Anonymity vs Privacy vs Security

MyOwn

21 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:
42 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I remember being taught there was some level of privacy right within one's own curtilage.  

I let the doctor check mine out in my knee.  It had ripped and he had to go in and fix it. 

Deleted.  NSFW.  Times have changed, and someone might complain.

1 hour ago, Jeff Matthews said:
2 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:
7 hours ago, WillyBob said:

internet privacy

If you post it ... the whole world knows.

It goes deeper than that. What the deal with Cambridge Analytica exposed about Facebook is that people's information was being used in a psychological profile knda way and they were being spoon fed things that would manipulate them into action.

You're getting sleepy.  Very, very sleepy...

...And when you finally awake the world will have changed. 

3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:
4 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Deleted.  NSFW.  Times have changed, and someone might complain.

Yes they would but I thought it was funny.  Of course there's no accounting for my sense of humor.

I missed it but when it comes to humor the mods are more lenient in their discrepancy because after all, what kid is going to click on this thread? The few of us that participate  only want to make sure it is politically correct.....That said, I still like coming to this place and wonder if "Jeff Mathews" is  a real dude. I clicked on his Facebook account and it seems he is more real  here than over there. :unsure:

3 hours ago, BigStewMan said:
4 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

..And when you finally awake the world will have changed. 

changed into what is the scary question.

Don't you miss delving into this kind of examination? I REALLY wish the archives were available since the beginning of the election cycle .  You participated in the last reiteration of the BS Forum and that one along with the prior group's archives would be invaluable to dissect today because we were REAL human beings posting and there is an actual record among friends.  Btw, without getting political, but you know as well as I how much fun speculating on the last election was and what we are experiencing today is a lot more *entertaining* than anything we discussed in the 8 years prior. :P:huh::blink2: 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2018 at 8:45 PM, Zen Traveler said:

Don't you miss delving into this kind of examination? I REALLY wish the archives were available since the beginning of the election cycle .  You participated in the last reiteration of the BS Forum and that one along with the prior group's archives would be invaluable to dissect today because we were REAL human beings posting and there is an actual record among friends.  Btw, without getting political, but you know as well as I how much fun speculating on the last election was and what we are experiencing today is a lot more *entertaining* than anything we discussed in the 8 years prior. :P:huh::blink2: 

5 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

speculation is very fun and natural; although, i know people that make their speculation their reality ... what i mean is that they believe that their speculation is always accurate. That gets frustrating. How do you reason with a person that basically believes that they have this incredible insight into, what i will call, an alternate reality?  So Abraham Lincoln doesn’t go to the theatre that night, there are some that will tell you what he would have done the following day and how that would have changed the world. Fun to speculate on that kind of stuff; but, we have to admit that we’re just speculating.

I feel I know where you are going with this and I too have my own frustrations with how folks deal with the kind of conversations we were having in there. True. There was a lot of speculation but there was also deductive reasoning based on facts and History...To use you analogy above, given what happened to Lincoln, presidential security has changed and no POTUSA would make the same security mistakes.  It doesn't take speculation that eventually someone would try to harm the POTUSA and in fact deductive reasoning may have prevented it from happening. 

Fun to speculate on that kind of stuff; but, we have to admit that we’re just speculating. it can be scary talking to people that have such faith in their prognosticating ability that it plays such a huge role in their worldview.

This would be true in a vacuum,. What the BS Forum allowed us to see was whose speculation was better informed as time passed. Fwiw, some people speculated on their wishes but I tried to use deductive reasoning on the facts and that was what I was continuously trying to point out.

You may recall from the BS days, that i’ve said that i’m less interested in what a person did and more interested in why they did it. I think we’d all be better off if we sincerely took the time to understand WHY people believe what they believe -- what is driving their thoughts.  When we stop trying to understand, we stop learning.  

I do remember. I really would like to dissect that statement in regard to current politics but that would be OT. I also sincerely try to see where the other person is coming from and I hope you have noticed I try to engage in conversation on what they wrote to find out what they mean and who they actually are....Back on topic--Facebook, Cambridge Analytica and several other entities are being exposed now for something I speculated was happening prior to the election and our government has brought indictments so I feel somewhat vindicated but no one now is discussing the facts either here or on Facebook and that does sadden me. 

