NO LONGER NEEDED: Heresy II, KP-201, Forte, etc. any condition

DizRotus

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

No, but thank you very much for the link.

I know these do... 

they have been on for a while...

and when you posted...wtb...the add

disappeared... now it's back up..

https://syracuse.craigslist.org/for/d/klipsch-kp-201-speakers/6407454175.html

Klipsch KP 201 Speakers - $550 (Central Square) hide this posting

image 1 of 3

3000.png3000.png2999.png2999.png3001.png3001.png

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

(google map)

Klipsch KP 201, great condition, sound great. $550.00, call or text- three one five-four30-2059, no emails will answered.

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 8:25 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

Just got a pair of KP-250's that I'm converting to Super Heresy's (Xover and port mods). Will be selling them when they are done for an attractive price!

Jimbo helped me convert the empty H1 cabs into supers. They are really good, with the Eliptrac tweeter, amazing

Mark

1 hour ago, ZEUS121996 said:

Claude,

Yes, I bought 2 pair from a member here on the forum, I have one pair in the Supers and the other pair went to Jimbo

Mark

Excellent choice of a new improved tweeter/driver combo over a K77. Much more "crisp and delicate" rendering of cymbal "sheen." You can almost tell what kind of brass they used. LOL.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2017 at 10:55 PM, ZEUS121996 said:

Jimbo helped me convert the empty H1 cabs into supers. They are really good, with the Eliptrac tweeter, amazing

Mark

I'm happy to see my technical modification propagating forward and improving the sound of a very good Klipsch design as a foundation. Kudos all around for those who have put a little faith and $$ in the outcome!  Whenever I do this sort of thing, I try to prove it out as best as possible with instruments with before/after curves, then real world room listening, then let other friends, Romans, and countrymen lend me THEIR ears, so to speak. I avoid the trap of falling into Beranek's Law that way!!

On 12/4/2017 at 9:25 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

Just got a pair of KP-250's that I'm converting to Super Heresy's (Xover and port mods). Will be selling them when they are done for an attractive price!

Claude, what is the hole size for the rear ports?  If you could answer here, and then maybe also add to your original post, that would be helpful for those reading that thread.  Thanks again!

I think this is the port I used. I gave my last one to DizRotus, but since I got them several years ago I'm only 95% sure...........  

Speaker Cabinet Port Tube 4" ID x 4" L Flared

Brand: |Model: PT-F440|Part # 260-403

The hole is probably about 4 1/4 inches.

The KP-250's I'll be modifying will have TWIN ports in front by the tweeter, tuned to a lower frequency than stock with a Xover mod and Capacitor upgrade. They should sound almost the same as my original Super Heresys, which, of course, you still have, but will NOT require the 8-16 inches of space behind them for best bass output. They will be able to go right up against the wall.

5 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I think this is the port I used. I gave my last one to DizRotus, but since I got them several years ago I'm only 95% sure...........  

Speaker Cabinet Port Tube 4" ID x 4" L Flared

Brand: |Model: PT-F440|Part # 260-403

The hole is probably about 4 1/4 inches.

The KP-250's I'll be modifying will have TWIN ports in front by the tweeter, tuned to a lower frequency than stock with a Xover mod and Capacitor upgrade. They should sound almost the same as my original Super Heresys, which, of course, you still have, but will NOT require the 8-16 inches of space behind them for best bass output. They will be able to go right up against the wall.

I found it on the PE site:

Requires a 5-5/8" diameter cutout, outside diameter of flare is 6-1/4".

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 11:13 AM, ClaudeJ1 said:

I'm happy to see my technical modification propagating forward and improving the sound of a very good Klipsch design as a foundation. Kudos all around for those who have put a little faith and $$ in the outcome!  Whenever I do this sort of thing, I try to prove it out as best as possible with instruments with before/after curves, then real world room listening, then let other friends, Romans, and countrymen lend me THEIR ears, so to speak. I avoid the trap of falling into Beranek's Law that way!!

I'm not that smart, and my hearing is that good anymore. The highs are cleaner and the K-42 ported and towards the corner is clearly better than a K-22 as it should be. It also costs a bit more than a stock Heresy unless you fall into deals or have good friends (Jimbo) help you out

Mark

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 6:11 PM, jimjimbo said:

I found it on the PE site:

Requires a 5-5/8" diameter cutout, outside diameter of flare is 6-1/4".

The flare is the hard part without the right tools. I cut the port holes too big to accommodate the flare and used silicone to seal them. Wouldn't a straight port tube have the same effect without having to cut and seal a larger hole?

Mark

1 minute ago, ZEUS121996 said:

I'm not that smart, and my hearing is that good anymore. The highs are cleaner and the K-42 ported and towards the corner is clearly better than a K-22 as it should be. It also costs a bit more than a stock Heresy unless you fall into deals or have good friends (Jimbo) help you out

Mark

The flare is the hard part without the right tools. I cut the port holes too big to accommodate the flare and used silicone to seal them. Wouldn't a straight port tube have the same effect without having to cut and seal a larger hole?

Mark

I think it would have the same effect should you be able to seal it well enough.

9 minutes ago, ZEUS121996 said:

Claude,

I'm going to start a new thread on mods. What if I stick a K-60M driver into a cornerhorn and take out the 55X?

Mark

Don’t start a new thread on my account.  Each bump is useful and any talk regarding Claude’s Supers is worthwhile and relevant.  The usual garage sale etiquette has been waived by this OP.

• Like 1

FYI, before I delivered the KP-201 IIs to my sister-in-law to be hidden for two weeks, I compared them to my son’s H1s and my recently completed, but not yet finally curved, scratchbuilt Supers.  The source was Pono hi-res files sent in DIFF(balanced) mode through TI TPA3255EVM on 48v from Mean Well.

They all sounded very good in that small space.  The bass from the Supers was best.  The bass from the other two was tight and pleasing, but seemed somewhat lacking when contrasted to the Supers.

I expect my brother will enjoy his “donor” KP-201 IIs enough that he will be reluctant to take them out of service long enough to convert them to Supers.  He doesn’t yet have a full-blown case off DIYitis.

@ClaudeJ1

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

The bass from the other two was tight and pleasing, but seemed somewhat lacking when contrasted to the Supers.

That was the pleasant surprise I had hoped for when I did the original pair over 3 years ago, now owned by Jim Jimbo.

I wanted to raise the output/efficiency (and Micro Detail) by 3 db, in the MIDRANGE, using a higher BL product woofer with a much bigger magnet (K42).

I knew that it would thin out the bass even more than a stock Heresy in the process if I kept the cabinet sealed.  So after 3 different Software Sims from 3 different Software Publishers all agreed on the port size, and the EXACT port was available "off the shelf" from Parts Express, all systems were "GO." The extreme BASS improvement I got was quite a shock to me, and a welcome BONUS, obviously.

Also, after modding the Heresy Network, I realized I had created a Cornwall B network in the process, hence the "Baby Cornwall" name along withe the Super Heresy name......FYI.

• Thanks 1