Is this a good setup for a newbie?

Judge17

Well heres what im thinking of getting

KENWOOD VR-6050 $299

SONY CDPCX455 $299

JBL Northridge Series Floor Speaker with Dual 10" Woofers Model: ND310 II $299.99 Each so it would 2 so $600

Im new at this so plz dont laugh if i got this configured way wrong. Any help would be apreciated.2.gif

I'm not sure why you are asking the Klipsch board about speakers and electronics unrelated to Klipsch, but since I'm pretty new as well and not much of a thought leader on all the tube talk found on the 2-channel board, I'll get some floor time with the following response.

For similar money to what you listed I bought a vintage system which would be an alternative to new stuff at the local new electronics retailer. You can also sell the stuff for around what you paid if you don't like it.

Two floor standing speakers: 1976 Klipsch Cornwalls $860/pr (beautiful walnut oil)

Dynaco ST-70 tube amp & Dynaco PAS 3 pre-amp -- $350 for the pair.

Beogram 3000 turntable w/Sure cart $110

I also have a CD player. I'm still using my old amp until the Dynaco arrives.

well i would add klipsch but ever since i bought the promedia 4.1s and had to take 3 sets back i decided to try something else now i dont know if klipsch makes stuff more reliable then the promedia speakers but if you guys could give me some info on some stuff i would apreciate it. Im looking to spend somewhere between $1000 to $1500 max so any thoughts would be greatly apreciated.

THX THE JUDGE9.gif

10/8/2002 7:41:28 PM Judge17 wrote:

well i would add klipsch but ever since i bought the promedia 4.1s and had to take 3 sets back i decided to try something else now i dont know if klipsch makes stuff more reliable then the promedia speakers but if you guys could give me some info on some stuff i would apreciate it.

You hear alot of people complaining about the Pro Media's, but if you spend alot of time on this forum, one thing you don't hear is people complaining about their towers. You could get the RF-3II's for almost the same price online. Or you could always buy their synergy line. Its all on their web page, great speakers and very reliable.

Hey, I am #8 in posts on this entire forum and I don't own Klipsch, so lay off him!!!

Yes, the Northridge series is good stuff. Some Klipsch would be better for the price range you are in, so look at that. Either get used stuff or get new stuff (biggets Synergy or smallers Reference system.) You can get some smokin' deals on unauthorized Klipsch gear at unauthorized online dealers, try www.pricescan.com to start with.

Good luck and enjoy!

I own a pair of JBL Northridge series N-28s and N-38s.

They are the baby brothers of the speakers you have in mind.

IMO. they aren't bad speakers.

Not the finest build quality.

But they do sound O.K.

A little flat in the midrange and kind of nasaly in the high.

But, none the less, O.K.

If you want clarity--go with Klipsch.

I recently went through a crusade to find the BEST sounding 5.25" bookshelf loudspeaker for around $200 a set.

Of all that I reviewed in my month long quest, the one that rose above the rest was the Klipsch SB-1.

I bought a set.

I've sampled my pair on various types of amplifiers and have found them to work well with all.

For $100 a piece, I'm happy.

I'm currently using them as the "speaker B" in my office 5.1 set up.

They sound great all by their lonesomes.

Enjoy your quest.

Be sure to sample as much as you can in your home.

For less than what you intend to pay for those JBL's new, you can get a very nice pair of used Heresys on eBay. They regularly go for under that all the time. Hell, you could probably even get a really nice pair of Cornwalls. Trust me, once you hear Cornwalls, you will forget all about those JBL's you are talking about!! The older so-called "heritage" line of speakers are NOT gonna break down on you, either!! There is a big difference between computer speakers and home audio speakers, anyway!!!

Why buy something now in speakers that you will want to upgrade from later on, when you can spend the same(or less) money NOW, and have something you will keep the rest of your life...with no upgrades ever needed!?!?!?!? Think about it!!

Cornwalls are very dependable...built to last a lifetime or two...haven't been made in the last few years, but were made for over 40 years and are an outstanding speaker!! If they were still manufactured today, they would cost over 3,000 bucks a pair!! You can find nice ones on eBay for around $600 or so ...up to over $1200!!

Over time you will tend to upgrade components, but remember that the speakers are the heart of the system...it doesn't matter what else you have, without great speakers, your system has no heart!! Why start out with a weak heart?

My 4 Cents:

JBL makes decent speakers for the money. I own a pair of the N-26's, which are currently pulling rear duties in My HT setup. Now I don't know exactly how Low those dual 10's will go, and if your thinking about running these without a sub or not (If they get lower than about 40HZ and Your Planning running without a SUB then they may be a decent choice). But, IMHO at least a 1" Tweeter is a must for better detail in Music and Home Theater.

If I Had about $600.00 to spend on a new pair of Speaks these would be the models I'd consider (again I have a sub for HT):

(1)Klipsch RF-3II's - ($550 - $700) = (IMO) Best bang for the buck Very Solid all-rounder. The Best Dynamics\Clarity of the lot that I'll list here besides the "Heritage" (sp?) of course. In the end, I Bought these for my music\theater setup and couldn't be happier16.gif

(2)Klipsch Heritage line - These have a huge following around here. The only experince I have was listening to a pair of la scalas back in 95'(Guam, Andersen Air Force Base). These are some sweet speakers.... (We Filled a "Air craft Hanger" with some Beautiful Music with a pair of these) But, these are out of your\my budget Range.

(3)Paradigm - Monitor\Studio Series'- If it weren't for My Klipsch purchase, I would have ended up with all "Digms" all around. In fact I bought a pair of the mini monitors for the Hell of it after the Klipsch purchase (B Ch. Inside\outside duties).

