Plastidipping horns?

wuzzzer

With the advent of Klipsch's new horns it got me to wondering...has anyone ever used Plastidip on their horns?  For those of you not familiar, Plastidip is a rubberized 'spray paint' that is widely used in the automotive industry to black out wheels and other items.  The benefit of it is that it can be peeled off easily if need be.

I could see masking off the very inner part of the horn where it meets the diaphragm and then Plastidipping the rest of the throat.  Or just being careful not too spray too much on the very inside of the horn.

Dumb idea?  Good idea?  Should I audition for Shark Tank?? :lol:

• Like 1

I have used Quiet coat spray and various self adhesive damping sheets only on the outside of the horns.

If you are going to spray anything on the inside or the outside of the horn you best just remove the driver and mask off anywhere you don't want the spray to go.

• Like 1

I was thinking Flex Seal.  Maybe spray on the inside and outside.

It comes in a variety of colors.  Red would be nice.  I don't see anything smurffish.

At least the barker for Flex Seal is not as obnoxious as the Sham-Wow guy.  So we don't want to use Sham-Wow for acoustic stuffing.  No way.

WMcD

• Like 1

On 12/6/2017 at 1:49 PM, wuzzzer said:

With the advent of Klipsch's new horns it got me to wondering...has anyone ever used Plastidip on their horns?  For those of you not familiar, Plastidip is a rubberized 'spray paint' that is widely used in the automotive industry to black out wheels and other items.  The benefit of it is that it can be peeled off easily if need be.

I could see masking off the very inner part of the horn where it meets the diaphragm and then Plastidipping the rest of the throat.  Or just being careful not too spray too much on the very inside of the horn.

Dumb idea?  Good idea?  Should I audition for Shark Tank?? :lol:

I think it is a cool idea worth exploring, especially as it can be peeled off.  It also gives one the option to alter the horn color for effect, if interested. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure that you'll be able to add enough material to make a lot of difference. Damping material needs to be lossy (it absorbs vibrations) or massive (it lowers the resonant frequency). That represents two different approaches to the problem - in the first, the panel is allowed to vibrate but the vibration energy is absorbed; in the second the vibration is prevented from occurring.

There are a number of viscoelastic materials that are specifically designed to be lossy. Bitumen (tar) also works well, particularly in constrained-layer damping situations (search for "Sonic Barrier UT-4" at Part Express). Rubber, e.g. Plasti-Dip, is a reasonably good damping material, but you need a lot of it.

Taking the other approach; in the olden days, people dipped their Altec horns in concrete. That added a lot of mass and stiffness, and the horns didn't vibrate any more. But they were a pain to install.

Or you can go the modeling clay route, which has good damping charactristics and also adds mass.

2 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

I recently picked up some .80mil Noico fairly cheap on eBay, plan on lining the backs of my CF-4 horns:

Yup; another constrained-layer damping material. The elastomer (bitumen, rubber, etc.) is sandwiched between the vibrating panel and a layer of aluminum. When the panel tries to vibrate, the elastomer is put into shear, which it resists by converting the vibrational energy into heat.