Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

3 minutes ago, billybob said:

You had said mono so, it seems mighty rare to me but, no expert. Maybe am not understanding, lol...

Where did you get the record? Thanks

A lot of early stones , Beatles , the doors , ect.. 

Were released initially in mono..... And it sound better. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, billybob said:

Well now, I knew that, and they are $$$ for nice ones. Fortunately I was brought up on mono/stereo.

Thanks Mike, lol... guess it was a twilight zone signpost up ahead...

'd have to agree. Someone smarter than me once wrote that most rock recordings are "multi-mono," not stereo. They're assembled on a mixing console, usually heavily manipulated, and there's usually no air or natural space around the instruments. Most of the time everything just comes at you from its discrete, isolated placement on the stereo spread with no acoustic interaction or room sound between the instruments. Are rock recordings capable of some amazing sounds -- yes, of course. Realistic, audiophile material? Most of the time, no. That's just not how it's usually recorded.

That said, I think the best sounding rock recordings tend to emphasize the vocalist. The DCC gold discs for Elvis Presley, Roy Orbison and Linda Ronstadt contain some spooky real vocals. Both Natalie Merchant's TIGERLILY and the BoDeans' HOME offer a very good live-band-in-the-room feel. The Cowboy Junkies' TRINITY SESSION is a legendary audiophile recording for a reason, recorded live around a single mic.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/audiophile-level-rock-albums.421128/page-3

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, billybob said:

You had said mono so, it seems mighty rare to me but, no expert. Maybe am not understanding, lol...

Where did you get the record? Thanks

I purchased it from a forum member here in OZ

This is is the exact one 

https://www.discogs.com/The-Jimi-Hendrix-Experience-Axis-Bold-As-Love/release/1486606

• Like 2

Understand the concept there Mike. Have several in my small collection. Some posted here.

Now mono sounding better, is a generalization to me. Preference is one thing versus another audio format. Generally would agree as before the analog video signal was scrambled, the analog at or above threshold, a down converted RF signal via satellite direct and a Sony or NEC monitor, is still superior, in some ways to some versus digital signals descrambled/scrambled and broadcast over a wifi or trunkline driven with inline amps. over miles of coverage area.

Even the qualities of one format versus another format, it can still come down to a matter of taste. Been letting my personal preferences dictate mine over time and, still deciding, lol...

Edited

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Full Range said:

I purchased it from a forum member here in OZ

This is is the exact one 

https://www.discogs.com/The-Jimi-Hendrix-Experience-Axis-Bold-As-Love/release/1486606

Did you say it was sealed? Haven't seen one stateside lately but will get a copy one day.  Remember it for it's artist's intrinsic value to me.

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, billybob said:

Did you say it was sealed? Haven't seen one stateside lately but will get a copy one day.  Remember it for it's artist's intrinsic value to me.

Thanks!

Yes it’s sealed and it’s the 200gr Classic Records release 

They are selling for about $250.00 AU plus +

Edit - Had a look at Discogs pricing - Used in GC - VG are about $50 US 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Full Range said:

Yes it’s sealed and it’s the 200gr Classic Records release 

They are selling for about $250.00 plus +

Well dang, it is more valuable then on their market versus the BS graphics one I sold on the e-bay...cool but, I will find another lp, thanks mate...

Looks like a keeper to me. lol

See you gave more info...yes, I can handle the lesser $$$

• Haha 1

On 4/26/2018 at 8:24 PM, Full Range said:

My Rush post above is a hint hint that with luck 3 UK 1st press Rush LPs may be coming my way ( fingers crossed ) 

1) Signals 
2) Moving Pictures 
3) A Farewell To Kings

I blame Mike with his Rush posts 
Have listened to all Rush albums - however in my opinion the 3 in the above list were to my liking and best based on my assessment sessions 

And on another update 
I have secured the Marillion B Sides LP 

• Like 2

Our good Ohio mailman rings the doorbell sometimes, that's nice with the house to myself for a couple of days. Starting off with the studio tracks, if the puck doesn't drop too early on me I'll get to the one I've been looking forward to.

Untitled.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Our good Ohio mailman rings the doorbell sometimes, that's nice with the house to myself for a couple of days. Starting off with the studio tracks, if the puck doesn't drop too early on me I'll get to the one I've been looking forward to.

Untitled.jpg

Your killing me.... I need some b.o.c.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

We ALL need a little BOC every now and then...

my favorite NYC band!

Unfortunately the LP has that dead sound... bleh

Agents of Fortune sounds good!

I was just looking for ... The 1979

Rock bill...mirrors tour... When I seen

Them on Sept 29, 79..

Can't find it.. But I did post it before..

• Like 3