CB radio interference!

mungkiman

Last night, while between CD's, I heard the strangest thing. CB radio, albeit softly, was playing through my speakers! The receiver was switched to CD mode, and I can only vouch for the "B" speakers ('59 shorthorns), but I heard it. I assume this is a problem with the receiver, but any help or suggestions would be appreciated. If it matters, the equipment is Sony from the last decade:

CDP-CA9 ES disc player

STR-D1015 receiver

I have not yet been able to hear the CB radio again since, but I haven't spent a lot of time trying either. Thanks,

Chris

Somewhere nearby you have someone running an overpowered CB, since you can only hear one side. Try some small disc capacitors between each side of the speaker wires (+ and -) to chassis ground at the receiver end. You need to do all of the channels. The speaker wires act as an antenna and feed it into the amp, which then amplifies it and sends it back to the speakers.

When I use to live in an apartment the city, I use to get hit by a$$holes and there CB powermikes as they drove down the highway. That problem has gone away once I was able to move my equipment into lower levil basements.

This still urks me. I blew a tweeter and woofer driver once because of those dumba$$ people.

I had a friend who use to live close to a ham radio guy who had a giant tower in his backyard. He was licensed to broadcast with high power equipment. But he also came through loud and clear through all the neighborhood TV sets.

JM

• Klipsch Employees

if you only hear one side that would place the cb close to you.

150 ft or less. Or he will have a lot of power on his transmiter.

The FCC does not like, but does not come after people much any more.

Look around for a old truck with a antena on the back and a little green pine tree hanging from the rearview. Mailbox stickers from WalMart spelling out a strange code like KYX-1089.

When you find it, take a 6 pack of beer and your fave. Hank Jr CD and have a chat. ( btw: dont call him good budy...)

Ask him to help...3.gif

Waddahell?

That warnt me!! That wuz my evil twin Elroy,(poor boy aint been quite right since he got all likkered up on that wun Sunday stead of going to meeting and saw them dangable spiders coming at him from his mason jar). I told him that sour mash and funny looking mushrooms wuznt a good idea.

So be nice the boy means well and anyways I think it is damned smartass of him to figure out how to use that there Tennessee Valley power gridlock as an antenee. Hell Elroy ain't had to pay long distance charges for years. I pay plenty cause he done figured out how to Seebee me from as far as some furrin place,(thank he called it Pay-roo), but mostly he caint never hear me answerin' and the phone company said he could just go to hail cause they wusnt gonna hook again no more - so gotta phone him at the nearest payin phone.

So what we does - Is he gets on the Seebee and yaks his fool haid off an then I hafta drive to the 7-11,( them damned Yankees at my phone company treets me like him!), and call the phone booth nearest whar he's at. We talks until I run outta quarters and then I go home an the next day we does it all over again!

Fact is that 'ole Elroy is a danged fool cause Iff he'd just quit seebeeing me for a cupla months I could save up enough and I could buy me a flatbed tractor trailer rig with one of them 20 kilowatt genraters and one of them surplus Radio Free Your UP transmitters like he haz and then we could talk anytime he wanted....

See y'all I gotta run Elroys on the blower again.. Dammit Elroy turn that thing off my light bulbs is goin' funny again. Dont you give me that Pair a gway **** agin I see yor truck in my damned driveway!! And whodahell is that in the truck with y'all ??

Dang!

Margareet y'all get yo butt home rat now! I shoulda knowed somethin' wuz wrong when you went out for smokes and the dishes started piling up! Well I have to admit I am releived - by the time I ran outta plates I thunk mebbe you had done gone and dyed. Y'all go get me a beer and I'll check out Elroy's new power doublin machine and then I'm gonna kick his butt!!

Oh! Don't ferget to put a cuppla shots of Jimmy B. in hiz beer! We are gonna be thirsty after discussin your shamefull behavyor!

Shielded speaker wire would probably help, grounded at the receiver end. If you have never heard him before, he may have been mobiling thru the neighborhood. if so, you don't have to do anything.

I saw a website once geared toward CB'ers who try to have the most powerful signal. These were setup in trucks, usually full size to house the amps and alternators. One Suburban was running a twin turbo 454 on nitrous. This was required to drive the 6-8 200 amp, high voltage alternators, providing enough power for the 50,000 watt amp in the back. They would key down and all electronics within about 1/4 mile would die. Of course, the antenna would usually melt within a few seconds.

