Help with price of CD collection

tigerwoodKhorns

I just got back from buying some items from a person on Craigslist and he has a large collection of CD's, including redbook, SACD, MFSL, and other high def formats.  I am guessing several hundred titles, maybe more.  He will put together a list in the next few weeks.

All appear to be in very good condition.  Here is the bad part, the redbook CDs do not have cases but do have cover art and might have the back cover art (he needs to look).  So storing these in their cases is not going to work. 

The titles all look to be stuff that I like, classic rock blues and jazz.  Good titles so it is not a bunch of stuff that I do not like. 

What is this stuff worth?  He was saying $50 each for the MSFL, but a very quick search on ebay shows about half that amount.  He wanted $5 for the redbook CD's, but again, without a case I think that the amount is less. 

I am guessing that redbook CDs are about $2 each if no case and rear artwork if I pick and choose, it you buy them all it should be a wholesale lot price. 

I am not looking to buy to resell and not looking to rip anyone off, but if bought in bulk (as a whole collection) what would you expect to pay?  How about per title for the high def stuff and for the redbook stuff. 

One issue is that he paid full retail, so accepting a used price is somewhat difficult, but I just want to be sure that I understand what this is worth.  Obviously, if I buy it all I expect a pretty good discount over ebay or amazon. 

Thanks. 

That is what I was thinking.  And if I were to buy a collection, the price would need to have a deep discount.  Selling individual titles is just too much work so taking everything should reflect that.  I will not take the time to sell these off if I get them. 

I had actually mentioned $2 to $3 for redbooks.  The other thing is that they do not have the cases so that is a definite minus.  I like to have them in a rack and be able to flip through them and see the titles.  He has them in special books (nice ones I do admit) but I have never used these. 

22 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I just got back from buying some items from a person on Craigslist and he has a large collection of CD's, including redbook, SACD, MFSL, and other high def formats.  I am guessing several hundred titles, maybe more.  He will put together a list in the next few weeks.

All appear to be in very good condition.  Here is the bad part, the redbook CDs do not have cases but do have cover art and might have the back cover art (he needs to look).  So storing these in their cases is not going to work. 

The titles all look to be stuff that I like, classic rock blues and jazz.  Good titles so it is not a bunch of stuff that I do not like. 

What is this stuff worth?  He was saying $50 each for the MSFL, but a very quick search on ebay shows about half that amount.  He wanted $5 for the redbook CD's, but again, without a case I think that the amount is less. 

I am guessing that redbook CDs are about $2 each if no case and rear artwork if I pick and choose, it you buy them all it should be a wholesale lot price. 

I am not looking to buy to resell and not looking to rip anyone off, but if bought in bulk (as a whole collection) what would you expect to pay?  How about per title for the high def stuff and for the redbook stuff. 

One issue is that he paid full retail, so accepting a used price is somewhat difficult, but I just want to be sure that I understand what this is worth.  Obviously, if I buy it all I expect a pretty good discount over ebay or amazon. 

Thanks. 

https://www.discogs.com 

you can look up the info here.

and pricing on the cds, cassette , r2r,

and vinyl... 

Japan 24k gold cd

https://www.discogs.com/Pink-Floyd-Dark-Side-Of-The-Moon/release/8492605

USA 24k gold cd

https://www.discogs.com/Pink-Floyd-Dark-Side-Of-The-Moon/release/8246446

with ebay pricing....

- 20% for ebay and PayPal fees

would be the actual price the 

seller receives....

32 minutes ago, teaman said:

No idea on the high def stuff but the regular cds without cases I say $2-$3 apiece. I toss all of my artwork and cases and have all my discs in binders as well and I am pretty sure nobody else would want them in that scenario but me.

That is what I thought.  There is also the issue of a very large volume purchase.  I am thinking that there should be a big discount for a volume / take all purchase.  By big I would think about 50% off, certainly not 10% or something like that.  I just sold a bunch of vinyl and sold it very cheap because it was a volume sale. 

I have made several deals lately without negotiating the price as the prices were fair.  In dealing this this person, I like what I have bought (two transactions so far) but the prices have been  higher than they should be (except for a few items) and he seems insulted by any negotiation.  I think that he is used to buying at expensive places, so the prices seem very low to him even though they are rather high for this type of deal. 

I actually like the seller as he is a decent person, but I think that the deal will probably not happen as by the time we come up with a realistic price for a volume purchase, he will not accept it and I do not feel like trying to negotiate too much. 

So is there any opinion / consensus on the discount amount for a volume purchase?  If CD's are $2 or $3 and the MSFL is about $20 or $25 on average (ebay is in this range), what would a fair discount over this "retail" price be if there are 1,000 titles or so? 

I think your numbers are right on the money. Unfortunately a lot of sellers are in denial. I converted my CD collection to books a long time ago. It just takes up too much space. SACD's and special ones I keep in their case.

Everything is going digital. There's a lot of people getting rid of their physical collection. No one has the time to advertise, sell, and ship a large CD collection individually. They must be discounted heavily. Even though they're mostly your genre, I bet half of them you would never buy on your own. If the deal isn't right, I'd let it go. Let him try to sell it. Chances are he'll come crawling back after a few weeks of ridiculous offers lol. 

Ebay recommended this movie collection to me today. Like I said, a lot of sellers are in denial 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263141696665

16 hours ago, W27 said:

Ebay recommended this movie collection to me today. Like I said, a lot of sellers are in denial 

Wow. That's all this guy wants... is just a million dollars? I guess his career in the pawn shop business has really... aww never mind. What a dumb azz. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2017 at 5:05 PM, W27 said:

I think your numbers are right on the money. Unfortunately a lot of sellers are in denial. I converted my CD collection to books a long time ago. It just takes up too much space. SACD's and special ones I keep in their case.

Everything is going digital. There's a lot of people getting rid of their physical collection. No one has the time to advertise, sell, and ship a large CD collection individually. They must be discounted heavily. Even though they're mostly your genre, I bet half of them you would never buy on your own. If the deal isn't right, I'd let it go. Let him try to sell it. Chances are he'll come crawling back after a few weeks of ridiculous offers lol. 

OK, so I have more info. 

There are regular CD's. No cases or rear artwork.  Hundreds - so about $1 each in bulk sale. 

SACDs -

MOFI CD's

MOFI SACDs (didn't know there was such a thing). 

About 110 total of the above with cases and artwork. 

SACD's seem to be about $10 to $40 on ebay (more towards the bottom end from a quick look).  MOFi about $10 to $25 or so. 

So in a bulk sale, do you think that $1 ea for the cd collection and maybe $10 ea for the other stuff is a fair market bulk sale (take all of it low effort sale) price? 

I am not interested in reselling (way too much effort), but if a re-seller were to buy, this is a problematic collection as the cases and back artwork are gone on all of the CDs. 

I think that is too low.  I also can't take the time to sell these off.  Not enough time in the day anymore. 

In any event, he shot me a price and it is basically the full amount that these will sell for if sold individually on ebay or amazon, so we are way to far off on price to even think that a deal can be made. 

I think your price on the bulk of the CD's was fair and your price on the SACD's and MOFI was generous.  He should accept the SACD and MOFI offer... a one and done sale!  Depending on the titles I could see going to 2 bucks on the CD's that I really like but how many of them do you actually want?  How much do you wind up paying for the music you actually want?  I have stacks of CD's that are either duplicates or I don't want because of such purchases.  They are just sitting there in sleeves or on a spindle.