7 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

speculation is very fun and natural; although, i know people that make their speculation their reality ... what i mean is that they believe that their speculation is always accurate. That gets frustrating. How do you reason with a person that basically believes that they have this incredible insight into, what i will call, an alternate reality?  So Abraham Lincoln doesn’t go to the theatre that night, there are some that will tell you what he would have done the following day and how that would have changed the world. Fun to speculate on that kind of stuff; but, we have to admit that we’re just speculating. it can be scary talking to people that have such faith in their prognosticating ability that it plays such a huge role in their worldview. The disclaimer in the financial world that “past performance is no guarantee of future results” can apply to human behavior as well. We don’t know what a person would do or know definitively all the ramifications of that action -- we can speculate, yes. Sadly, too many people are SURE that they know and either like or hate an individual based on that speculation -- that is frightening to me. You may recall from the BS days, that i’ve said that i’m less interested in what a person did and more interested in why they did it. I think we’d all be better off if we sincerely took the time to understand WHY people believe what they believe -- what is driving their thoughts.  When we stop trying to understand, we stop learning.  At least, that’s what i believe, or maybe I’m just speculating that this is what I believe :D 

Here is the definition of YOUR word speculation: "the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence". Zen's earlier opinion, which he referenced, was based, I think, more on words such as 'insight' > "the capacity to gain an accurate and deep intuitive understanding of a person or thing". Since you referenced Lincoln I have to 'speculate' that you are referring to our current Ringmaster. Only the least informed should have believed that things would be different. Your comment "incredible insight" is basically based on "past performance" of the Ringmaster.

Keith

34 minutes ago, T2K said:

Only the least informed should have believed that things would be different.

Hey Keith! I miss you buddy and hope things are going well. This has been a good discussion that is just getting started and I would like to see it kept going. Fwiw, I agree with your sentiment above and feel pretty much anyone would agree. There really shouldn't be, nor do I think there is about the current POTUSA regardless if you voted for him or not. If we get too far down in the weeds on speculation on how things could have been different with someone else I am sure that would close down the thread and derail the discussion of how folks were manipulated by their participation on the internet....

Like I mentioned the other day, our government has indictments against 13 people that were involved with more coming out in credible media reports of exactly how it happened. Cambridge Analytica and Facebook are currently being exposed for things that most of us had no idea the scope but I definitely was worried about prior to the election...In the old forum there are still links to provable  "FakeNews" stories and none of them were mine. :wacko:

14 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

nope.  merely referring to people that i’ve encountered that claim to know definitively things that have never happened -- doesn’t matter the subject.  happens in conversations about sports too ... “if so & so wouldn’t have gotten hurt, (insert team name) would have won the championship.” whether it’s a wild guess or an educated guess -- they just don’t know how athlete so & so would have performed in games that he/she didn’t play in.  i think our game of “what if” should remain just that -- a fun game; and i don’t see any wisdom in making it more than that. sure, at times, we may guess correctly; but, i’ll bet that our track records are far worse than we’d like to admit. 

That's what I miss about having the archives--I contend some of our track records were pretty solid and that was the beauty of having a written record. B)

was just having a similar conversation yesterday --- about the NFL draft.  the person i was talking to pulled out his laptop to see how accurate these talking heads were. one of the major commentators, for last year’s draft, got three right (assuming the article meant the first round of the draft) so, three out of 32 for a guy that makes his living studying the game and has far more access to the teams than the average viewer.  My friend looked at two other guys and their records weren't much better. i read an article a few years ago where a major sports commentator’s (on ESPN) trade predictions were studied.  Throughout his career, he had a success rate of only 24%. Yet, how many football fanatics hang their hopes on these “experts” speculation?  I think we find the same in politics and finance.  

I don't think using entertainment is a good analogy to predicting what happens in the real world. Let's face it, I think that is part of the problem and why we have a Reality TV Show host has POTUSA (not to be a political dig but is reality)

There are some that just think they know more than they do ... and that’s really okay with me -- i just get frustrated when they don’t tell us that they’ve crossed over from fact to speculation. 

Of course. There  are a lot of topics I don't know much about and usually don't engage unless I wanted to learn more. My 18 year history in this forum has shown I've been keenly interested in Politics, Religion and art and not on just a superficial basis. I am more fortunate than most to have the time and resources to research what fascinates me and have found not too many people have the luxury. If one doesn't know about the topic then I totally agree their speculation isn't worth very much,  but otoh, don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Sure, people can choose to believe what they want but when they  enter the sphere of discussion shouldn't be offended by other people's opinions but should instead try to get the points being conveyed and have an informed response. Btw, this isn't directed at you Big Stew and my opinion on all important conversations where we all have a stake. :) 

On 4/6/2018 at 9:38 AM, Zen Traveler said:

Sure, people can choose to believe what they want but when they  enter the sphere of discussion shouldn't be offended by other people's opinions but should instead try to get the points being conveyed and have an informed response. Btw, this isn't directed at you Big Stew and my opinion on all important conversations where we all have a stake. :).

