Cleaning Grilles

The History Kid

After purchasing an RC-7 last month, I spent a good amount of time restoring it and fixing it up.  While the grille is in fair shape, there's a couple of stains on it.  They're fairly faint, but now that I know they're there it's bothersome.  A damp cloth didn't do anything nor did a windex dampened cloth.  Does anyone know of anything else I could try that wouldn't damage the material?

Thanks guys.

P.S. FAO: Zeus.

Bring on your jokes, sir. :ph34r:

I can't say for sure for your RC-7 grills but when I had my fortes, I put them in a bath of warm water with mild dishwashing liquid and let them soak for a couple of hours.  Boy did that water get brown.  Mine were not stained but just filthy so this may not work for your situation but it may be worth a try.

Bill

• Like 1

Pick up a can of automotive brake cleaner and test in an inconspicuous spot on the back first before doing anything on front, if it does not harm the material (chances are small) it works as an awesome cleaner for most fabrics.

It dries quickly and don't breathe the fumes.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Similar to Bill, any time I purchase used speakers,  One of the first things I do is  put the grills in the bathtub filled up with water and instead of using dish detergent I use laundry detergent.  Just make sure you don't do that with the older wooden grills

• Like 2

• Moderators

It is amazing how nasty the water turns just from dirt, sometimes smoke, dander from animals it's pretty disgusting but it's nice to know that your speaker grills not only look clean they actually have a nice smell to them because of the laundry detergent

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Youthman said:

Similar to Bill, any time I purchase used speakers,  One of the first things I do is  put the grills in the bathtub filled up with water and instead of using dish detergent I use laundry detergent.  Just make sure you don't do that with the older wooden grills

You could put them in your new hot tub:D

Similar to the tub or washer...

Send them to me.

I'll put them into my eight foot wide front bucket with copious amounts of Downy softener....  Plenty of room for them to have their own personal space!

I'll drive around the farm to get some work done which will gently agitate them (ok, sometimes violently agitate them)

I could even hang them from the back bucket to drip/dry for an extra fee.

and then I'll send them back

You will however, have to pardon any bugs, leaves or twigs that you might find on them.

How about it?

Hoe.jpg

• Like 1

Coytee, I would insist they stay...especially if they are big bugs.  I need to keep things on hand to prank the neighborhood children with anyway. :D:P

Sounds like the detergent option is the widely accepted method.  Did you guys blow dry them or something afterwards or air dry?