RCA 12sn7 GT pre amp tubes any good?

mopardave

I have a Maple Tree pre amp with RCA 12sn7GT tubes in it.  It was delivered with these tubes and i have never tried any thing different in it.  Sonically are these RCA's a good choice in your pre amp?  Thought i might try something different, but dont know what to try that might be better.     No issues with these, but they sure do have alot of run time on them.

17 hours ago, mopardave said:

I have a Maple Tree pre amp with RCA 12sn7GT tubes in it.  It was delivered with these tubes and i have never tried any thing different in it.  Sonically are these RCA's a good choice in your pre amp?  Thought i might try something different, but dont know what to try that might be better.     No issues with these, but they sure do have alot of run time on them.

It's impossible to take someone's suggestion as to what type of tube will be best in your equipment.  And, even if they have the same preamp, you have no way of knowing what they are hearing or what effect their associated equipment has.  The only way to make a judgment is to buy a bunch of tubes, try them, and draw your own conclusions.

Be careful when you read so-called "tube reviews."  They are meaningless as a tube will perform very differently depending on its operating parameters.  And, as I've mentioned countless times, it's easy to fall into the trap of expectation bias based on how much you pay for a tube which supposedly has magical properties.

Maynard

• Like 1

I have a Cary Audio SLP98 preamp that uses  6SN7 tubes. When I purchased it, it had cheap EH tubes in it. I bought some KEN-RAD tubes made in the 40's and the sound was much better. All I'm trying to say is that imho good vintage tubes sound better than the newer Russian or Chinese tubes.

6 hours ago, mopardave said:

Yes, i agree.   What i really was curious about was if these RCA 12sn GT tubes were a good tube or a popular tube in use?

RCA was not only a popular brand, but their tubes were (and still are!) excellent.  I used them in very large quantities in my repair work and always found them to be exceedingly reliable.  Check out this excellent video, and be sure to watch part 2 as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCksgN7kiv4

Maynard

My 2a3 amps each have two rca 6sn7 tubes, and the tech who has been working on them told me all the tubes test above 90% and within 3% of each other. The EH 2a3s were also good.

He told me they sound really good, and only has the 300b WE amps to compare them to.

I will go have a listen tomorrow an probably bring them back home.

Bruce

On 2/11/2018 at 2:37 PM, mopardave said:

Wondering what you learned here.?  I know what I think, but like to hear other's opinions......sometimes.....

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:19 AM, tube fanatic said:

It's impossible to take someone's suggestion as to what type of tube will be best in your equipment.  And, even if they have the same preamp, you have no way of knowing what they are hearing or what effect their associated equipment has.  The only way to make a judgment is to buy a bunch of tubes, try them, and draw your own conclusions.

Be careful when you read so-called "tube reviews."  They are meaningless as a tube will perform very differently depending on its operating parameters.  And, as I've mentioned countless times, it's easy to fall into the trap of expectation bias based on how much you pay for a tube which supposedly has magical properties.

Maynard

Yup ... and that sentiment goes for the fairy dust sprinkled on about 75% of the gear and its options in this hobby ..

Magical properties are what you've talked yourself into believing ..

1 hour ago, Schu said:

I think it's worst than that... I simply find it difficult to trust anyone else's judgement of what sounds good and what does not.

I have obviously been happy with these RCA's as i have had them for 16+yrs now and never thought about trying something different til now.   Wanted to get your opinions on these before i spent any money.   Maybe later in the year if i'm bored i will try something different, but not sure which brands are more preferred than others.

Dave,

I used one of those mapletree preamp for few years way back when maybe that is how you ended up getting one? I think if you ask loyd the owner he would tell you get a pair of 12SX7's if you can find them. I know someone that has a pair...maybe you need to take a trip north sometime.

1 hour ago, NOSValves said:

Dave,

I used one of those mapletree preamp for few years way back when maybe that is how you ended up getting one? I think if you ask loyd the owner he would tell you get a pair of 12SX7's if you can find them. I know someone that has a pair...maybe you need to take a trip north sometime.

If i can find some time this summer i may take you up on that. Been workin tons of hours and trying to take care of my dad in Omer as well.         Thanks

2 hours ago, NOSValves said:

I was moved to a larger home in the exact area I grew up in. My house is about 7 miles north of the town of Oscoda. I'm now just a few miles off Lake Huron. 

Ok, your up there by Greenbush.  What speakers you using now?