Suggestions on opening doghouse door on Pro La Scala's?

jimjimbo

Since it's a decent day here, decided to do a bit more work on the Pro La Scala pair I just received.  

Anyone have suggestions on opening the doghouse door that is very seriously stuck?  I'm sure that whatever seal is in there is baked on.  Have tried wide blade flat head screwdriver, etc, etc......Heat?  Solvent?  Help?

I made a door gasket out of tool drawer liner.  It stuck to the paint very well, probably because it is gummy to start with.   It seemed like a good idea at the time. 

Screwdrivers and putty knives were not effective.

I finally used a cable saw meant for cutting pvc pipes.  It is just a matter of getting the cable under a corner and sawing through the gasket.  It did cause some scraping to the paint but might be the only solution.

Another thought is a fender puller but I'd leave that as a last resort.  I've not tried it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-PVC-Cable-Saw-TUO0002J/204284854

WMcD

• Like 1

If ya have a heat gun and a thin blade, sharpened putty knife, use the heat gun to heat the knife blade, then work it around the seam.  It will take time and effort, but this will minimize damage to the wood. Some thin plastic wedges will keep the parts you have separated from re-adhering. Take your time to prevent any splintering. Patience and slow, even pressure are the key.

• Like 1

Finally got them open.  Quite obvious that they hadn't been disturbed for 30 years or so, the seal had literally turned to a tar like substance.  My neighbor across the street, who has every tool known to mankind saw me working on them this afternoon and came over with what looked like a large angled nail puller.  We worked on each one very slowly for about 15 minutes and finally popped them open.  Absolutely beautiful pristine wood inside the doghouse.  Thanks for all of your suggestionsl

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1