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

I can’t really comment much about Facebook, having never been a part of that show; but, i recall hearing a co-worker say of another, “you have to remember that he gets all of his news from Facebook.”  I’ve also seen how conspiracy theories and flat out lies can grow legs very quickly in the public realm.

I enjoy our conversations and want to capitalize on the above sentiment given I have now been of Facebook for 2 months and understand the depth that people got involved in a conspiracy on Facebook--It's not theory and the facts are playing out now.

Maybe that’s why I’m reluctant to take what people say (individuals and the media at large) hook, line, and sinker. Yeah, i’ve been told numerous times that i’m too cynical -- and i believe that. In my defense, i’m cynical of most everything though. Sometimes i wish i didn’t; but, i seem to get very curious as to why someone is telling me something. I think i focus too much on trying to figure out a person’s motive -- and then i risk doing exactly what i preach against -- forming an opinion based on my speculation. 

I understand being cynical but you appear not to trust anyone in regard to their opinion . :unsure: Insofar as forming an opinion based on your own speculation--Dude! Those that don't suffer the opinions of others without regard that there are better outcome and answers--IOW, we get who we deserve and I contend with discussion and debate we can get better.

So don’t worry Zen, I’m not offended and find your engagement to be more civil than many i’ve encountered.  A person that refuses to discuss things without resorting to insults (of either the person they’re talking with or that person’s beliefs) is something that, in my opinion, robs them of credibility. Nothing worse than trying to have a discussion with a person that quickly resorts to name-calling or the “oh yeah, we’ll you’re stupid” or similar statements

Oh, I'm not worried and what you say above about civility I preach on a regular basis because I want to learn from other people's opinion. 

Or, equally frustrating (I encountered this recently with one of my best friends -- and not on this forum) that just because i disagree with some person’s ideas or actions, doesn’t mean that I support their opponents. He had the "either/or" mindset and I was not making any headway convincing him that everything isn’t an “either/or.” There are MANY instances when i think both sides are wrong. But, despite being polar opposites and having rarely agreed on any subject, we remain civil and remain good friends ... and we’ve both been able to see issues from a different perspective -- which is something that I value very highly.

Alright time to do something ... have a happy Friday.

Have a great weekend and fwiw, I don't engage in discussions just to debate. There are things I greatly care about and feel my concerns are universal and caution folks not to get caught up in "talking heads" rhetoric, as well as online memes because that is where brainwashing occurs and IS part of the problem. That makes this thread a good starting point for examining the situation of Internet Security and that not all of the danger has been exposed and we are living in a critical time in combating it, regardless of your political persuasion.  

1 hour ago, Zen Traveler said:

IOW, we get who we deserve and I contend with discussion and debate we can get better.

You are in the tiny minority.  Most people are just voting for who they want to worship - an "image" of sorts.  It's efficient, entertaining and requires less work than actually understanding the workings of government.

On 3/29/2018 at 7:48 PM, RockOn4Klipsch said:

I've become kind of a nut about privacy/anyonymity/security. I understand that if someone wants something they will get it somehow , so it's not fool proof.

I use a VPN and entware on our home router to encrypt data and remove trackers. I use an open source varaint of Chromium and duck duck go, Proton email. I run an open source custom Android ROM on my phone without any Google apps. No Facebook yadda yadda. 

I usually encourage friends and family to ditch the "convenience" and take back some of their privacy. The people who say they don't care usually don't know how much is tracking is being done and how much is stored. The argument of I have nothing to hide is silly. 

Would you allow all the businesses or people claiming to be in business stare in your home windows because they will be able to better take care of your needs or ....better exploit you. What about letting them open you mail? Only the junk mail, medical bills, is there a limit to what you would allow? Or does one not mind the above example?

People are usually unaware until someone shows them. Google tracks and store your location, errands, route, time and places it on a calendar ...every day. It stores your voice command as well as recordings of errantly enabling those feature.

Go and dig into your Google data and see what's really there. It's accessible although not always easy to locate and delete. 

:emotion-21::emotion-21::emotion-21:

I'm pretty sure I shared this link before...A lot of information to dive into but I think it is worth the effort....

https://www.privacytools.io/#

Edited to add this link

https://routersecurity.org/index.php