New Listening Room, and New House

Mallette

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:52 PM, Mallette said:

I have never known a person, or a person who knew a person, who suffered ill effects traceable to asbestos.

Nice looking room Dave. Congratulations.

Now you know a person that has suffered ill effects from asbestos inhalation. Me. My Oncologist attributed my now Stage 4 cancer to asbestos inhalation. It started off as a small spot on one lung last year.

Don't take any chances. Trust me, you don't want to experience the consequences.

Keith

Keith, many got the impression I though asbestos inhalation over rated.  Not in the slightest.  What I said was that most forms it's found in buildings are not airborne.  In any event, none in my building or in my house so a moot point.  

Dave

Back in the 90's I bought some Klipsch speakers, Klipsch sub, Acurus amp, TV and other stuff to use in my new house which was being built. Temporarily set them up in a 12X14 foot bedroom at the old place. When I closed the bedroom door and cranked the volume the pressure would rattle closed doors on their hinges. Looks like you'll have no problem 'pressurizing' your room.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Alrighty, close enough to post a picture, not really a great one, of the reality. The reality sounds great and I think the records, equipment, and furniture have pretty well treated the liveness. The floors remain dirty...cleaned only one room I've done in and it looks great, but no point in cleaning and waxing the rest until I am done trooping in and out with boxes and rearranging things. Very unhappy with my Yammie. Started to YPAO the room, and the remote didn't work. Well, stuff happens and I assumed it was the remote. Ordered a replacement and same issue. Apparently, the sensor in the unit has failed, of all damn things. Pretty useless right now and, as with so many modern units, the unit is basically worthless without the remote as one cannot balance it without one. Very bummed. Less than 3 years old and replacing it will take a while on my current income. Anyway, sounds pretty good as is and will have to do for a while.

Next, setting up the 4 Frazier and Klipsch subwoofer LR system with DynaQuad. Using a Soundcraftsman preamp and my Jolida VT amp in there. Not expecting any dumb failures like the Yammie in the vintage gear there and looking forward to the results.

Dave

Music2.png

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Alrighty, close enough to post a picture, not really a great one, of the reality. The reality sounds great and I think the records, equipment, and furniture have pretty well treated the liveness. The floors remain dirty...cleaned only one room I've done in and it looks great, but no point in cleaning and waxing the rest until I am done trooping in and out with boxes and rearranging things. Very unhappy with my Yammie. Started to YPAO the room, and the remote didn't work. Well, stuff happens and I assumed it was the remote. Ordered a replacement and same issue. Apparently, the sensor in the unit has failed, of all damn things. Pretty useless right now and, as with so many modern units, the unit is basically worthless without the remote as one cannot balance it without one. Very bummed. Less than 3 years old and replacing it will take a while on my current income. Anyway, sounds pretty good as is and will have to do for a while.

Next, setting up the 4 Frazier and Klipsch subwoofer LR system with DynaQuad. Using a Soundcraftsman preamp and my Jolida VT amp in there. Not expecting any dumb failures like the Yammie in the vintage gear there and looking forward to the results.

Dave

Music2.png

nice.....do you have a spare bedroom ?

Just finished evening listening. Partial includes Magical Mystery Tour, Close to the Edge, Virgil Fox Fox Touch, and various 78's, including the incredible mint "Sing, Sing, Sing" with the Goodman Orchestra and Gene Krupa. Loving it, even though I can't control the balance as I'd like until I replace the Yammie or find a breakthrough on why the remote sensor isn't working. I took the sub off LFE and plugged it to a pre out of the LF/RF channels, which helped. But still lower than an a true balance even at full volume. Ah, the travails of the audiophool! I'll work it out, and deal with having a system only in perhaps the 95 percentile until I do! Any of you guys are welcome to visit and offer your help and input at anytime.

Dave

No reason to PM...sort of issue that may be useful to others. You know the sub for sure. I had it rattled windows and rearranging china in Houston, but can barely get it to be heard now. Very mysterious. Amp is a Dayton SA230, which has plenty of power for a horn loaded sub. I had it connected via the LFE feed from the Yammie, and even at full volume couldn't hear anything even with my head in the horn. Switched to a line out, and it's audible...but still nowhere near its capabilities even at full volume. Not a lot to check, as you know. Rather a head scratcher. 

Dave

1 minute ago, Mallette said:

No reason to PM...sort of issue that may be useful to others. You know the sub for sure. I had it rattled windows and rearranging china in Houston, but can barely get it to be heard now. Very mysterious. Amp is a Dayton SA230, which has plenty of power for a horn loaded sub. I had it connected via the LFE feed from the Yammie, and even at full volume couldn't hear anything even with my head in the horn. Switched to a line out, and it's audible...but still nowhere near its capabilities even at full volume. Not a lot to check, as you know. Rather a head scratcher. 

Dave

Shouldn't be hard to figure out.  You're not getting enough gain out of your pre.  Is this the same pre that you were previously using?

57 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Is this the same pre that you were previously using?

Yes and no. But, you are correct that this one has never provided the "umph" I got from the Soundcraftsman pre. Never thought about it, I guess, as I never had a low output preamp to my knowledge. Might try headphone out just to see if it makes a difference.

Dave

25 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Yes and no. But, you are correct that this one has never provided the "umph" I got from the Soundcraftsman pre. Never thought about it, I guess, as I never had a low output preamp to my knowledge. Might try headphone out just to see if it makes a difference.

Dave

Run speaker wires to the sub amp high level inputs (from your amp) and on the SAME lugs run wires to your speakers.  The other thing you could do is hook 2 seat of wires to each side of your amplifiers output terminals (L and R).  run one set to your speakers and one set to the high level input of your sub amp.  Both methods accomplish the same thing.  You're running your speakers and sub amp in parallel.  It won't hurt your amp and you'll have plenty of gain.

Why don't I just use the sub amp output, you might ask?  I'm not sure what filtering goes on inside the sub amp and this method assures that your speakers will get a full signal.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Why don't I just use the sub amp output, you might ask?  I'm not sure what filtering goes on inside the sub amp and this method assures that your speakers will get a full signal

No, I get that. That was what all the first subs did and it works well. Will make that change in a couple of days and report the results. My mistake was in never having run across low level preamp out signals. 

In other news, got a 4 speaker DyanQuad set up running in the living room driven by my little 10wpc Jolida VT amp. SWEET! Not big loud, but more than enough for a living room. Using a DBX 3BX in there and the vinyl is awesome. TT is my Rotel 3000 with SME 3009 II arm.  Cart is...Shure ME88.  WAY underrated. Haven't hooked up the Klipsch sub yet, which should actually increase volume by taking the load from the Fraziers.  Probably hook that up tomorrow. Only so many working hours in the day, and it's time to ENJOY! 

Dave