Why thats a big 10-4 lynnm-bob .Weve got our big ole Klipsch ears on and comin fatback at ya from the Rig-o-Mortis Express and Midnight Ambulance Patrol. Pickin ya up loud and clear on our RF-7s. Cant wait for the Hope boys to come out with the Mayberry RFD models. Im trying to raise up anybody that knows some doctorin . Calling Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr Howard. Doctors Howard, Fine, Howard. Well it IS a mite outta the way for a roadside call but I got a buddy in trouble. Seems he clipped his wing while doing a 360 with Little Joes new batch of shine. Thats the stuff he cooked up with his new fangled engine eared felt hat filtration system. There are three stages one goes through while consuming a Jug-O-Joes Jet fuel. One is Show doggin. Second is Mad doggin and the third and very last is Dead doggin. Ooooooweee!

I warned him that the last victim that took a pull offa jug of Joes new lightnin ended up doing Bama barnyard boomerang imitations on the sunny side of aunt Tilleys 10 foot fire ant hill. You probably saw a pitcher of it in the Noshubee County Star last year after Floyd the void Boyds Polaroid of it won second place in the Hatfield Clan Bake and Pork Pie Hat Eating Hoedown for Most Unusual Flash at a Blindfolded Shotgun Reloading Contest. First place came in dead last but thats another story.

Calling Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr Howard. I better keep my eyes pealed and pay better contention to these route 666 road signs. Lotsa forks in the road coming up all the time. Well, I better head on down the happy trails and try to get my buddy some fixin up before he expires from exposure. He was rick-o-shaying offa my dashboard doggies, tangling up my Home Grown Hoopen and a Hollerin Washboard Classic 8 track tapes and trying to carry on a conversation with some guy who he thought he was talking to through his tv while watching movies in his living room in South Dakota on my CB radio. So once my buddy started screaming that he wernt getting any answers I had to lag him on down to the flatbed with some cheap speaker wire left over from a delivery I made last week in Framingham, Massachusetts. Or was that Boise, Idaho? I dont recall. Its hard to keep on being half tracked 50 percent of the time. Hope it holds him. Better check in the rear view. GOLLY ! He aint there. Musta fell off just as I started yawning with ya. Well I warned him not to wave. Probably juggled himself off with a loose connection . That sure was a short ride . I guess that explains the funny feeling I had a few miles back that I suddenly was driving a 19 instead of an 18 wheeler. Back to the airwaves for yours truly. Calling Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr Howard. Goober. If you can hear me fire up the road kill cow catcher. Ill give you directions once you get here. Hurry if ya can. I lost a patient and business is pickin up. OVER. Happy trails to you. Until we meet again. Happy trails

Partsexpress and Radio Shack both sell RFI/EMI filters that you crimp on your speaker cables and anyother cables. They are super cheap. put it on the end closest to the input of the speaker and receiver, though if it gets really bad you can put them along the speaker wires to clean it all the way through.

they work very well. i htink osmething like $0.17 each for the smallest size. I used them when I lived in Bellville cause we had a 50Ft tower for our antennae and it had a CB radio receiver on it.

Elroy!!

Fuh the last time boy!! I don't know whar that Dee Ang feller lives and iffn I did I woodent tell ya! I nose y'all aint gunna hert him but he dont need to see yore truck - It wud only make him more scairt.

Besides member the fuss that there Homeless feller kicked when you lit up that danged seebee a block from hiz house and melted all of them 300 bees ??( wal yess I gotta admit that having 300 bees in the house musta been a pain but hiz liaryar said he wuz rat fond of them - even if they wuz all Chinese!)

Margareet you get yore butt away from that truck and get me a beer!!

This was more than likely a person running mobile CB with way too much power and a high SWR. Most unique individuals of that nature believe that a ton of rf power is the way to get MY SIGNAL out. Same person believes RMS stands for Really Mean System. Most ham operators, like myself, pride ourselves on no interference. Period. We go to great lengths to not upset neighbors with RFI.

Look up on the ARRL web site for the local Amateur radio club in your town. I'll bet they have an idea who is causing the problem. If you can hear one side of the conversation, listen for key words like call signs. By law, we have to identify ourselves every ten minutes. If you can get a call sign, then look it up on the ARRL website, you now have a name, address, phone number and GPS coordinates for that persons home. If this is a legit HAM, they will usually go out of their way to lock down any EMI/RFI. Just be friendly about it. Most HAMs are audiophiles but would rather work a little higher up the spectrum, but still respect clean audio. N5PWV