Heresy II - how'd I do?

wuzzzer

2 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

On their stands and rockin'!  Confirmed that all drivers are working.

Really exceptional midrange and the bass is very tight and defined, even with them a couple feet off the floor.

Listening to my free spotify premium trial right now to get accustomed to their sound.

20180409_144058.jpg

I bet they blend very well with your SVS SB's.  60Hz LPF?

Bill

7 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

My receiver jumps from 50 to 80Hz for the crossover.  Currently at 80Hz.

I'd set them higher than that.  La Scalas start to roll off at 100 Hz, and Heresys have less powerful bass response than La Scalas.  I'd recommend setting them at 100 Hz to start, and then do some test runs from 200 Hz down to 40 or so, using a bass test CD and a sound level meter.  That way, you'll soon see if you have any unwanted peaks or dips in the crossover region.

Also, you're right to listen to your new speakers for a while to get accustomed to their sound.  When I got my La Scalas (the speakers that were the beginning of all the madness for me), they were 32 years old, and the capacitors were original.  As well, the tweeter output had a 2-3 dB difference between the two, which did not help the stereo imaging at all.

Very soon, I did a mod to tame the shoutiness of the squawker, by placing 3 layers of grille cloth in front of it, and applied Dynamat to the K400 aluminum horn.  Otherwise, it was 3 months before I ordered new Sonicaps and CT-125 tweeters from Bob Crites.  When they arrived, I replaced the caps first, and listened carefully.  There was a definite improvement in the sound.  The next day, the new tweeters went in, and there was more improvement.  The CT-125s varied only about 0.5 dB between them, which might have been below the margin of error with the Radio Shack SPL meter, so they might be dead on matched.  The sound was better, and so was the stereo imaging.

It's important to only make one change at a time, or you won't know which did what.  And if you're not really familiar with the "as-received" sound of your speakers, you won't be sure what any changes you make will have done to the sound.

Good luck, and happy listening!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Peter P. said:

How did you manage to pull off that $100 heist?!

Were they displayed  inside somebody's trench coat? Meth addict in need of cash or little old lady's need to feed the orphans?

It was a nice couple moving from a 4 bed 3 bath house to a 2 bed 2 bath house.  From the guy's body language it was clear that his wife had told him the speakers had to go.  He told me more than once that he took great care of them and to please do the same.

• Like 3

Well I listened to both Wall discs and the entire Dark Side of the Moon.  I'm not sure how loud I was listening but I always set my main speakers to 0 for their level trim and I had the volume at -10 to -5 at times.  It was loud and it was incredible.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

It was a nice couple moving from a 4 bed 3 bath house to a 2 bed 2 bath house.  From the guy's body language it was clear that his wife had told him the speakers had to go.  He told me more than once that he took great care of them and to please do the same.

I feel sad for a guy whose wife thinks Heresys are too big.  When I bought a pair of Heresy IIs from a young guy in what was probably a 2-bedroom apartment, he told me he was selling them to help pay for the La Scalas he'd just bought.  It appeared that his girlfriend was fine with having those two big black boxes in the living room.

Maybe if your Heresys had been black, it would have been different.  When I noted that the black La Scalas that seemed huge at first gradually became part of the room and seemed to fit right in, a number of forum members posted that they'd noticed the same thing with their black La Scalas.  Are we deluding ourselves?  Who knows, but they sure sound good.

On 4/8/2018 at 7:53 PM, wuzzzer said:

I love the look of these.  I'm keeping these 100% original.  No crossover work, no diaphragm changes, no staining the cabinets.  Just a little dusting, detailing and listening.

They're not as mint as I was hoping but for their age they're gorgeous.  Some pencil marks from a kid I assume.  Have to track down an eraser.

Also, is there a name for this style and color of grill?

You can seal them with a water based finish that will not darken or foul up the natural wood color in anyway

Has to be water based as even so called "crystal clear" lacquer will darken light colored wood

I've done a few pairs like that and the results were gorgeous

Keeps the wood clean and protected from moisture   

• Thanks 1

Taking a closer look at the cabinets there are what look like pencil marks in a few places and some slightly rough areas on the edges and elsewhere.  Will I hurt anything by lightly sanding with 0000 steel wool?  Should I try a pencil eraser or something else for the pencil marks?

On 4/11/2018 at 8:37 PM, wuzzzer said:

I really like the look of mine in stock form.

Listening to a little Dire Straits right now.  Money For Nothin'!

I like the way they look also.

Are you listening to the Canadian version, or the uncensored version of Money For Nothing?

17 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

I like the way they look also.

Are you listening to the Canadian version, or the uncensored version of Money For Nothin’?

Uncensored I'm assuming since they use a term that's quite frowned upon these days.

5 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

Uncensored I'm assuming since they use a term that's quite frowned upon these days.

“Color TVs?”  :rolleyes:

It only took Canada 26 years to ban the 1985 hit in 2011.  They have sinced changed their frozen, or should I say f****n,’ minds and lifted the ban.  I have recordings of both versions.

Took some 0000 steel wool and removed what looked like pencil marks and some other marks on the cabinets.  Made a nice difference when you're looking at them up close.  Also cleaned up what look like lipstick drawn in the letter 'D' on the grille that was only visible close up.  

Excited for the new place my wife and I are moving to next month.  It has higher ceilings and I'll be able to space the speakers farther apart to give them some room to breathe.

Going to follow @analogman 's advice and get some water based clear sealer for the cabinets after we move.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

Going to follow @analogman 's advice and get some water based clear sealer for the cabinets after we move.

Good plan.

You could also opt for an oil based clear coat like what I stained my natural cherry speaker stands with.

Minwax Wipe-On Interior Polyurethanepost-24680-0-81060000-1406859738_thumb.j

Oil based like above does darken the wood a bit so the water based suggestion may be a better solution if you like the shade your Heresy II HBR's are now.

I am looking forward to see how it turns out because my "naked" Heresy I HBR's need some protection.

Bill

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, willland said:

Oil based like above does darken the wood a bit so the water based suggestion may be a better solution if you like the shade your Heresy II HBR's are now.

I just had to edit my post.  Change in bold above.

Bill