(4)B&W & Definitive Tech - Makes good speakers (worth the audition) can get costly real quick like!!!

(5) JBL Studio - *Note* (1" tweeters, 4" midranges, 8-12 woofers) could be had for $320 - $800 give or take.

Into Theater? (2) pair of S38's= 650-$700 online

More music & maybe Theater later? (1)pair of S310 or S312= 650-$750 online

(6) klipsch SF-2, Paradigm Performance series, JBL Northridge, Polk audio, Boston Acoustics, and on and on......

*Other Bigtime Receivers to look at:

Denon 2802 - about $500 online

Outlaw 1050 - about $500 online

Yamaha x630 - about $320 online

Pioneer 850S - about $350 online

Denon 1803 - about $350 online

Check out: www.etronics.com (www.outlawaudio.com (www.brandnamez.com (www.reliableaudiovideo.com

*Couple CD players to consider(Probably beter audio quality)

Sony ES m555 5 disc(sacd) $380-600

Sony ES m222 5 disc(sacd) $215-400

Cambridge Audio D500SE (I just bought this one) $379-450

Sony ES cd 70es 5 disc(was considering this one myself) $215-299

Cambridge Audio D300SE $299

Check out: www.crutchfield.com (www.oade.com (www.audioadvisor.com

***Don't count out the used markets on any of the Speakers, Receivers, Amps, or Cd players you might like!!! Look here: www.audiogon.com (www.ebay.com

Sorry for the long post. I guess the biggest point I'd like to make is, the sky's the limit when it comes to your new audio purchases. Of Course 97% of the people here are gonna Vote for "Klipsch Speakers" regardless the different makes and models (Duh, This is the Klipsch Forum and Bet your still a undercover klipsch Fan). But, at the end of the day it's gonna come down to your Wants and Needs in speakers. Don't get caught up in the "local Circuit City & Best Buy" stuffs cause even if you decide to purchase JBL speakers the bigger better deals are online. Lastly, I can almost "guarantee" that if you were to go out to some other Audio Store IE; (Tweeter\Klipsch or shop that carries B&W\Paradigm etc). That you'll end up with something other than JBL!!!!

Now I'll Buy That for A Dollar!!!

2.gif

Good Luck & Happy Huntin'

J

If you are going to spend anywhere near $500 on amplification, I would opt out of the receiver range; listen, the sound differences between all these receivers is minimal compared to a quality amplifier and preamp or good integrated amp. You dont want tubes? Very understandable. But going with the Sony, Yamaha, Denon, Kenwood, Pioneer approach is going to net you mediocre sound that is more alike than different. For the same ducats, wisely used via Audiogon, or even ebay, you will walk away with a system that will smoke the doors off almost any all-in-one receiver option, with mediocre power supply, op amps, and a plethora of buttons and switches and an LED display the size of a K-Mart clock radio.

What is a dirt cheap system?

B&K Pro 10 MC w/ Phono should go in the $200 range

A nice, simple little SS preamp that has the capability to go passive. One of the best phono stages in this price range and bone simple. Has a separate power supply. The guy doing this auction is a frootbat, but the gear is not.

LINK: B&K Pro 10 MC via ebay

st-202.jpg

B&K ST-202 Amplifier price in the $300 range

One of my all-time favorite solid state amplifiers for the money. Very tube-like and when mated with good pre and vinyl, a dream amp that is very dependable and better than 100% of the junk you can get at Circuit City/Tweeter/Best Buy/Crutchfield. I have to say this is a bullet-proof amp that would last many, many years, sounding better than any solid state offering around this price range. It eats up units from Adcom and Rotel sounding far more dimensional and alive, almost tube-like in tone. Equally at home with rock or Jazz, acoustic or electric.

LINK: B&K ST-202 Ad

Jolida JD1301 via Ebay going for CHEAP

Ok, I dont recommend hybrids that often, but here is a 12AX7 tube pre into a MOSFET out Jolida that has gotten almost no bad comments. This little amp will more than likely wipe up every SS receiver and integrated anywhere near the price. Now, a neat wood faceplate is available for it as well as well (only $30 in Cherry or Walnut) as well as some serious upgrades from a company called Response Audio. I kind of want one to play with myself!

LINK: Jolida JD-1301

Jolida JD-1703 Will go for under $400

OK...I have never recommended these before but I am now thinking these little beasts might fit a good niche here. And this thing will go CHEAP and rock the foundation. 12AX7 Tube pre stage with 50wpc of MOSFET output. Hardly anything negative about this amps. I like the concept. EDIT: This is ACTUALLY the 1703 model and NOT the 1701. The 1703 is 75wpc with THREE CHANNELS (it has three 12AX7 in the pre as well). Info is on the Jolida website. My rec came more from the 1701 vantage but this might be a great value as well.

LINK: Jolida JD-1703

Jolida JD-102B tube integrated about $550 brand new

I told Shapeshifter to get this amp used awhile back and he loved the little beast. It uses EL-84 and is simple and a great little amp. Got a good review at Enjoy the music.com. I love the little EL-84 tube.

The main thing is that ALL OF THE ABOVE are so much better than any receiver or stock mid-fi integrated! And none require soldering skill to get on the road. Yes, the vintage tube amp option is compelling and a great option. But for those looking for simple and turn key, the above are some cant lose options.

....perhaps to be continued.

Mobile's used separates approach will be far more gratifying than the budget Jap receiver alternative.

For speakers, I second the used Heresy approach for great music but will include used KG4's - which can be gotten for very cheap - and provide outstanding music particularly if your tastes tend to the heavier rock genre.