New Listening Room, and New House

Mallette

Yes.  You are suggesting I don't believe it is a threat.  What I said was I never knew anyone, or anyone who knew anyone, with mesothelioma.  Since I don't live around mines, I never met anyone with Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicavolcanoconiosis either but that doesn't mean I don't understand and believe that silica dust is dangerous inhaled over a period of time.  

28 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Yes.  You are suggesting I don't believe it is a threat.  What I said was I never knew anyone, or anyone who knew anyone, with mesothelioma.  Since I don't live around mines, I never met anyone with Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicavolcanoconiosis either but that doesn't mean I don't understand and believe that silica dust is dangerous inhaled over a period of time.  

David,

You have a PM

Roger

6 hours ago, Mallette said:

The asbestos threat is WAY overrated.  Who eats paint?  No doubt that inhaled it is a health threat, but the forms in which it occurred in structures weren't really inhalable.  My dad, and many others, had a heater at his shop that had asbestos as a radiant heat source.  The glowing and moving incandescent threads fascinated me.  I am sure some came off and into the air, but from all I understand you need to be exposed to significant airborne asbestos for a considerable period to have anything to worry over.  I have never known a person, or a person who knew a person, who suffered ill effects traceable to asbestos.

Again, not denying it is unhealthy under certain conditions...just the hype about it.  

Dave

Asbestos is ok until you start to remove it in an unsafe way, now we know how to handle it, and it's not a complicated procedure. 

An ex girlfriend of mine lost her Dad and an uncle from Mesothelioma, from asbestos exposure. They were in the Navy and worked in the shipyards repairing ships, WWll era. 

Asbestos caused a lot of problems for people for a long time, we're still cleaning up that mess. I know a guy that's a contractor specializing in asbestos removal, makes great money!

7 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Asbestos is ok until you start to remove it in an unsafe way, now we know how to handle it, and it's not a complicated procedure. 

An ex girlfriend of mine lost her Dad and an uncle from Mesothelioma, from asbestos exposure. They were in the Navy and worked in the shipyards repairing ships, WWll era. 

Asbestos caused a lot of problems for people for a long time, we're still cleaning up that mess. I know a guy that's a contractor specializing in asbestos removal, makes great money!

I spent some time in the asbestos abatement business myself. The key is too keep it from becoming airborne. Don't disturb it if you don't have to and it is a non event. If you do have to deal with it, keep it wet. Once wet, the fibers are heavier than air and will stay grounded. Use a HEPA mask and immediately launder your clothes when done. Yup, double bag, and put in the trash, but that is only if you are the home owner (in Missouri, other states have differing regulations). If  the abatement is done for hire (contractor) more stringent rules apply. The concern is the sharp fibers will cut the lining of your lungs and the scar tissue does not absorb oxygen as the lungs are intended.

• Thanks 1

As I said, no asbestos in this place.  However, as I have a downtown building that is 120 years old and know a lot of other building owners there I can state that one of the biggest "wink, wink" things here is for your contractors to say "...make sure the place is cleaned up before we start and the inspectors come."  Wink, wink...  Guys are hired from the street corner, given masks, and they take the stuff to the dump.  Whether that's wrong or not it is how things are done.  Given the costs of hazmat teams some of these buildings would simply rot into the ground otherwise.  

Dave

Well, pretty close to having the music and HT plans complete.  This is at high enough resolution to zoom on for those wanting a closer look and it's only the listening rooms, about a third of the house.  It's rotated 90 degrees clockwise from north for easier viewing.  My dimensions are close, but not precise.  As I had precise measurements from the past on my speakers, furniture, and such I could tell that, within the dimensioning errors I mentioned, nothing was too close as to be of concern.  I'll get the significant digits out farther once I am moved in.  

This is the way I want it for the 2nd week of March RMHC open house.  The HT/Listening room will have the Ramsey FM30 transmitter I crowed about a couple of years ago here.  All systems will have FM tuners so I'll be able to pipe music from the HT/Listening room all over the house and grounds and probably the whole block.  As I said back then, this transmitter is "vinyl good."  That's my Cinema F6 sub in the bay windows.  I'll probably suspend the projector at some point, but for now it will be on a stand I purchase both for that use and also to support SoundCube, Jr. when field recording.  Rears are Heresy, sides are Klipsch HT, but I forget the model, and the front is K'horns and LaScala center.  Record cubes on the side walls are six by six and can hold all 2k LPs and 400 or so 78s.  I'll probably store my CDs in the office since I have them digitized.  Sources will be cassette, Tascam 3000 1 bit, 2.8mz digital recorder (does all the PCM sample rates as well).  Eventually, also my Sony R2R, but that will be awhile as the output audio amp has fallen silent.  Turntables will be VPI Scout Jr for vinyl, and my Empire 598II for 78s.  78s bias curves handled by RekOKut Re-equalizer.  HT receiver will be my 7.1 Yammie, and I can't recall the model at the moment.  Hope to get my SuperPAS3 VT preamp up for phono eq soon, but may have to use something lesser until then.  Dynamic range restoration will be by DBX 4BX.  I never touch needle to vinyl without it.  

LR system will be Frazier Mk5s in front, and Mk4s in the rear fed by my Soundscraftsman preamp, FM tuner, and 2 channel amp through a Hafler DynaQuad.  I have two of these, and MAY put another in the office.  Turntable likely my Sony, but haven't decided yet.  Other source will be via Laptop with Audioengine DAC.  DBX 3BX for dynamic range restoration. 

Haven't decided what to put in the office...several possible choices.  

CountyMusic.png

• Like 3

Well, think I am done.  Everything fits, and I really expect this to be acoustically the best room I've ever had.  Those bay window angles should really help with clean imaging.  I won't treat at first, and then simply start with a carpet.  Probably take a few months to determine what else might need be done.  Kept messing with this and that fine point, and believe I finally got the hardwood color right on the last one with the spectrogram on screen.  Walls are pretty close, though they don't seem quite that dark when in there.  Good for video viewing.  Hope to share with many of you over the next few years.

Dave

Music9.png

Music11.png

Music12.png

Music8.png

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Marvel said:

ALWAYS the first thing to get set was the audio system...

But of course.  Moving is bad enough, but cold beer and great music help a LOT!

I am planning 4 systems, all with FM tuners so I can use my outstanding 1 watt FM transmitter to feed them all simultaneously.  

Dave