friend of mine had an old Harman Kardon amplifier fail catastrophically one day when he powered it up, I guess it just let out a full volume buzz through both of his original forte speakers. He said he yanked the cord out of the wall within a few seconds but that was enough to toast both woofers. Surprisingly none of the horns were damaged.. I had the woofers re-coned for him and they lasted a long time and sounded great. He did eventually wear one of those out though through "normal" use and had to have it re-coned again.

10 hours ago, jjptkd said:

My late uncle bought a complete stereo system from Magnolia Hi-fi back in the early '90's that consisted of a Carver rack system with a TFM-45 amplifier and a pair of original Klipsch forte's. He blew out a woofer three times before they finally traded his speakers in for the forte II models, which he ended up blowing one of those woofers too. Of course he liked to drink too much and play music at concert level volumes for extended periods of time so that didn't help.

I talked with the guys at Magnolia Hi-fi at the time and they told me it was a common problem and that they should have never sold such high powered amps with Klipsch speakers as a set.

sounds like me!!! drink too much play it loud every morning for 2 hours :)

• Like 1