Heresy II

whatever55

15 minutes ago, whatever55 said:

I have some Heresy II's ....

What can I do to upgrade them ???     Make super Heresy's of get the kit to upgrade to III's ?

Thank You

I think I'd use the word modify as opposed to upgrade.  You can do a H3 kit, recap or replace crossovers, swap drivers brace the cabinets, dampen the horns, etc.

I don't believe the CT120's will work in the Heresy II's as they use the K-76 tweeter.  So maybe the titanium diaphragms.  Not sure about the A-55's on the K-53 horn, either.  I like the Heresy 2's I owned for about 5 years; they had the slanted risers and I forget now what finish they were.  I believe all I did was swap out the 1.5uf caps for Solen's.  

4 minutes ago, avguytx said:

I don't believe the CT120's will work in the Heresy II's as they use the K-76 tweeter.  So maybe the titanium diaphragms.  Not sure about the A-55's on the K-53 horn, either.  I like the Heresy 2's I owned for about 5 years; they had the slanted risers and I forget now what finish they were.  I believe all I did was swap out the 1.5uf caps for Solen's.  

You are correct.  Sorry, never mind.  I am old and deranged.....

1 minute ago, jimjimbo said:

You are correct.  Sorry, never mind.  I am old and deranged.....

I'm getting there myself.  Kind of like Eddie in Christmas Vacation sometimes...      “Every time Katherine would run the microwave, I’d piss my pants and forget who I was for a half-hour or so.”

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators

I thought the upgrade to the 3's were with Ti drivers on both horns.

But you might want to listen to the 3's before you decide to do that, if they even have the parts for that anymore ? It may not be that big of a difference ?

Do you use a sub with them, if not might be a way to go instead of changing the H ?

1 hour ago, dtel said:

I thought the upgrade to the 3's were with Ti drivers on both horns.

But you might want to listen to the 3's before you decide to do that, if they even have the parts for that anymore ? It may not be that big of a difference ?

Do you use a sub with them, if not might be a way to go instead of changing the H ?

Which sub would you suggest ?

OP-What are you trying to achieve with an upgrade?

As to which subwoofer to pair with Heresy's-I recommend a sealed sub because the Heresy's are a sealed speaker. A sealed sub with have a tighter, snappier bass which will match the acoustic suspension design of the Heresy's best. I'm attracted to SVS's  "SB" (Sealed Bass) series would work. I'd start with the SB-1000, and consider SVS's Outlet Store offerings to save a few bucks.

8 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

OP-What are you trying to achieve with an upgrade?

As to which subwoofer to pair with Heresy's-I recommend a sealed sub because the Heresy's are a sealed speaker. A sealed sub with have a tighter, snappier bass which will match the acoustic suspension design of the Heresy's best. I'm attracted to SVS's  "SB" (Sealed Bass) series would work. I'd start with the SB-1000, and consider SVS's Outlet Store offerings to save a few bucks.

Thank You... I will look into that.

I have V1.5, so similar but different than yours. The A55 is a problem with the k53 being bolt on, I haven’t found an adapter yet. I bought ALK universal x-over, very nice sound. Swapped out K22k woofer (not sure what you have for woofers) for B&C 12CL76, also nice. Seal the interior seams, neoprene all interior including motor board and rear door, new 5 way binding posts and 12awg interior cables. That’s a good start! Rejuvenate the veneer (good to begin, better now) e.g. with Howard or Watco. I need to learn more about bracing!

If they sound good now, all i’d really consider is the caps (do you solder?) or full x-over, and take care of the wood.

Re, sub, I have a Velodyne 10DD from great seller on Canada Audio Mart. I am happy with this combo.

10 hours ago, MC39693 said:

If they sound good now, all i’d really consider is the caps (do you solder?) or full x-over, and take care of the wood.

I just recapped a pair of H2s.  What a bear.   New caps won't fit on the terminal cup and had to be relocated on a separate board.

20180203_144247.jpg

22 hours ago, MC39693 said:

I have V1.5, so similar but different than yours. The A55 is a problem with the k53 being bolt on, I haven’t found an adapter yet. I bought ALK universal x-over, very nice sound. Swapped out K22k woofer (not sure what you have for woofers) for B&C 12CL76, also nice. Seal the interior seams, neoprene all interior including motor board and rear door, new 5 way binding posts and 12awg interior cables. That’s a good start! Rejuvenate the veneer (good to begin, better now) e.g. with Howard or Watco. I need to learn more about bracing!

Re, sub, I have a Velodyne 10DD from great seller on Canada Audio Mart. I am happy with this combo.

Yes, I solder.  I will check out the 10DD

Thanks

Ah, yes as CECAA850 said, the V2 recap is more painful than on my V1.5 with a full x-over board and rear hatch.

With soldering you can go crazy picking caps. Someone else can suggest a good set for your V2.

I have only seen 2 used 10DD in my Province in a about 8 months so tricky to find esp if you want local sale to audition and save on shipping.  I should have bought the second one, still waiting to see another.  Good luck with that search.